Find
Notify
Tools

RainX on scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody done this? Does it work?

RainX works great on my windshield: It beads up the water and doesn't distort the view when it's not raining.

I'm thinking about buying a Bushnell with the Rainguard, but I really like the eye relief and mildot reticles on my Leupolds. So I'd rather make them work. Without getting a little removeable lens cap that'll get lost.

I'm headed to rainy Idaho. Last year my Leupold got to where it was unusable in the heavy rain.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,

FYI, I just called Leupold technical services. I fully expected to get the safe corporate, "No don't do it; it voids the warranty and ruins the coatings, just buy our AlumiCote RainCote cover...", but instead they said yes, no problem. RainX works, and they've had great luck with a product called ClearView, too.

Hope this is useful to other folks out there, as well.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try on my binoculars.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lhook7,

You're welcome. I was pretty happy with the answer. What a bunch of good folks at Leupold.

And I've never had an unknowlegeable person try to fake answering a technical question there, either.

Another optical vendor's rep kept telling me exit pupil on their 2.5-10x40 was 3.3inches, and the eye relief was 3mm. Wouldn't budge on it, either. Absolutely adamant.

Not at Leupold, though.

Steve

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
skl1,

I haven't tried it so, I don't know for sure but, I did talk to a couple of fellow hunters that tried it and they said it distorts the image (Blurry) and that it was heck to get off.

That was some years back, maybe the rain X is alittle better now? Leupold may be right, it may work.

Give us a report if you find it is useful.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
hello everyone,

I haven't used RainX on my Leupold, or any other scope for that matter, but I can tell you it is awfully difficult to apply it on my windshield without streaking/clouding.

The secret is patience and a little elbow grease. Though it does take a while to rub out the streaking, I always make sure my glass comes out crysal clear, night and day, inside and out.

Seeing that the techs at Leupold give it their endorsement, I'll try it too.

Just be prepared for some initial work at application, and go sparingly!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
It works great!
I apply it several times during the season to my scopes am binoculars thumb

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote