Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best black bear hunting areas????
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting to seriously consider a black bear hunt now that I have gotten Africa under my belt. I am thinking Alaska or Canada, possibly as soon as next year, because I seem to hear that is where the biggest ones are.

My priorities are getting a big one (obviously) and having a pleasureful hunt in a scenic area that will provide great memories and pictures.

What would you suggest as far as areas and outfitters? I would like some good feedback to start my research with.

Also, I am just hearing about the really big "Island Black Bears" that are a separate species...anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 7 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 09 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I live in Alberta and really hunt a lot in Alberta, I think you can have a more enjoyable spot/stalk hunt in Northern BC and see some really cool country while you're at it. Check out Fredlund Guide Service in Northwestern BC for some good bears and a great outfitter.....

www.fredlundguideservice.com

I dont have any experience with the 'island bears' but I've seen some pics of some bears and they seem to be pretty darn big. Good luck on your decisions!!

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Uglystick
posted Hide Post
If you were willing to go to Maine I could recomend some great outfiters here. We just had a spring bear hunting open up here on a limited basis on Passamaquady Tribal Lands. It is a great hunt with a remote fly in camp and some great fishing to be done on the side. The fall bear season is set to start on Aug 28th statewide. And runs untill Sept 23rd.

Out west I would look at Alberta, you can shoot 2 bears and have the chance to take a wolf in most areas.

Posts: 173 | Location: Jackman MAINE USA | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Check the books..............recent years. If you are OK with baited hunts, have a close look at Manitoba. Keep in mind numberof animals killed and precentage of big bears compared to total kill.

Albert and BC gave big kill stats but the number of bears to each B&C bear is way higher.

Manitoba is one of the top areas. Big bears in body and skull size.

The Queen Charlottes in BC are where I'd go in BC, but the outfitter wants enough that I would need to win the lottery.

No I am not biased. Hunted black bears in BC and Alberta for many years....and Saskatchewan, hell even the Northwest Territories.

All things considered, Manitoba is where it is at.....or northern Saskatchewan.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I went bearing hunting in Canada once. I sat 15 feet up a tree over decomposing meat for almost a week (in the afternoons that is) being bitten by black flies and mosquitos despite netting and DEET. If a hunter didn't get a bear, the word from the outfitter was that "you moved."

This outfitter catered to bow hunters which is fine for bow hunters. I was a rifle hunter and didn't neet to be 20 feet from my bear to hit it.

After my stint in Canada, I decided that if I ever wanted to hunt bear again, I could put a stand up in a tree in West Virginia, sit there for a week, not be bitten by mosquitos and black flies and get just as many bears (zero) as I got in Ontario much more cheaply.

I will probably never sit over stinky bait again for bears; for me it will be spot and stalk. I will also have a much better idea of the reputation of my outfitter than I had back then (not a good experience in more ways than noted above).

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
firehog, my son and I are going to Idaho in a little over 3 weeks for a fall hunt. That being said, if I was looking for a BIG bear, I'd either look at spot/stalk on Vancouver Island, or a boat hunt in SE Alaska. Either of these for black bear is gonna run around $6000. If you are talking about brown bear, make that $12-15,000.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin..........I went with a bad outfitter in Wyoming one time. It certainly didn't mean all outfitters in Wyoming or the US for that matter are crappy. I have since been back and experienced good hunting in Wyoming, Montana, etc.

I do not really think your post was constructive nor relevant to firehogs question.

Firehog there are lots of good black bear hunts in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba for between $2200 and $3700......most are in the $2750 range. Vancouver Island has big bears but if you want a shot at an actual Boone and Crockett bear you also need a big skull. The Island does not produce many over 21........but there has been a lot of media attention for Vancouver Island in recent years and that has also made the hunts there with the better outfitters more than they need to be.

Check around and you will see what I mean.

The Queen Charlottes have them (very expensive). Your odds percentage wise, for a big bear with a big skull......as in number of bears killed for every book bear produced are better in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Alberta has the advantage of a 2 bear limit.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Skyline...there are great outfitters all over BC, AB, SK, and MB.....Grumulkin's experience is a very very small percentage and can happen anywhere.

Most bait hunting operations allow you to see several bears each night, and most run close to 100% for hunters shooting 2 bears. There are great baiting outfits all over and quality of bears taken is quite high in most cases. The hunts are top-notch but not for some guys.

Plenty of good outfits in all provinces and make a few calls and check a few references and you'll find the type of hunt you want and have a great time.

Posts: 94 | Location: East Kootenays | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great input...lots of info on Canada, but I might be leaning towards a trip to Alaska since I have never been there. I have already been on a Caribou hunt in the NWT so I might be very interested in a change of scenery, if you know what I mean! What are the best parts of AK and when is the best time?

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Consider the Kenai Peninsula if you have a week or so, are in good climbing shape, and are interested in a budget hunt. In September and early October there are lots of black bears above the treeline gorging on blueberries (look for red patches on the hills -- blueberry leaves). Most bears are under six foot but 've seen a few roly-poly looking big-uns.

If you decide you're interested, but the Alaska Gazeteer (maps) ad shoot me a PM. I'll give you a few spots that have worked for me.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Then look to the Alaska panhandle area and the ABC islands, etc. There are a number of outfitters with big fishing boats that use skiffs to hunt the tidal flats etc in the area.

Stikine Guide Service or Jimmy Rosenbruch....etc

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
After a ton of research I finally booked a Black Bear hunt in Manitoba. We leave Oct 4th, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I did hunt Elk & Whitetail in Alberta last year & saw 4 Black Bears while out hunting. So I would not hold back from going to Alberta, I just wanted to go some where new.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Good for you......who are you going with and where?

posted Hide Post
OK...let's narrow this down to Alaska. I would rather go to AK as I have never hunted there and have already hunted Canada. Let's hear from anyone who has taken a big bruin in AK and where you shot it. Please name outfitters! Thanks for the help!

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline:
Then look to the Alaska panhandle area and the ABC islands, etc. There are a number of outfitters with big fishing boats that use skiffs to hunt the tidal flats etc in the area.

Stikine Guide Service or Jimmy Rosenbruch....etc

Let's not forget the ABC Islands (Admiralty, Baranof, and Chichagof islands) are brown bears only, no blackies.

You'll want to concentrate on Kupreanof, Kuiu, or Prince of Wales Islands slightly to the south.

Johnnie Laird, of Muskeg Excursions is a good choice. The Swazi guy from New Zealand has hunted with him at least twice.

Hold out for a 7ft bear, as their out there, and doable.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote