THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Spot and Stalk Backcountry Black Bear Outfitters?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spot and Stalk Backcountry Black Bear Outfitters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was considering an African hunt in spring of 2017, (I recently posted a thread with planning questions) but am reconsidering. My passion has always been bear hunting. I've taken several, mostly over bait. I've reached a point where sitting on stand over a bait pile just doesn't seem like hunting and want to do a spot and stalk hunt. I'd prefer one of the western states, but am open to Canada and Alaska as well. Staying in the states simplifies meat shipments.

Wants:

1) Spot and stalk, hunting on foot. Float hunting is a possibility.
2) Backcountry tent camp (Going in by horse would be ideal)
3) Potential for color phase bear
4) Potential for a trophy bear (Not a requirement, but hey, I'm wishing here)
5) 1X1 guiding
6) A two bear area would be ideal

These are all "wants" and not requirements. The only must is no stand over bait. However, I do want a wilderness experience. A fall combo for elk and bear is also an option. Suggestions for locations and outfitters would be appreciated.

Posts: 131 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Rich Birdsell at Northern Rockies Outfitters in Columbia Falls, MT.

I was just there. Beautiful country.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Mike Richie of Richie Outfitters in Idaho (Selway Wilderness) is another great option. Two bear area, cheap tags ($31 non-resident) and base camp is 30 miles into the wilderness area. They also have a really high density of color phase bears. www.richieoutfitters.com

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I've been away for a week and haven't had a chance to respond. I'll check out your suggestions.

Posts: 131 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Have you considered one of the boat based hunts in Alaska? Never done one myself, but it sure seems like a great way to hunt bear. You get to fish during the down time and eat alot of fresh caught crabs. They also have some big bears.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Focus on Oregon, a lot of cinnamon & blonde and black phase bear's. I agree with your opinion of bear hunting over bait, I call it master-baiting!!!!!!!!!!!!
You will need to focus on Hell's Canyon area of the Snake River and there are plenty of jet boats, horse guided hunt and even off-road vehicles. Just be prepared for long range shooting since this is big country.

Another thing, local's are laid back and very willing to help out to kill time and make the day go by faster.

You have spring and fall bear hunts.