Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 870 Slug Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted
I normally like to have very good equipment, but when I moved to Ohio I was mortified to learn that I couldn't use a rifle on deer. Not sure that I would stay in such a *civilized* place, I searched for the cheapest workable slug-gun solution. I lucked out and got an NEF "Pardner Tracker II Plus" on sale at WalMart. The shotgun is a single-barrel ten-gauge blank bored to a rifled 3-inch 12 gauge. It weighs about 11 pounds!!!!

A cheap shotgun scope and I was in business.

It shoots clover leafs at 50 yards, 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I think I have fired it less than 30 times total in 7 years. Three sight-checking rounds, then one or two rounds per year at deer. I don't believe I have missed or wounded a deer. I use Rem Copper Solid 3" sabots.

That is the total extent of my personal knowledge about shotguns with slugs. Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'd say sell the 870 and get a dedicated slug gun. Last time I checked the barrels for 870s cost more than my whole setup.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brenneke 2-3/4" rifled slugs are what I always had best luck with in a smooth bore, 4"-6" 100 yard groups are doable.

That 2" long rifled choke tube won't do enough to help and may in fact hurt accuracy. Stick w/ smooth bore improved cylinder.

Throw that B Square mount in the trash and have a gunsmith drill & tap your receiver and mount a scope base on it.

Cheapo scopes won't last long, as 12ga slug recoil is horrendous. Had a Tasco once that literally fell apart from it.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote