THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Coalition asks WY and ID authorities to make hunters carry bear spray

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coalition asks WY and ID authorities to make hunters carry bear spray
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
https://buckrail.com/coalition...rs-carry-bear-spray/

Buckrail News Wildlife

JACKSON, WY — A coalition of organizations today submitted petitions to the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission and the Idaho Fish and Game Commission proposing rules to require hunters in grizzly bear habitat to carry bear spray.

The proposals follow years of high grizzly bear mortalities and one human fatality due to hunter-related conflicts. 2018 was the “most lethal year ever for grizzlies” according to Wyoming Public Media, and grizzly fatalities increase during hunting months.

“Wyoming and Idaho have an opportunity to adopt a common-sense policy that will protect bears and hunters alike,” said Nicholas Arrivo, a staff attorney at the Humane Society of the United States. “The evidence that bear spray works is overwhelming, and the time to enact this life-saving proposal is now.”

Although grizzly bear conflicts with people remain relatively rare, data shows increasing numbers of conflicts between grizzly bears and humans during the fall hunting season as grizzly bears are drawn to gut piles left by hunters or come face to face with hunters in surprise encounters.

“Bear spray has been proven time and time again to be the most effective tool in preventing injury to both people and bears in close encounters, including hunting conflicts,” said Bonnie Rice, senior representative for the Sierra Club’s Our Wild America Campaign. “It’s common sense to require hunters to carry bear spray, and agencies should act now to make it mandatory.”

In recent years, Yellowstone’s grizzly bears have suffered record levels of human-caused mortality. As of 2017, the 15 bears fatally shot during encounters with hunters represent the leading human cause of grizzly bear mortality in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, eclipsing the previous highest cause of grizzly bear death — lethal removals for livestock losses. Most human injuries caused by grizzly bears occur during encounters with hunters.

The coalition says mandatory bear spray could prevent these unnecessary casualties, citing studies that show that bear spray is 98 percent effective at preventing human injuries during bear encounters. Firearms are only 50 percent effective.

“Some have suggested that a gunshot during hunting season is like a dinner bell to a grizzly bear, at a time when bears are filling their bellies before denning,” said Andrea Santarsiere, a senior attorney at the Center for Biological Diversity. “A mandate requiring hunters to carry bear spray would save the lives of people and bears.”

“This common-sense safety measure is akin to requiring a helmet when riding a bike,” said Taylor Jones, endangered species advocate for WildEarth Guardians. “We know it works, and we know it saves lives, so it should be standard practice.”

“It’s clear and simple; bear spray works,” said Kristin Combs, executive director for Wyoming Wildlife Advocates. “Hunters are extremely vulnerable, especially deep in bear habitat precisely when the animals are actively searching for food. This one easy practice will undoubtedly save the lives of both humans and bears.”

“There is still a lot of work to be done before grizzly bear conservation can be called a success,” said Josh Osher, public policy director for Western Watersheds Project. “Reducing bear mortalities and human injury by requiring hunters to carry bear spray is an obvious and effective policy with no downside.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.buffalobulletin.com...17-077b7443f032.html

Outfitters seek bear safety standards

By Mike Koshmrl Jackson Hole Daily Via Wyoming News Exchange 1 hr ago

JACKSON — An association of Wyoming big-game outfitters is working with workforce safety regulators to develop best-practice guidelines for hunting in grizzly bear country.

The coordination between the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association and the Wyoming office of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration directly stems from the death of Jackson Hole resident and hunting guide Mark Uptain, who was preparing to pack out a client’s elk for Martin Outfitters in September when he was fatally mauled in the Teton Wilderness. Park County commissioner and hunting guide Lee Livingston spoke about the partnership Thursday at the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee’s Yellowstone Ecosystem Subcommittee meeting in Bozeman, Montana.

“We’re going to come up with a standard protocol for grizzly bear training, bear-spray training for all of our employees,” Livingston told his fellow committee members from regional land and wildlife management agencies.

“I’ve done it for years, and I’ve required my guides and hunters to have bear spray with them,” he said. “We’re going to take it one step further as an association and come up with some sort of standard protocol for the industry and possibly the hunting public.”

Commercial hunting outfitters who are permitted to operate on national forests like the Bridger-Teton already must acquire safety-related certifications, he said, like first-aid cards that must be renewed every two years.

“We’re thinking this might be something along those lines,” Livingston said. “We’re going to be talking to the state agencies about [getting] their help; we’re going to be talking to the Forest Service.”

Wyoming OSHA investigators did not fault Martin Outfitters for training-, preparedness- or manpower-related factors in Uptain’s death, though the Moran business was issued a proposed $5,000 penalty for not reporting the high-profile death within eight hours.

There is a precedent, however, for Wyoming OSHA coming down on employers for bear safety-related factors in human deaths. In 2015, the environmental consulting firm Nature’s Capital was penalized more than $15,000 in proposed fines after employee Adam Stewart was fatally mauled while assessing vegetation plots in the Bridger-Teton National Forest backcountry. Stewart, who was hiking alone, did not carry a defense mechanism like bear spray or a firearm.

“The hazard contributed to the death of an employee due to not implementing the industry-recognized practices to avoid bear contact,” the citation papers said.

While developing standardized guidelines for hunting in grizzly bear country would make it easier for OSHA to fault outfitters after fatalities or injuries, Livingston said that was not a concern.

“Our concern is about the safety of our employees,” he said in an interview. “You can’t let [citations] be a fear. Our thought is that this is a workplace issue and OSHA was an obvious place to start on being proactive on what can we do. This is also to protect us as business owners.”

Other members of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee’s Yellowstone Ecosystem Subcommittee applauded the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association’s plans to develop safety standards. Jim White, a regional supervisor for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, said the effort was “spot on,” but he was leery of singling out hunters.

“If you were to do something legislatively or by rule as far as requiring spray,” White said, “I think you have to be cautious about doing that with one user group, or one activity versus another one, where a person walking down a trail with a gun has to have bear spray and a person walking with a backpack doesn’t.”

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
“It’s clear and simple; bear spray works,” said Kristin Combs, executive director for Wyoming Wildlife Advocates. “Hunters are extremely vulnerable, especially deep in bear habitat precisely when the animals are actively searching for food. This one easy practice will undoubtedly save the lives of both humans and bears.”

Just another pro bear lie.

people who promote spray are only concerned with saving bears.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
common-sense policy that will protect bears and hunters alike,”
Where have I heard that before I wonder?
Require carrying now. Prosecute for not using "Less than Lethal" later.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All hunters already carry bear spray. The spray exits the canister in excess of 2,000fps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
exactly what you'd expect out of J-hole Wy-O.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was guiding full time 20 years ago north of Jackson WY, We all carried bear spray. Even the hunters with us bought bear spray in town before coming to the ranch. Yes we carried it, but I also carried a 45-70 guide gun. When things got interesting around bears guess witch one was in my hands first. There are just too many damn bears now and they have no fear of man.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
JACKSON — A coalition

When I saw the above words, I quit reading.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
So, I am supposed to put down my rifle and pull out bear spray and use it? I don't think so, my bear defense is a 535 grain Woodleigh out of a 50 Alaskan at about 1900 fps. Bear spray.... we don't need no stinking bear spray!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Sierra Club folks should be dumped in the center of Grizz country with a can of bear spray and clothes made from bacon. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
When I hear a politician say the phrase "Common Sense", I have the same gut reaction Saeed has when someone says "Mark Sullivan"!

clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The coalition says mandatory bear spray could prevent these unnecessary casualties, citing studies that show that bear spray is 98 percent effective at preventing human injuries during bear encounters. Firearms are only 50 percent effective.

Hmmm...studies?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmm...studies?

Those studies about spray being more effective are being disproved.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...3411043/m/8071086052

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick 12 people who are the most responsible for this policy. Then capture 12 wild grizzlies from the same ecosystem in Wyoming. Not zoo pets to test their spray.
As in the woods, animals don’t eat on regular bases, so deny them food for a week.
Give them pepper spray of their choice, then have their theory tested individually, one on one or put a momma with a couple of two hundred cubs and let’s see the results. We’ll see at the end, how many are standing and still advocating the new proposed law. If all 12 approve it unanimously, only then will I accept it. Otherwise, it is every one’s individual choice.

Posts: 1024 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One persons reason for changing his mind.

https://gunwatch.blogspot.com/...inks-pistols-as.html

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bear spray does work. It is just a tool to deter a bear in the moment. Can it be proven that it stops a bear from ever committing assaults in the future? To me that is a larger concern.

I think one could also argue that only problem bears end up getting shot and that the dead bears can not assault anyone else, ever.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, I've been looking for a 4" S&W 629...

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And don’t forget the distance,an n wind effect

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
better get it in their eyes.
I bet some bears start developing a fondness for the flavor.
I had a dog that would steal and eat your ghost pepper hot sauce if she got a chance.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bear spray does work.

How well is up to debate.

The science behind spray is junk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
About what we expect from Sun Valley Idaho and Jackson Wy..All those people have built their billion dollar homes in the historical elk feeding grounds that had millions of elk at one time and now have about 900, the homes ruined the winter feed ground they loosly use the word habitat..dumb bastards, don't even live in Idaho and Wy until they retire and try to run things..They even brought the frigging wolves with them, and the elk herds have suffered, but they ignore all but their goal..They are refugees from Ivory towers in California and New York who ruined their state and are now ruining ours. I think it pisses me off!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry bear spray. I think bear spray works - when the conditions are right and you have the right bear.

In grizzly country it is hard to 'forget' that grizzlies are there and represent a potential threat. Any person of even moderate intelligent will behave accordingly. So recommending 'best practices' when in grizzly country is fine, but I think that it will do little to lessen the potential threat.

The fact is that grizzly bear populations are growing. They are now being seen on the prairies in Northwestern Montana (near Great Falls) where they have not been seen for 3/4 of a century, and are causing an increasing concern for farmers, herders and bird hunters as well as big game hunters.

I carry bear spray, but I also carry a 44 Magnum 4-1/2" barreled Smith and Wesson Model 629 Mountain Gun loaded with Buffalo Bore hard lead loads - just in case I meet an unenlightened bear.

Posts: 874 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote