New
Find
Notify
Tools

More goats
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Four days, four northern Utah goats. It was fun. I love these speed goats.

Posts: 51 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Those are some good looking turbogoats.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the story on the last goat pictured above. Speed goats are fun. We had chased this buck around two days before and passed him several times, because he was short. My son is now in college and could only take one more day off to hunt, so we chose to chase this buck.

Here is the latest. Chance killed a nice goat yesterday am. We had chased him as I told you before. I thought he was close to 80 points with good mass and over five inch cutters. I knew he was short, but with 14" length I still put him at 80 points. We crept up the valley in the diesel stealthmobile (an oxymoron I know), glassing each group of goats. We made a stalk on two groups, but no big cutter buck. We turned the corner to go up to our honey hole and there he was standing about 500 yards from where we had seen him four times. We set up, Chance had a good broadside at 250, but wasn't quite ready. He was walking a line over the top of this hill and went out of sight. We moved up the next nob and set up and dang if he didn't walk right out in the bottom of the draw at 236 yds. Chance touched off the 300 win and you can see the shot placement - perfect. Took off the top of his heart and both lungs. He was shooting an Ed Lamborn 300 Win built on a Dakota action with a Shilen barrel. Beautiful shot. Beautiful buck, just a little short. He measured just over 13" so came in at 77" even. We had a great anatomy lesson and the post mortem exam was very gratfying. Very much needed after being rattled last year missing those two big mulie bucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here;s the story on the other three goats:

Here are the latest results from our Utah antelope hunt. We were fortunate enough to harvest one buck a day - long story on all three. My buck was the first day. As I lined up for the shot a coyote walked into the view of my scope. I couldn't believe it! He was stalking my buck! Well, the buck spooked ran out to 455 and the shooting spree was on. He scored 83 4/8 gross. He may net in, but we'll see. We called him the cookie cutter or can opener buck for obvious reasons.

Taz's buck was the next day. We had spotted him and were planning a stalk when a cowboy drove up behind us. Game over. We gave chase, but he gave us the slip. We talked to D'Arcy and he recommended we go back to the same place as they will often be there again. So the next day, same place, same group of goats. Taz slipped out of the truck, 250 yds, miss, 300 yards miss, 325 back foot hit. Long looking. I found blood just as the heaven's opened and poured buckets, did I say buckets, of rain. Long looking and muttering. Fortune smiled on us and we spotted him at 1000 yards on the way back to the truck. Adrenaline hike up the hill, Taz about killed me! I was carrying the pack! Finally anchored him. Nice buck 80 5/8.15 4/8 length, prongs 5 6/8 and 5 2/8.

Kris's buck was an oops kind of. Made a stalk on a nice buck that I thought would go 80. Missed the correct draw for the stalk by one draw. Walked right into the lap of 25 does and this buck. Miss at 260. Ran over the ridge. Nice buck standing, good height, good mass, ok prongs. Shooting started again. 350 yards anchored him. 76 7/8 gross. 15 0/8, 15 1/8 length only 4 3/8 and 4/48 prongs. Not bad for an oops.

We chased the other buck with Chance all evening but never had a really good shot. We're after him in hot pursuit tomorrow am.

Good hunting

Pepper

one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are some nice goats. Great character on that one. Sounds like a great trip.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Pepper, y'all are some goat huntin' fools!!

Big time congrats!! Thanks for sharing the hunts.......I didn't get to go pronghorn hunting this year.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mr. Pepper, Mr. Echols, and whoever else was involved. Those are some dandy's.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote