New
Find
Notify
Tools

WA Draw Results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The WA draw results are out. No sheep, moose, goat or elk permit for me but I did draw a late buck hunt in the cowiche unit.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not get any CRYBABY But, way to go on the deer tag. If you want an outstanding guide in that area that has a bunch of real good private land leased, try Jerrod at Okanogan Valley Outfitters. He has a great website you can learn more about him. I have been on several of his hunts and he is honest and really knows his stuff. Good hunting!

Posts: 71 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve_robinson
posted Hide Post
I drew a Blackpowder cow elk permit and a modern doe permit for Taneum. Seasons run back to back

Steve(NOT Shakari)Robinson
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 226 | Location: Arlington, WA | Registered: 26 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve,

Where did you find the results. I'm looking on the WDFW site, but am unable to see where they've posted the results.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Found it. I drew zip, nada.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew a modern firearm cow permit for Ryderwood. I didn't think I would actually be drawn for it. Now I have to scramble to get my 338-06 up and running so I can get some serious practice in. Filling a cow tag in Ryderwood is almost a sure thing.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian, I feel really lucky to draw what I did. I hunt with a group of 7 and 2 of us drew cow tags and I'm the only one to get a special deer tag in the group.
collegekidandy, tell me more about your 338-06. really interesting cartridge and good ballistics, hard hitting too.

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I built my 338-06 off an FN Mauser I got for free. I sold all of my guns about 5 years ago when I got married. Money was very tight, and my guns were all I had that were worth anything.

My father in law had an old Mauser in 30-06 with a cracked stock, bad trigger, and pitted out barrel. He gave it to me for Christmas the first year my wife and I were married. I slowly worked up the gun whenever I had a few dollars to spend. First it got a Bold Optima trigger and a Corelite stock, and a cheap Tasco scope that I got for free. After a few more months I sent it off to ER Shaw to have 24" stainles barrel put on.

It's been a constant project, upgrading as more money became available. I just made the final adjustment with the addition of Choate blind magazine stock and a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9. Ready to hunt, the rifle weighs 8 lbs 1oz. I have had a lot of other guns come since I got this one, but it has always been my got to rifle for anything from coyotes to elk. The caliber is awsome. I highly recomend getting one.

Andrew

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I've been shooting a 338/06 since 1990.
I've killed 10 of the large African antelope with it, a moose, two elk, two deer and a few reindeer. I shot most of these animals with the 200gr Barnes X bullet. My rifle is a rebarreled tang safety Ruger with a Bell and Carlston stock that has been glass beded. It will group nost bullets well under an inch. The 338/06 is a great cartridge

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, what is the recoil like, say compaired to the 30-06?

NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve. the 338/06 has a little more recoil than a 30/06 with 180gr bullets. My rifle weights about 8 1/2 with the scope. You can push 200-210gr bullets to 2800 fps or so and 225gr bullets to 2700 fps. This caliber kills better than the one would think at these velocities. With the Barnes X bullets I never felt the need to load the 250gr bullets for anything. I shot a very nice 290 point 5x6 elk on the run with it in WA a few years back. It knocked the shit out of him as well as the 400-800 lb animals I shot with it in Africa. Have one built, you won't be sorry.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
missed on the branch bull tag in 154, but drew another doe tag. had a cow tag 2 years ago for dayton and believe it or not, only saw 6 cows all season. i hunted hard and away from the road, but there were so many people up there, i quit that area. it's hard to eat a cow tag, but i managed it, in a good area, too. when we first went to the points system, i drew a branch bull tag for the same area, ate that one, too. saw a 6x7 and a 3 point, but they were mixed with a herd of cows and i couldn't pick out the right body. talk about a bummer....

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

What's a branch bull?

Thanks,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
branch antlered bull is any bull other than a spike. 2pt, 3pt, and so on....

many placed here in washington we are only allowed to shoot spikes unless you draw a branch antler tag. big bulls breed big bulls, you know...

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, Washington went to spike only during the Eastern Wa. elk seasons. Prior to that, the big bulls were all being taken and the breeding was being done by smaller, younger immature bulls. It was having a negative effect on the gene strength and socialization of the herds. I was skeptical at first, as many were at the time. I've since become a believer... there are lots of big bulls in the woods nowadays. Lot's of hunters too. I think the DFW could do more WRT closing roads and limiting vehicle access though.

Regards,
Brian

NRA Life Member