Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures from 2005-2006 Texas Season
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
A few pictures from the season that just ended.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

No big deer this year but some good times.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures Charles. It looks like you've got a good place down in Carrizo Springs.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures! I hunted Carrizo springs for javelina several years ago with Rob Keibler. Got 2 and a great bobcat. The wall in the feed store was loaded with pictures of tons of great bucks. I couldnt believe haw many animals came out of the brush.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
We had some fun but the dry weather has really hurt things this year. I am hoping for some good spring rains to improve things.

(The ranch is just outside Asherton but nobody seems to have heard of that place and I have to go the short distance to Carrizo to buy anything so I call it Carrizo. Roll Eyes)

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought everybody knew Asherton was sorta between Catarina and Brundage?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I thought everybody knew Asherton was sorta between Catarina and Brundage?

Last couple of times across from Dilley I can't even find the Brundage sign -- if you get to the Border Patrol station you've missed the turn! rotflmo

Someone once told me that Asherton was just a gas station and a few dead palm trees, but that's not right. There is also a VFW hall. Big Grin

Seriously, I always end up going in to Carrizo if I need anything as that is the one thing they will be out of in Asherton. Probably just my luck.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow!

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like good times, curious though.

What the heck are those venado doing feeding on a road, they look like ditch pigeons (pheasants) out picking gravel at days end.

You're not putting feed out on the road with trucks are you? See a good set of truck tracks is why I ask?

Thanks

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,
Neat pics. That ten is nice. How old do you think he is? Should be a whopper next year....if we get some rain Confused

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
You're not putting feed out on the road with trucks are you? See a good set of truck tracks is why I ask?

Thanks

Mark D

Yes, in fact I am. In case there is any confusion, this is on private property, the "road" is a cleared lane next to the fence, and it is all perfectly legal.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sendero300:
Charles,
Neat pics. That ten is nice. How old do you think he is? Should be a whopper next year....if we get some rain Confused

Those smarter than me said he is 4-1/2. If we get some rain and he doesn't get broken up again he should be nice next year and even better at 6-1/2 if he makes it. He is not very wide but hopefully he will get a little more spread.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clearing that up, it has got to be some fun and exciting shooting.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

Nice pics, I've lived in South Texas off and on the last 25 yrs or so, what county are you hunting in.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Your little girls have a few years on mine, but I sure hope I can get some group pictures like that soon!

Nice. All around, nice!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gringo Cazador:
Charles,

Nice pics, I've lived in South Texas off and on the last 25 yrs or so, what county are you hunting in.

Dimmit County.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
Your little girls have a few years on mine, but I sure hope I can get some group pictures like that soon!

Nice. All around, nice!

Give it a chance and some time and I'm sure you will.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, it has got to be some fun and exciting shooting.

Mark D

I spend a lot more time looking than shooting. I have apparently been described to the new guys as the one who talks himself out of shooting a deer or the one who never seems to shoot one. I decided to take out the old abnormal buck as his genes are showing up and no one else wanted take him instead of a bigger buck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I've gotten on in years a bit (I'm 47) the watching has become much funner than the shooting for sure. Still like the eatin though...grins

Mark D

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I've gotten on in years a bit (I'm 47) the watching has become much funner than the shooting for sure. Still like the eatin though...grins

Mark D

Between my daughter's hog and that old buck we have a lot of sausage on the way. I have been getting pretty weary of store-bought. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles, Very nice pictures! thanks for sharing. I'm afraid if I had saw that wide 8 pointer. I would be in the picture with him!

Regards Mike

Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice.

You should be sitting on some whoppers for sure next season.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm afraid if I had saw that wide 8 pointer. I would be in the picture with him!

Regards Mike

I was thinking he would be a great buck for the end of the season, but I was advised that he was only 4-1/2 and we should see what he does next year. I will say that some of our aging has been conservative this year as the dry conditions affected body development in some deer, but I couldn't say for certain that he was older than that and I hope we see him again.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
Nice.

Good Luck

Reloader

Thanks -- I just need to start doing that rain dance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
Nice.

Good Luck

Reloader

Thanks -- I just need to start doing that rain dance.

Charles,

Please do a dance for me also, I could really use some rain up around Lubbock. We had some nice deer this year, but I think we will have some real bruisers if we get some rain. I figure the rain dance mojo will be more powerful if the dance is done in Dallas instead of Cave Creek, AZ. cheers

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

Charles,

Please do a dance for me also, I could really use some rain up around Lubbock. We had some nice deer this year, but I think we will have some real bruisers if we get some rain. I figure the rain dance mojo will be more powerful if the dance is done in Dallas instead of Cave Creek, AZ. cheers

I'll have to put it on the list. You were you on the Pitchfork, right? How was that? I went out to look at it once but could not get a group together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm on the Pitchfork. We saw some really nice deer, but the lack of rain really hurt us. We took some management bucks, the biggest was an eight with kickers that scored in the low 140s, but the place has great potential. I can't hardly wait until next season.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
We need pictures! Post some if you have them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got some on my home computer and will post them tonight if I can re-size them properly. I got a new camera and am having hell with the resolution settings.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I've got some on my home computer and will post them tonight if I can re-size them properly. I got a new camera and am having hell with the resolution settings.

Thanks -- I'll look for them. The package hunters on the Pitchfork seem to have found some decent bucks the last couple of years.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Charlie, thnks for the view of heavens gate. What a wonderful season that was for you. Beautiful pictures and great game.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures Charles! I commend you for taking your girls hunting. They will always remember their time spent hunting with Dad. Your oldest looks like an accomplished huntress... I bet you are proud.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
I bet you are proud.

Absolutely!

(I should probably clarify that although she shot the hog I shot the buck on the least day of the season -- but the picture looks a lot nicer with her than with me. A couple more pigs and she should be ready for whitetail.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles, a wonderful statement of pics and fam! You go a long way with your pics to show those who demean those of us who "feed" (everyone hunts feed one way or another) that we are not doing it for "slaughter"! Many of us are just not that "MAD" at the whitetail anymore! The great brush country of S. Texas, at least to many of us, has become a social (read family and friends) setting moreso than a "killing field". Your pics, your desire to "age" and cull is exemplary. Thanks for sharing and most of all for the education.
"include

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote