THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Shooting Test for Hunt Participants - Followup

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Test for Hunt Participants - Followup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About a year ago, I solicited input on conducting a shooting test for participants in a controlled deer hunt that I manage. I got some really good suggestions and a lot of support from posters on this board. Well, it's a year later and one hunt down (of 3 scheduled) and the results are in.

Wounding rates were significantly down this year after we required each participant to shoot 3 shots out of 3 into an 8" target at 75 yards. The hunters were 12 - 14 year-olds, and the "test" was pretty intimidating to many of them, but they perservered and all passed - some after some "remedial training", equipment adjustments, and a second try.

It was interesting to note that of those who had problems, they were basically equipment issues - something that the parents didn't take care of. Maybe they aren't knowledgeable enough to coach the kids. One borrowed the uncle's rifle the day before, then after the kid shot it a few times, Dad went to the store and bought some more bullets - different brand and weight. Didn't think that a different load would make any difference. Another had one of those cheap ($6.95) air rifle scopes attached to the lever gun. Even with the scope bottomed out, it shot 6" high at 75 yards. Don't think it will be good for more than a few shots, but the kid killed 2 does with the set up! Another Dad had his 75 lb kid shooting his Encore with a .300 Win Mag barrel on it. The kid was CRYING after 3 shots (all on target). Dad said he had a .243 barrel for the gun, but thought the bigger bullet would work better.

They weren't all horror stories. Many of the parents were knowledgeable and had outfitted the kids well - and equipped them with the attitude and training they needed. The tradition continues.

Last year we had about 15 deer wounded and lost during the 2 day hunt. This year our wounded total was 4. Yes that's still too many, but we'll continue to work at it.

We hosted 22 kids last Friday and Saturday and they weighed in 38 antlerless deer. Hopefully they took home more than venison - I know I did.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and input!

Dave

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Tahnks for the report, and for taking the time to influence our young people. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
*15* wounded and lost last year? Ouch.

Good on you for bringing hunting to the kids.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that is awesome what you are doing for the kids. 4 is a way better number than 15 and good work on the training.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a significant improvement. Kudos are certainly due for your work with this program.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
excellent, excellent, excellent - teaching kids to shoot while teaching them why Put a big red S on your chest

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Good positive story, Dave. Thanks a whole bunch for your work with the kids and thatnks for sharing it with us! Now if we could only convince adults to take the shooting test before heading out to the field.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whitworth - I figured "what's good for the goose..." and am requiring the same for our adult hunters. That hunt is going on now - and I required them to pass the same "test". Most of them had little trouble, but 2 (of 23) had to move their zero to hit paper! One guy's scope mount was loose and his 7mm mag pointed it out pretty quick!

Several didn't see the need to adjust sights since they were "only 3 left and 4 low" at 75 yards. Why wouldn't you move the scope and fire another shot??? I don't understand...

About 90% of our adult hunters know what they're doing - and do fine in the field, but that other 10% is the part that the shooting test identifies. Too bad you have to run everybody through to identify the minority.

Until then...

Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Acer,
I want to congratulate you on using your valuable personal time to train and influence both young and old hunters involved in the hunt you described. It is because of peple like you that we can all enjoy hunting. SOMEONE taught us, and for those kids (and a few parents), you were THAT SOMEONE.
Your efforts will (and have) influence those kids for a lifetime.
Thanks from all who enjoy hunting,
LongBowGuy

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Acer, thanks for the report, but a bigger thank you for your work bringing youth to the hunting fields.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Dave -- glad to hear that you are also requiring the test for adults as well. It's mind boggling to me that a hunter would not want to make sure that his rig is dialed in. I am obsessive about this to the point that I go to the range and practice as many times as I can before every hunt (when possible) and at the very minimum check my zero before the hunt -- this is an absolute must IMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
There is a long tradition of this in Scotland. When a visiting hunter turns up at an estate to go deer stalking, the stalker will "invite" the guest to shoot at a target. He willing usually say something like "would sir like to check the zero of his rifle after his long trip?". What he actually means is "get down there and show me you can actually shoot that rifle before I take you out on the mountain to hunt one of my stags".

The accepted standard of accuracy is usually 3 shots in a 4 inch circle at 100-120 yards. First time I had to do it I was a bundle of nerves.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Claret_Dabbler:
There is a long tradition of this in Scotland. When a visiting hunter turns up at an estate to go deer stalking, the stalker will "invite" the guest to shoot at a target. He willing usually say something like "would sir like to check the zero of his rifle after his long trip?". What he actually means is "get down there and show me you can actually shoot that rifle before I take you out on the mountain to hunt one of my stags".

The accepted standard of accuracy is usually 3 shots in a 4 inch circle at 100-120 yards. First time I had to do it I was a bundle of nerves.

So Brian, does that mean you are required to fire 3 shots, even if the 1st (and possibly 2nd) shot proved your sight-in was correct?? That could give away the real purpose of the shooting exercise, as opposed to the official "check sights" reason... Wink
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Mike, everybody knows the real reason for the three shot group is to test your marksmanship. The gillie in general will phrase it like a request / suggestion, but nobody is in any doubt what is actually meant.

If you are known to the stalkers, they may not ask you to do this. A friend of mine went to an estate in Perthshire a few years ago. When he went to shoot at the "iron stag" there was a handy picnic bench nearby. He asked the gillie if it was okay to take his shots of the bench. Stalker said that was fine, "as long as you plan on carrying the bench up the mountain on your back..."

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote