New
Find
Notify
Tools

D-Day
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Time to take my M1 Garand to the range and bust caps on bunch of FMJs. Heck, I may even fix my 1942 bayonet (the LONG one for king-sized Nazis).

That's how I commemorate the liberation of Europe.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go get'em Grizzly! [Wink]

Seriously, it is important to remember history - it took us to where we are, for the better or the worse. Could be there is something to learn from the whole experience?? Maybe: friends and family should stick together??

- mike

[ 06-06-2003, 19:09: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually have a mass said in the honor of the two members of my family that made the ultimate sacrifice. One on the USS Bunker Hill and the other in a B-17 over Bremen.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There really is something about holding an old M-1. I'm 33 and think of the old men I see in parades that went through hell gripping one of these, brings a tear to my eye sometimes.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both an M1 and an M1903 are on my list of things to buy this year.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
My late Dad hunted as a kid but never picked up a weapon again after returning from WWII. He was in N. Afrika, Sicily and Italy.

When I got my first Garand, I asked him if he remembered how to strip it. He took it from me and had it stripped in about a minute! That after not having even seen one for 50+ years!

He never spoke of his experiences, but did tell me that he was issued a Winchester at Fort Hood Texas, and he carried it till the end of the war.

I now have two Winchester Garands, along with my Dad's WWII dog tags. One to leave to each of my kids...

[ 06-13-2003, 21:10: Message edited by: Pa.Frank ]

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My oldest Uncle was my hero from the time I was about 5 years old, he had served in the pacific and the asian actions as a grunt and a sniper at the end in Burma,he gave up hunting with a rifle when he came back,my dad said it never gave him any thrill with the rifle any more,When my dad got back from Korea he was the same way, aand I was after Vietnam for awhile, I now have my Unlces last issued 03A4, and the ole man's M1 carbine, every time I take them out I think of both.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
I am blessed with an M2 carbine. It has a berral stamped 2-44. I just ran several magazines through it. I wish it could tell me who of the greatest generation used it and where!!!
Jeff

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
There really is something about holding an old M-1. I'm 33 and think of the old men I see in parades that went through hell gripping one of these, brings a tear to my eye sometimes.

November 11 is Rememberence Day in Canada.

When I was a Boy Scout, we used to help out for the Rememberence Day Parade. To this day, I cannot help but come close to tears when I see the old vet's selling poppies (Don't know if you guys do this in the USA) around this time of year.

I look at these guys, and they have their old uniforms on, and are covered in ribbons and medals.

These have always struck me as the bravest men I'll ever meet.

My grandfather (gone now) served in WWI. When he was a kid, I asked him (in typical kid fashion) "how many Germans did you kill?"

He responded- "None. I was a radioman.I just got shot through both legs."

I later learned (after his death) that he was indeed a radioman. But he and 4 other soldiers broke the back of a German advance on a Canadian position by making accurate and fast rifle shots when everything else was in dissaray.

Without my grandfather and the other guys, they would have been overrun...

Anyways...When I take my M1 Garand or one of my SMLE's in hand, I feel a connection to history.

A friend of mine- not a shooter- but a student of history...makes a point of shooting up all my Garand and SMLE and Mauser ammo when he visits [Big Grin]

Never forget the vets....

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad was an infantryman in Europe, fighting in France, Germany, and Austria. I bought my Garand through the CMP 3 years ago and took my dad out to the range. It was very moving to see the look in his eyes as he handled it. We lost him a few months later. Our vets are truely our national treasures. God bless them.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gates,

quote:
I look at these guys, and they have their old uniforms on, and are covered in ribbons and medals.These have always struck me as the bravest men I'll ever meet.
Very true, we owe them a debt that can never be repaid. I have family members that paid the price in both World Wars and personal friends in the Viet Nam War. I find that the older I get, they are in my thoughts more and more regardless of the time of year.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote