New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: sierra match-king on big game?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is getting good Well it go for over 100 pages as the famous MK tread did.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You need to take a remedial reading class or maybe just learn to pay closer attention.

I've taken 14 animals with MKs, but over 15 score of big game animals with everything else in some 20 states and 8 foreign countries. Those 14 kills with MKs have not exactly defined my career -- not even close -- as you have ignorantly interpreted from my previous post, but they have surely provided enough evidence that just about everything else works better, and in a much more predicatble, reliable manner.

The initial question only concerned your ~14 big game critters with Matchkings (your Matchking career). I could care less about what other critters you've killed and where you killed them, we're talking about Matchkings here big guy.

Quote:

I've had MKs not open up at all, drill completely through and behave like a solids. I've had them penetrate just a couple of inches, not open up at all, and stop. I've had them blow up and ruin capes, and Jim Carmichel of 'Outdoor Life' was a witness to an example of that. I've also had them behave acceptably and act like a standard expanding bullet such as a Speer Hot Core. For me, they have been absolutely erratic.

I take, based on your evaluation of the MK results, that these ~14 big game critters died and you were lucky enough to find them. You give examples of at least 4 occurances of poor performance: "...drill completely through...", "...penetrate just a couple of inches, not open up at all, and stop", "...blow up and ruin capes..." (plural, so 2).

I'm curious as to how you managed to evaluate the MK's performance if they didn't kill the critter?? How many animals did you lose, if any?? I'd probably also guess that even though you were at some point less than pleased with their performance you continued to evaluate/use them... Must have been on just one hunt and it was the only ammo you brought along, it would otherwise seem to be irresponsible to continue using such a poor performer when other bullets were available.

Quote:

When I can get (for example) Nosler Partitions to produce sub MOA groups or less and act 100% reliably on everything from tiny African critters to elk, why in the world would I want to further use MKs for any sort of big game hunting?

I also wonder about that. ~14 big game animals with a "known" (your determination) poor performer!! What were you thinking???

Quote:

I ran out of patience with theoretical hunting accuracy a long time ago, but I know it still thrills certain people who don't know any better.

A couple of rounds onto a 9" pie plate and were ready for the hunt... I see it all the time at the public ranges. (Actually I don't see it as I don't go to public ranges but it sounds really good and it'll upset a few folks a bit no doubt. Caution: "Hackles being raised here."

Quote:

Paper accuracy at all costs can be a very, very bitter bargain. Reliable bullet construction is far more important than a few thousands of an inch group size, and I don't care where you're hunting big game.

If you're hunting pocket gophers at long range, maybe MK will provide some sort of meaningful edge. For real-world big game hunting they will only in theory.......

AD

It's better to hit them in the "kill me spot" with an adequte bullet than hit them in the "wound me spot" with a premium bullet.

Don't get too riled, we're just here for the conversation. You won't change my experience(s)and beliefs and I won't change your's. We can however make a few folks chuckle along the way! Use whatever bullet you want, I do (except those Ballistic Tips, don't use them they really suck).

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote