New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far south are wolves in Wyoming?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw last year that one had made it as far south as Baggs, but it was thought to be a "loner".

Just wondering how long before we'll be dealing with them in Colorado.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have been documented down here in colorado. One was killed on I70 a couple of years ago and was determined to be from the yellowstone pack. Another was video taped and authenticated in our north west corner of the state. DOW confirmed this one as well. Those suckers can travel.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last month [October] I was elk hunting south of Rock Springs and came across a large canine track. It was almost as wide as a loaded 30/06 round is long. I feel that it must have been a wolf and not a dog track due to the remote location. I asked the Game and Fish Department about it and only got an evasive answer if you know what I mean.
The wolves are knocking on Colorado's door.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith1:
Last month [October] I was elk hunting south of Rock Springs and came across a large canine track. It was almost as wide as a loaded 30/06 round is long. I feel that it must have been a wolf and not a dog track due to the remote location. I asked the Game and Fish Department about it and only got an evasive answer if you know what I mean.
The wolves are knocking on Colorado's door.
Regards, Keith

I was going to say, we didn't see any evidence of wolves between Boulder and Farson, but it sounds like that was happenstance...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just remember, S.S.S.! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
They trapped one in Morgan Utah a couple of years ago. It had been traveling with a second one that was not trapped. The F&W was called and they collected the wolf from the trap and returned it to Yellowstone Park where it had come from.

So they have occassionally crossed the Southern Border of Wyoming.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hunter from Kansas called one in with a varmit call thinking it was a large coyote. When they walked up on the downed animal it had Yellowstone Park tag in one of his/her ears.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote