THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    what kind of bird is this? another sighting!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what kind of bird is this? another sighting!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
I captured this bird in a photo by accident while bicycling down a farm road.I zoomed in on it and it appears green with a white underside of wing.Any ideas as what kind of bird?I have no idea,but with that tail,Im thinking hen pheasant? certainly not a parrot? maybe a magpie? neither of those occur around here( MN) very much.

here is a close up,as good as I can do.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Not a magpie. They are a bluish-purple with lots of black.

I can't think of any NATIVE birds that would have a green body like that. Perhaps it's a feral parrot-type species. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We used to have some Monks parrots here .The were escaped pets that lived well in the wild.They aren't very large. But I would assume your bird is some kind of parrot also, but fairly large from the looks of it..

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
yes,it does look pretty large.Perhaps it was closer than it seems.I didnt see it when I took the picture.I was moving along about 10 mph .
I found a loop of bike trails around some ag fields close by about 4-5 miles around.So far I have seen deer ,turkey,coyote,pheasant, 1000's of birds and millions of bugs!
I have been wearing a tee shirt with a pocket ,so I can get the camera out quicker.Today I took a few rolling shots to see how they would turn out.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The close-up picture isn't showing up for me. The distant pisture works and from the tail and the presence of the corn field I would say it is probably a hen pheasant. Magpies are smaller than a crow and are black and white. At least the ones I've seen here in Montana and Alaska are.

Allen Glore

"Annoy a Liberal, work, succeed, be happy"

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
click on the link for the close up

[URL=http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/joelbrown_01/for%20sale/bird2.jpg

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Looks like a parrot. We have a lot of wild green parrots in Texas. Most migrate up from Mexico but some have become local.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
That sure looks like it.however the monk appears to have a dark under wing color.
Perhaps I shall return to the spot with bino's and observe.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. The Monk Parakeet is what I have seen around Texas.I always thought they were a small parrot.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
magpies are black and white, but i have seen quite a few that look greenish because of the light and the way it hits their irridescent feathers.

i don't think that's the case here, because it doesn't quite have the shape and i think a magpie's tail is longer, but it might be a possibility. i agree that a hen pheasant is the most likely possibility; it might even be possible that she has some genetic variation that makes her greenish rather than brownish.

it might also be a trick of light or a maladjustment of the camera? look at all that green in the photo: corn, grass, trees etc. that "might" have something to do with it.

i can't imagine a monk parrot showing up in minnesota; surely the winters would do them in.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
looks like a Indian ringneck parakeet female or could be a green macaw.

both all green with a long thin tails, parrots have a box type tail

I use to raise them.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
magpies are black and white, but i have seen quite a few that look greenish because of the light and the way it hits their irridescent feathers.

i don't think that's the case here, because it doesn't quite have the shape and i think a magpie's tail is longer, but it might be a possibility. i agree that a hen pheasant is the most likely possibility; it might even be possible that she has some genetic variation that makes her greenish rather than brownish.

it might also be a trick of light or a maladjustment of the camera? look at all that green in the photo: corn, grass, trees etc. that "might" have something to do with it.

i can't imagine a monk parrot showing up in minnesota; surely the winters would do them in.

The camera is a little 5 megapixel samsung digital.
I had thought about a white bird getting a green reflection from all the vegatation.possible.
I see there are populations of monks in chicago,and new york.Maybe some flew over from chicago this summer,Hasnt seen a winter here yet,although chicago isnt very far more south than us.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that is definately not a magpie.
i see them all day everyday, and that is not one of those worthless,annoying birds.
unless there is something dead or a garbage
pile there. one wouldn,t be around.
it is either a parrot or a ringneck dove.
they appear like a pigeon at times.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some kind of parrot. Or parakeet!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My best guess is it's a Monk Parakeet.

Notice where they build thier nest? THey need to be shot on sight!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Well I spend a few hours in the area and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I'd also vote Monk Parakeet. Note the wing shape, position of the primary feathers, the leg location and overall body shape. If it is, it would be rare. Here's another picture of a Monk:

And here's what a nest might look like:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We've got a lot of wild parrots down here but it's also a hell of a lot warmer in the winter time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12591 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
I'd also vote Monk Parakeet. Note the wing shape, position of the primary feathers, the leg location and overall body shape. If it is, it would be rare. Here's another picture of a Monk:

That picture sure matches the under wing coloring.The info I saw online said they had a dark under wing color.
Im actually starting to think it could have been a parakeet.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You must not have read any of the links I posted. Here's a quote from one of em that was written in 2003.

quote:
The Hyde Park colony has survived Chicago's nastiest weather, a significant feat since the bird originates in the temperate, dry lowlands of South America. This is the harshest climate the birds survive anywhere in the world, according to Pruett-Jones. They do exist further north, in Amsterdam and Paris, for example, and during the 1980s they bred in Montreal, but only in the Chicago area do they currently withstand windstorms and ice baths, rain, snow, hail, and temperatures far below zero.

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter2003/monkparakeets.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would venture a guess that somebody's pet parrot got away on them. there are lots of different breeds that it could be

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
a friend at work said he was in hastings,mn, talking to some lawn service guys about the pictures i showed him, and they claim they see parakeets along the mississippi river there occasionally.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
quote:

You must not have read any of the links I posted. Here's a quote from one of em that was written in 2003.

quote:
The Hyde Park colony has survived Chicago's nastiest weather, a significant feat since the bird originates in the temperate, dry lowlands of South America. This is the harshest climate the birds survive anywhere in the world, according to Pruett-Jones. They do exist further north, in Amsterdam and Paris, for example, and during the 1980s they bred in Montreal, but only in the Chicago area do they currently withstand windstorms and ice baths, rain, snow, hail, and temperatures far below zero.

http://chicagowildernessmag.org/issues/winter2003/monkparakeets.html

wrongtarget - i wasn't talking so much about latitude as i was talking about climate. there might be some areas that are the same latitude or even farther north, but i doubt that their winters are as cold as they got from minnesota to the rocky mountain front in MN, ND and MT. we're talking several decades below zero, without the wind chill. montreal may be north of me, but i can guarantee that winters in the area i am talking about are not only colder, but also more severe.

having said that, the monk parrot is still the bird that looks most like the one in the picture. perhaps a few took a trip to MN and migrate south for the winter.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
well,supposedly ,they dont migrate.
But I bet on a 15 degree november morning,with a 30 mph tailwind,they would figure it out quick,or die! Big Grin

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a petstore for 20 years and sold quite a few monk parrots, also known as quaker parrots, and although the photo leaves a bit to be desired it sure does look like one to me.
They are winter hardy as far north as Chicago and Mass.
Incidently, they are against the law in some states do to the fear of grain crop depredation.

Posts: 4150 | Location: Adirondack Mountains, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
It is without a doubt an AGB.

JJ Audie Bon coffee

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
agb?

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb:
agb?

Another green bird..... Wink

Could not resist!!!! dancing I had a PH in South Africa on one trip and when I asked him about a bird, he told me that he was frequently asked that question and did not know half the birds there by name. And so he would say, in all seriousness, "why that's an ABB" to which the hunter or guest would reply "darn, it's not in my bird book." "Well, it is a very rare ABB."

(Another brown bird he told me with a big smile.) hijack

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like in PA CFW confusing fall warbler

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
the new minnesota hunting rule book lists the monk parakeet as an unprotected species which may be taken at any time.

"Unprotected Birds
House sparrows, starlings, common pigeons, chukar partridge,
quail other than northern bobwhite, and monk parakeets
are unprotected
and may be taken at any time."

I guess we must have at least a summer time population.
I am going to try an early morning birdwatching trip for tommorrow.I have been running the dogs before sunup pretty close to where I saw it ,and there is way more birds flying then,than a few hours later.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
Well,I was out there about 6:00 am this morning,right before sun up.
I did manage to see what I think was a monk parakeet.I only had a few seconds before it flew away,but it looked like a parrot-like green and white bird.I had my old 12x tasco binos along,which really bring them in,but have a small FOV.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have lots of flocks of these noisy Green Parrots in S Calif that feed on fruit.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
saw "the bird" again today in almost exactly the same place.it was flying out in to the corn field about an hour before dark.Didnt have the camera and the corn is about 7 ft tall now,couldnt get a pic if I had had one.
Long tail,flies in a head high,tail low atitude.looked to be pretty big,Id say at keast 18" from head to end of tail.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Next time it flies by shoot it then you will be able to identify it.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have several populations here as well, some were established by escaped zoo animals.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks like a pheasant and the size matches

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote