New
Find
Notify
Tools

COLD FFET!/ Whats your warmest sock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My feel were almost frostbit this A.M. What kind of socks do you guys use to keep your feet warm?

Posts: 168 | Location: georgia | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smartwoll hunting extreme with liner socks.

mmmm good.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thorlo has a good line of wool socks Smart wool is good as well but if you really want your feet to stay warm and dry get a pair of Schnees pacs and you will never be disapointed.I work,hunt in them and use them for snowmobiling as well.Made in Bozeman MT.W/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Polypropolene, Thermax or Thermastat sock liners
Fox River Mills Outdoorsox or Wigwam Ice Sock
Hunting Boots with GoreTex and 800 gram Thinsulate
All sized properly
Peet Boot Dryers

If you really need warmth try a one to two size larger felt-lined pack boot with an added felt insole and a heat pack at the toes. Peet Boot Dryers are a must.

[ 11-30-2003, 05:34: Message edited by: jackfish ]

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't need warmer socks you need warmer boots. In the really cold weather, -10 and lower
I wear a pair of Baffins and no socks at all. This allows the moisture from your feet to pass into the lining and keeps your tootsies warm. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Silk liners and wool socks, my cold weather boots are insulated with thinsulate also. Haven't had to use them in the past few years though, it really needs to be around 0F or it's too warm.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try a little anti-perspirant on your feet to help with the sweating on the walk in. Not just deodorant but a anti-perspirant. My boots are warm but if my feet sweat walking or just driving to my hunting spot the feet get cold pretty quick. This seems to help me.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just used a pair of InGenius socks and I was amazed. They are Goretex and keep your feet totaly dry. I put a pair of Wigwam wools socks over them and after a four mile long hike in deep snow, the wool socks were soaked while the Goretex socks and my feet were dry.

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Smartwool Mountaineering grade socks with Smartwool Liner socks. They absolutely cannot be beat in my opinion. I have worn they from Colorado to Alaska several times. I discovered them while climbing mountains and hiking extensively and have used them ever since. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up here in North Dakota and hunt and fish full time so I know cold weather. Cold feet come about because of 2 conditions; wet feet from sweat, or poor insulation against the cold. The best boot and sock combination can cause cold feet IF THE FIT IS WRONG. If the boots are too tight, if the socks take up too much room inside the best boot, your feet will get cold. Use a quality boot and a sock that makes the boot feel loose. A lighter sock with room inside the boot will be warmer that a heavy sock that stuffs the boot. Stick with wool and synthetics. Cotton soaks up sweat and sheds all insulating properties. I spend a lot of time out on area lakes fishing through the ice. I NEVER get cold feet.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Thorlo makes the best socks in their extreme climbing line. Be sure to get the wool blend, not the pure synthetic.

The warmest feet, however, come from having mukluks. Ask the Innuit. Packs keep your feet stifled so they can't move.

Mukluks aren't good all-weather footgear.

www.mukluks.com

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to say but I use what I am issued for cold weather.(USMC gear) I have worn cold weather gear from the Marine Corps before and it works great. I know that the boots are Danners. I would look in to army surplus for some. They should be less $$$.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
US Issue VB or Mickey Mouse Boots. Black with a valve or white with valve. Black is good to 30 degrees below and should be great for you in Georgia. Sportsmen�s Guide has them or close to it.

Posts: 12 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300gram polar fleece socks.
Keep your feet warm in any weather, assuming good water proof boot, and with a good liner sock your feet stay nice and dry

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I use heavy socks made of Merino wool it doesn't itch and stay warm even when wet. I also change boots depending on the temp. Non-insulated to felt Pacs.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what you were doing when your feet got cold. If they were wet from sweat you will need a liner sock made from polypropolene or thermax. These socks can wick the moisture away. Wool is the warmest still out there because it will work if damp. This is what is recommended by both boot maker and sock makers. You do need air space to be "trapped". You don't want you boot so tight. When I had my boats custome made by Russel they measured my foot with a heavy sock like I would use.

The boot you are using has a lot to do with your feet too. I can wear a leather boot with 600 grams of thinksolute and a inner liner of 400 tgrams with heavy wool and the liner sock failrly comfortable. I wore these all day long for the Wisconsin deer season with comfort this year (temps were upper 20s low 30s)

If you need more warmth than a leather syle boot you have some options. You can get boot blanket to zip over top. They are grat but are bulky to carry. LaCrosse make great boots. The Ice King is my choice of boot for frigid temps. I have not have cold feet with these. I am a stand hunter in Wisconsin so not alot of movement is done. But with the bigger boots walking is ruled out for long distances. Another trick is to get thed chemical warmers and put them in between you liner sicok and wool sock. Aniother trick is to loosen you boots when you get to your stand. Tight boots and socks can cut off circulation. Try not to cross you legs for extended period because of this also. As said before do NOT use cotton socks. They hold moisture and have no insulation value. For long underwear theis is also true (poly pro or thermax). Now for the freaky tip. Put on a warmer hat. a good portion of body heat is lost through the head. This is over looked. I use the Columbia Kazoo (sp?) hat. It is a Gore tex with the fake fur lining.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
308-

If you're sure it's just your feet, I wear a pair of Lacrosse Burly 1200s and highly recommend them - but it's not just the boots that keep my feet warm.

I spent years trying all sorts of different combinations of items in the effort to keep my feet warm. I eventually learned that my problem was not my feet, but my entire body.

Part of the reason our feet get cold is because:
1. we stop moving, decreasing the amount of heat produced,
2. we are often sweating, which causes evaporational cooling, and,
3. as we get cooler, a condition known as vasoconstriction begins - this is the body's way of saving heat by 'shutting down' the bloodflow to the extremities (especially hands and feet). The body's natural reaction is to preserve the temp. of the brain and body core.

The 'secret' is to keep your head and body warm and dry - find a good warm hat and dress in warm layers. Probably something we all heard our grandmother tell us years ago - she was right!

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the advice!
THANKS!

Posts: 168 | Location: georgia | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As erict said when your feet get cold put on a good hat. 80% of your lost body heat goes through your noggin. For me it's probably more. For socks I love Smartwool with a wicking liner. For sitting on a stand I've never found anything better than good pac boots.

frostbite in Georgia? [Big Grin]

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote