THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    transit through the US with Firearms.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

transit through the US with Firearms.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents.

Pardon my ignorance - I'm hoping to be heading up to Canada via Houston from the UK - as I am 'in transit' what regulations do I need to adhere to for this trip?

Any help or warnings will be much appreciated.

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be ok as you must have all the paperwork just to get the guns that far. However I would still avoid the state of New Jersey.

If you have any pistols then all bets are off but avoid New Jersey and New York for sure.

Perhaps the NRA's site has links to information? www.nra.org

I would have many copies of each document with me. Don't you hate it when you hand your lic. to some "beefed up security" and they go out of sight with it?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Entering Canada will probably be more of a headache than stateside travel. I'd suggest you check the BATF site for info, and the Canadian Firearms site.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, as long as you have the proper paperwork for the firearms, you just register them at the border to Canada. You get a temporary registration/possesion permit and it costs $50 CDN (about $35 US). Pistols and other restricted weaponss are a little more difficult, but they are do-able as well, as long as you're headed to a competition or some such. There is no legal handgun hunting in Canada. There are permits for guides, trappers, and miners, but I think they're pretty hard to get. There are also provisions in the law for carry permits for self defense, but good luck getting one. The CFC site would probably have more data. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Don't try it without doing your homework. You'd think that travelling through the most gun friendly country in the world would be easy....its not! I was not able to take my firearms through the US enroute to RSA last May. Unless the regulations have changed over the year, you will have the same problems. I have described my story here a number of times, so I will not go into too great of detail. If you would like specifics, feel free to e-mail me.

The short story is that every gun going into or through the US needs paper. Unfortunately the type of paper you need doesn't exist, or can only be had if you are a US citizen.

The temporary import permit for hunting does not apply. It only applies if you enter the country with a firearm for legitimate hunting or competitive shooting purposes, and return to your home country. To leave the US with a firearm you have to be returning to your home country or you will need a permit from the US State Dept which allows that. Unfortunately only US citizens can get these permits.

My advice...don't try to go through the US. Sadly, but truly, non-US sportsmen are better off going through places like Heathrow and Frankfurt than they are going through any airport in the US. No offence intended, its just the way it has become.

Last I heard, they were working on the legislative oversight that created this problem, but I have yet to hear if it has been solved.

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canuck.

You are right - transporting firearms through the US does appear to have descended into farce - truly 'therein lies the way to madness!!'

Checked with BATF and found the following example:

Q39. I live in Canada and have to fly through Dallas/Ft. Worth airport when I fly from Canada to South America. Do I need to obtain a Form 6NIA import permit from ATF for this trip if I am traveling with a gun? Does it make any difference if I stay in the airport the entire time I'm there or if I spend the night in Dallas before continuing on to South America?

A. The same answer applies whether you stay in the airport or leave the airport and spend the night. You do not need to obtain a Form 6NIA import permit from ATF because you are not entering the United States for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes. However, you do need to obtain a temporary import license (DSP-61) from the U.S. State Department, Office of Defense Trade Controls (ODTC) (202-663-2714). You should contact the ODTC for details. In addition, you should obtain a hunting license (if you do not fall within any other exception), if you will be taking possession of the firearm or ammunition in the United States (for example, taking it with you in the airport). Otherwise your possession will be illegal. Moreover, you must ensure your possession does not violate State or local law. We suggest you contact State and local law enforcement authorities to inquire about any prohibitions

If I read this correctly, to transit the US, I require a DSP-61 from the ODTC as well as a HUNTING LICENSE - for transiting the airport!?! Give me strength!

While I look forward to actually hunting in the US - travelling through it seems too much like hard work! [Mad]

Rgds Ian

[ 05-05-2003, 14:51: Message edited by: IanF ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:

Last I heard, they were working on the legislative oversight that created this problem, but I have yet to hear if it has been solved.

Canuck

I hate to say it, too, but Canuck is right -- we tried to help him last year but no dice.

The interpretation is not even supported by the law or regulation in question, and the result is just downright silly. But it's been almost impossible to get attention to smaller-scale issues with terrorism, the war in Iraq, etc.

Still working on it.

Regards,

John Frazer
NRA Federal Affairs

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
IanF
My question to you is why in hell are you going to Canada through TX!!!!! Fly into Toronto or something!! Then you only have to worry about Canadian customs! Or shipp you guns to the location you wish to hunt in Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gun Nut

Take it as read - I WAS going through the US - not any longer. Following the information above - I've ended up looking at exactly what you suggest. Damn, I'm glad I asked before booking a 'cheap' flight deal! This forum has been a real help over the years. Thanks folks!

Rgds Ian [Smile]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To all who are wondering; Afriend of mine went to Africa again on a hunt in May. He was NOT allowed to ship his weapons with his luggage through the US. He could not go through the states at all with them,and he used to be a Ranger! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Ian

Where have you decided to hunt???

Are you moose hunting?

Is this your first trip to Canada?

My gal is in the UK right now, she went on the trip that I was unable to make this time...I'm sure she is having fun in Jolly Ol' England. I sure did when I was there last! [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am planning a varmint/predator hunt for 2004 that would have me travel to Canada, hunt there, then move on to continue hunting in Texas, before returning to Italy.

What I have gethered here is, that If I fly into either Canada or Texas directly from Itlay I would not encounter any problems.

Though should I try to go from Canada to the States as a non citizen, I would not be allowed to take my firearm?

The form I require for temporary export of a firearm even states that it should be considered valid for it time of course in any further countries traveled to!!!

Would it be possible to get into Canada, with my rifle; once there "sell" it to my guide, he takes it through to the States, there I just take off with it and head back to Europe, leaving him to justify not having it with him any more because he sold it to some Texan????
Wouldn't that just be so much more simple??? [Eek!]

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse.

Yes, a first trip for me - I'm intending a November Moose hunt - probably in Northern Alberta.

Hoping to hunt the gutpile the next day - then call for wolf/Yote/predators for the rest of the time.

Any suggestions always welcome!

Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dress warm. Seriously, if you want to talk Alberta hunting just send me a PM, and I'll try and answer any questions you have. - Dan

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
November? Brrr...

Like Dan said, dress warm!

There is no cold like Prairie Cold!

I've never hunted in Alberta, but I think their moose are not nearly as cool as our BC moose. But they don't have to pay PST... [Wink]

Somewhere around Edmonton?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if SCI, NRA or any other organization is even attempting to address this problem?

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Does anyone know if SCI, NRA or any other organization is even attempting to address this problem?

Yes, I'm a lobbyist at NRA.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our moose are generally smaller then the yukon/alaskan branch of the family, except up in the NW corner of the province. You're still talking a lot of 50-60 inch moose though. - Dan