THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The Accu Bond/Inter-Bond controversey can only mean one thing,...
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Accu Bond/Inter-Bond controversey can only mean one thing,...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
JON A
thats my worry with barnes x ...you only need one proj like this to loose a trophy animal...we recovered a 150 gn x shot into a wombat , the proj was like the above 338 except it was bent like a banana
does not inspire confidence!!!!
regards daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
IF you're going to roll the dice and shoot game at 500 yards out of a 338, the velocity is probably at the lower limit of velocity for exapansion. I'm sure that at normal shooting ranges the X (or better yet TSX) would have performed better. Now shoot the moose at really close ranges (close to 90% of the world's game is taken under 100 yards) with that same 338 and a lesser bullet might not be up to the task. I like to split the difference and use A Frames or Partitions although the TSX shows great promise at lower velocitites than the X which I don't care for either. Bottom line, did that bullet kill the moose or did it require follow up shots. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I glad to see that some of the world is no longer worshipping at the alter of velocity. You are right about most of the shots being closer-and they should be. I remember years ago I read a quote from Jeff Cooper:"When was the last shot you made over 200yds? Why?"
I really feel the same way and don't like to shoot much over 250 yds unless it's an unusual case (and I don't mean passing up a Whitetail). I'd rather leave it than wound it.
My favorite all around caliber for big game is the 9.3x62 in it's original velocity. It does a good job with a good bullet,of good weight and moderate velocity. At that velocity you can't beat a Nosler Partition .
As a matter of performance "How much deader than dead do you want?"

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Dr.Duc: I'm a firm believer in velocity as supplemental to shot placement (obviously). It hs been my experience that given all things being equal, velocity does have an often-times dramatic effect. My 300 Weatherby for instance puts animals down with SIGNIFICANT greater authority than my 06 given the exact sme parameters of range, animal taken and same bullet. No question. What I don't do (and I'll cede my lack of confidence to skill) is try and take an animal on a regular basis at ranges exceeding 350 yards. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge
you dont always need the velocity to drop off with the barnes proj for it not to expand ,the wombat we shot was shot at under 100m , and with an accurate rifle and range finder those 400m shots are no harder than 100m shots ...one needs to practice practice and practice
regards daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, I'll grant you the 300 Weatherby is a cartridge with authority. Call it a 300 H&H Imp. I shot one that is very accurate but I always use Nosler Partitions. Wink

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Daniel: I nevr liked the old X bullet, but all the reports coming in on the TSX have offered nothing but praise for it. The originator of this post is out there now and I'm sure he'll give us a full report when he gets back, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
The TSX's are supposed to open up more easily than the older versions. I haven't gotten around to testing them for this yet though. I plan to in the future.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GEORGE
the fact remains that Barnes seems to have solved the problem of accuracey , but they still have not solved the problem of there TSX proj not expanding at times even at close range ...just ask Ray Atkinson ....and there have been other repoerts of the TSX proj not opening up...you tell me when was the last time you saw or heard of partition not opening up from the muzzle up to 500 m
i still think barnes need to work on the design of there hollow point ..make it a V shape so more positive expansion can be initiated
regards daniel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently shot 8 feral donkeys with the 140 gn Accubond out of my 7mm WSM . Ranges were all between 100 and 200 yds.
Donkeys are notoriously tough and I'm guessing weigh 400 - 600 pounds .
First animal was shot through top of the rear thigh muscle as it quartered away . Bullet penetrated through about 2 1/2 feet of gut and exited through the ribs on the opposite side . Instant kill .
Later animals were broadside chest shots and were killed quickly but did not achieve full penetration .
As this was a culling operation some animals were shot running and from less than ideal angles . None got away but was less than impressed with penetration other than on first shot .
Very accurate though and I would use them without hesitation on more lightly constructed game .Worked well on feral pigs .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
There's a very learned and experienced gent by the name of Terry Blauwkamp who posts here and I'm pretty sure he posted his african experience with the TSX. From what I recall it was very positive and that's good enough for me to give them a try. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge
still does not change the FACT that every so often the tsx is failing to expand
Daniel

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
M98: Facts are intricate, pesky things, I went back and re-read these posts, even the one with the picture of the Barnes X (not the same as a TSX). SO your FACT might indeed be accurate, but at least with a TSX I'll be assured of complete penetration and I'll take the odds that it "might" fail to expand.jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jorge here on complete penetration.

And on a side note I've seen a boat load of game taken with the TX and I've been given no idication whatsoever of the mythical non expanding TX.

Personally I'd have to see it to believe it and personally I do not believe that it has been happening.

That is just for what it is worth.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just throwing in my recent experience. Last week I had the chance to observe 5 bulls be taken on a hunt in Utah. Two of them were taken with Barnes bullets. One hunter was using 180 gr. X's in a .30-378 Wby and the other 180 gr. TSX in a .300 Win. Both hunters took bulls at about 300 yards, 3 shots with the 30-378 and 1 shot with the .300. None of the bullets exited. The X bullets were perfectly expanded and symetrical with all petals intact. None hit significant bone. The bull was dead on the first shot but just didn't realize it. The 71 year old hunter actually fired an amazing group into the bulls chest. The TSX was a quartering shot that took out the off shoulder. The petals on on side were sheared off and the shank of the bullet was bent. The bull went down at the shot. The three other bulls were taken with 160 gr. Partions from a .280AI, 180 gr. Hornady Interlock from a .300 Weatherby, and 225 gr. North Fork from a .338 (mine). The hunter with the .280AI shot his bull three times and recovered all three bullets. They were classic Partions with the front shedded and the base intact. The Hornady did not exit and was not recovered. It looked like it came apart on the off shoulder of the bull but the bull died. The only bullet to exit was the North Fork from the .338. My first shot double lunged him and really staggerd the bull. The second shot took out both shoulders. Both bullets exited and left an exit hole half again bigger than a quarter. The performance of the Horandy cocerned me at velocity of the .300 Wby and the range, 100 yards, but it was a bang/flop so it wdid the job. Bottom line is hit them in the vitals and elk die.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote