New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Wyoming Elk Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Shot this bull in western Wyoming in late October.

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I'm looking forward to more details.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted Hide Post
nice animal Cool

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Nice elk, what caliber/rifle did you use.

Byron

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the complements everyone. I killed this bull while I was out hunting for a wolf in western Wyoming. I got lucky because I was hunting in a new area that I had never hunted before. A few weeks earlier I ran into a small herd of bulls (10) while I was out wolf hunting, eight of the bulls were small 5x5's and 6x6's. However, the last two bulls that walked out into a small clearing(eighty yards) were nice mature 6x6's one was about 330" and the other was a nice 350" class bull. The guy I was hunting with thought I was nuts for letting them walk off.
Later in the season I was back in the same area looking for a wolf, when I was down in a small drainage I noticed a elk laying in a small patch of Apen trees about seventy-five yards away sound asleep. My jaw hit the snow when I put up my binoculars and seen it was a monster bull, about that time the breeze change directions and the bull smelling something not right, stood up in his bed perfectly broadside and just stared at me. Looking thru my bino's I couldn't believe how big his antlers were Eeker
Unfortunately, the season had ended two days earlier for elk in that area. I've been fortunate to see and kill some large bulls in my life but this guy was "HUGE" if I was to score him I'd say he was well over 400" hopefully hell be around next year.

Two days later I was in a area that was open and ran into this bull in the pictures, I shot him around 10:30am or so and took the picture of the last load I backpacked out to the trail head just before dark in a snow storm, thank God it was all down hill. Before shooting this bull I passed up 24 other bulls during the season.

Byron,

I shot him with my 7mm Rem Mag (Model 700) and 175 grain Nosler Partitions @ around three hundred yards (guessing the distance).

Load
175 gr Nosler Partition COAL=3.30
Nosler Brass
66 grains IMR 7826 (Hodgdon Manual #26)
CCI- 250
MV @15' 3060 fps. 26" Shilen

Thanks for looking patriot

Steve

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that is a very nice bull. But I agree with your friend that you were nuts to let a 330" walk... and certifiable to chose a wolf "in the bush" compared to a 350" bull "in the hand".

Glad it turned out in the end.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smokin Bull Steve!
Well Done

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
That's a smoker! Congrats and well done! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Steve well done!
Always nice to see a well-earned trophy!

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice bull. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
330 to 350 would be a Bull of a lifetime for most of us.Congrats on the one you got.Good tale. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That's one heck of a fine bull you shot, but you're completely nuts for passing up a 350 class bull in nearly any unit in the west. You got lucky this time.

What did your bull score? I'm guessing that bull scores in the 370-380 range?

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS

Your correct the bull scored in the mid 370"(green)however, the picture really doesn't due this bull justice. I took the pics with a camera phone and it just doesn't show the bulls mass.
I couldn't wrap my hands around the antlers between the dagger tine and the first sir-royal tine and the mass at the base was larger then both my hands put together.
Had I shot the 350" bull I never would have seen the "HUGE" 400 incher and would have never shot this bull, plus I got to hunt more Wink

Thanks for the complements.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That definitely is one fine trophy. Congrats.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote