Find
Notify
Tools

MRX's are in Stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I saw them at Midway, thought I should post it.

Barnes MRX 180 30 cal.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oo, Aah. Roll Eyes

I am underwhelmed beyond words at the chance to spend $1 EACH on bullets...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha, Allan, that's where I was fooled for a second, 'BOX of 20'--now that's taking it to a new low for a box of bullets--or would that be a new high?????

I like XXX's but I'll pass on the Mr. X's until there's some price sanity!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
They are spendy, but even at a buck a piece, it's still the cheapest component of your hunt.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just too many other fully adequate projectiles out there at a MUCH cheaper price. I'll sit back and let y'all rich folks tell me how good they are.

Sounds like the true meaning of "money up a wild hogs ars" to me!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've got enough TSX bullets to last a lifetime, and my kids. (not to mention the stockpiles of partitions, wildcats, hornady, speer, btips, ....dang, I better get to the bench again soon.

I'd be willing to try some MRX but they'd have to trade me with my TSX.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already know that the bullet is the cheapest part of the entire hunt, but I'm just wondering what the MRX does that the TSX doesn't already do...

AllanD

Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I posted this on another site but aren't North Forks, Swift A-Frames and TBBC's $1 a piece.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that any Barnes Bullet blows those Swift-A-Frames away anyhow....

Funny how guys will spend $1500 on a rifle and scope then bitch about a $1 bullet (that does the actual killing).

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
glorified failsafes. Junk in my opinion.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
AllanD, It's my understanding that the tungsten core in the MRX allows them to achieve the same weight without the length of the all copper TSX. I haven't tried them yet, but if they perform anything like the TSX, they'd be worth a look.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Why worry about a $1 a bullet, Hell power belts for a muzzleloader are $1 a bullet. Not a bad price for a quality bullet. JMHO

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want 'em I saw them in two Sportsman's Warehouse stores this past week...Wichata, KS and Memphis, TN...on the road traveling and visited those two stores...wife had a "camo overdose" according to her! Seriously, they are in all the SW stores supposedly...check out their website for store locations. Sure are pricey though.....

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw them at my local SW too. I don't split hairs over the cost per bullet. My 200 gr. partitions run about $0.62 each. 416 Partitions a buck each too. And as was pointed out above TBBC's, Northfork's, and Swift A-Frames run about a buck each. But I don't see the need for the MRX unless you have an OAL problem. Or they shoot just spectacular out of your rifle..

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I bought some 180 grain 30 cals. They are .011" longer than a ballistic silvertip.

That is this much longer( . )for those of you wondering. The size of the dot.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a few boxes at Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday. I'm going to load up some .300 RUM in a few weeks and give them a try.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianbo:
AllanD, It's my understanding that the tungsten core in the MRX allows them to achieve the same weight without the length of the all copper TSX. I haven't tried them yet, but if they perform anything like the TSX, they'd be worth a look.

Brian,

the length is shorter and many people bring up the fact that a shorter bullet intrudes less on propellant space, however those same people tend to overlook the fact that in the vast majority of cartridges max pressure occours
well before 100% case capacity is reached.

Frankly the only loading I use that it would be an issue in is MAX loads of RL22 behing various 165gr bullets in a 30-06

AllanD

*We Band of 45-70er's*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
I bought some 180 grain 30 cals. They are .011" longer than a ballistic silvertip.....

What is the length of the 180BsTip and 180MRX?

The tip design should help to open up better at longer range at the more moderate velocities of the 308win. We hope.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the length of the 180BsTip and 180MRX?

1.365" for the MRX

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
180 BT 1.415"

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Funny, my 180 balistic silvertips are 1.355"