New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico or ? elk hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a hunt for elk hunt to celebrate my daughters graduation from law school. The celebration is both her graduating and our not having to pay tuition any longer!! Needs to be in September of 2015 and we don't want to rely on drawing a tag. The bull can be in the 300 range so a huge trophy not required. What is required is a good hunt experience. She has shot a few deer and hunts turkeys with me every year.
Thanks Gary

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I'd do just that NM private landowner guided.

Sorry I don't have any contacts, I'd talk to one of the medium sized booking agents. Safari Outfitters, Jack Atcheson, someone like that.

Too small and they probably suck. Too big like Cabelas or Diana and you run the risk of falling through the cracks.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with elk88101 he had some landowner tags in NM.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Beaverhead Outfitters. The Diamond family are stand up folks, and run a good outfitting/hunting operation

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archery, Rifle, or Muzzleloader??

There are rifle hunts in a few places in September, but the norm will be archery hunts. Maybe muzzleloader.

Utah has some CMWU hunts in Sept, but they are spendy. Montana has an early rifle season in the wilderness areas. Montana is a tag draw, but has had a couple thousand excess tags available the last three years. Colorado has Sept muzzleloader hunts in some units, tags are usually a draw, though. I don't know about Idaho or Wyoming.

How physical a hunt do you want? Full on back country with horses, or a ranch based hunt?

Check with Aaron Neilson on here, he reps for Safari Outfitters.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat went to a place in NM he liked.
I've hunted a ranch in Southern CO that I really like.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunny

Check out Blue Mountain Outfitters in New Mexico, you won't be disappointed.

Owner Bob Atwood
(505) 220-2879 cell
(505) 864-6867 home
Web site info@bluemountainoutfitters.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daughter is in good shape, ran her second marathon this summer. I can keep up with most guides. Thinking New Mexico because of the scenery and landowner tags. I guess the first rifle hunts are Oct 1st. Still not sure when her job starts.