New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borden Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Borden Hunting rifles? I received their catalog and am considering ordering something like my old favorite 270 Winchester or maybe even one of the WSM's in one of their Big Game Series rifles.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
From what I hear directly from Jim Borden, as well as other top makers, he is producing his own rifle actions and stocks and has spared no expense to build the most accurate rifle he can build. As he knows how to shoot (Benchrest hall of fame) they should be fine shooting rifles.
I have two of his stocks on my using rifles and love them. I personally think they are the best out there.

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of outfits sell accurate rifles, but do they feed flawlessly? That's where D'Arcy Echols puts his effort.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys--what is the story on D'arcy Wayne? Does he have a website? At any rate the Borden Rifles look pretty good, just wondering about the details, such as feeding, consistency etc.
Appreciate it --D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
458Win

I don't think Echols and Borden can be compared. By that I mean if someone owned the Echols rifle and then had to pick their second choice and their choice etc they would wind back at a standard Model 70 or some base rifle on a Mauser. The person with the Boren, Nesila, Prairie Gun Works etc would work their way back to a Rem 700 Sendero.....

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I understand you reasoning about "winding their way back" for a second choice. D'Arcy makes his rifles for serious hunters with reliability the top priority. Borden makes his with accuracy first and foremost. If I'm choosing a rifle for rugged field use I'll pick one of D'Arcys. If I need top accuracy I know D'Arcy's will shoot great but I'd still go with a Borden.
Horses for Courses.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Wayne, D'Arcy was one of the "top makers" I was referring to. He holds Jim Borden in high reguards. But you are correct about waiting to find out about how well the Borden rifles operates - as opposed to just shooting. If I had to buy a new rifle, and stake my life on it working (and working well), it would be one of D'Arcys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
D'Arcy Echols

98 West 300 South

Millville, UT 43261

phone 1 435 755 6842

fax 1 435 753 2367

email legend@bridgernet.com

Allen Day is also a big fan of D'Arcy's. I believe he has four of his Legend rifles. I have one, a .300 Win Mag.

Allen was exceptionally helpful to me when I was researching which riflemaker to choose. I had previously considered Borden Rifles, Ed Brown, Les Webernick, Hill Country and Kenny Jarrett. After I read what Allen sent me, and spoke with two other Legend owners, plus John Barsness, I became convinced I should order from Echols.

One note worth mentioning is that D'Arcy will build a rifle in belted magnum calibers only because they are what he has found to feed best. An exception is the .270 Win. on request. He will not consider the new short magnums such as .270 WSM.

He is also more expensive than all, if not most of the others, and does not make his own action, but rather begins with a stock Winchester Model 70. He then proceeds to perform some 83 separate machining operations on it, makes a new stainless steel magazine box and follower, puts on a cryogenically treated and deep blued Kreiger barrel, and a McMillan stock of his own pattern. He machines his own scope rings and bases. It came with a Leupold 3.5x10x40 Vari-X III. It's an all black rifle.

D'Arcy also fires 40 to 100 rounds through your before he'll deliver it to you. Mine came with several targets, one of which had a three shot group printed at .358" with Federal 180 gr Nosler Partitions. That's far more accurate than I can be.

As to the cost of an Echols rifle, I had originally intended to have two rifles made in different calibers. A .270 or .30-06 and a .375H&H. I was just about to place an order with Ed Brown when I read a piece in Rifle Sporting Firearms Journal by Barseness on the Legend. After learning that he would only build a rifle on a belted magnum case, I opted for the .300 Win Mag as a compromise solution. I could have gotten two Ed Brown rifles for the cost of my one Echols Legend. I believe only Jarrett is more expensive, and uses a proprietary cartridge. It was important to me to use factory ammo. As it is, I don't hunt big game as much as Allen does, and have rationalized that when I need a big bore I'll just borrow one.

I have not been disappointed, nor regretted my decision.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm not really sure how D'Arcy's 'Legend' rifle could be improved upon. It's a total-package custom job that balances well, handles perfectly and seems to point itself. It feeds perfectly, has minimal recoil (thanks to D'Arcy's stock), and it shoots with super accuracy. I have a pair of .300 Win. Mags., a .338 Win. Mag., a .375 H&H, and a .416 Remington that are all basically half-inch rifles with just about any premium bullet load, including quality factory ammo, and I fail to see how greater fundamental accuracy would serve any constructive purpose. D'Arcy's stock design and bomb-proof scopemount system represent just about the state of the art in my estimate. You can't get an equivalent rifle built anywhere else.

With that said, I would hire Jim Borden to build a rifle -- likely ahead of anyone else -- if I wanted a special chambering that D'Arcy didn't offer. If I wanted a WSM or some sort of varmint chambering, Borden would be the man I'd turn to. His stock is great, and yes he does know accuracy.

Only riflesmiths who understand hunting and who shoot extensively are worthy of your business. Anyone who sends out an untested product is NOT worthy of your business.

I owned a Jarrett .338 Win. Mag. that I had built in 1991. It was the most overrated package that I've ever owned, and I hated it, but I'd wager his current stuff is much, much better..........

AD