New
Find
Notify
Tools

Western Hunting & Conservation Expo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody heading to the convention this year? This will be my first time attending and was wondering what advice people would give. I am looking to possibly book my first western hunt. Not sure exactly what i am looking for, i guess you could say i am going to browse. Anybody have any outfitter/guide recommendations to talk with? What about the auctions, wouldnt mind attending them once, dont plan on buying any at $100k, is there a extra fee or anything for the auction?

Anybody have any good recommendations for anything else to do in the Salt Lake area? Probably spend a day skiing. Anything to see in the winter on Antelope Island?

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be there. There will be something for everyone, if you have the cash of course. There are lots of ways to get a great tag out West, the convention drawing being about the worst. There will be plenty of guides there to take your money also.

Research what type of hunt you want to buy before you go and then shop the outfitters there. I am not an outfitter, but there are some great ways to get awesome hunts. Of course it all costs money. PM me if you want more info.

You will have to buy a dinner or some sort of admission to get into the banquets where the auctions are held. There is usually a 6% sales tax on all auction items, but maybe that is waived or maybe that is just on Utah hunts?

Antelope Island is a great place to take a drive and go for a hike. Bring some good glass and you WILL see a 200 inch mule deer. Not a bad way to spend a morning before the Expo opens.

You could hit Hardware ranch (approx 80 miles North of SLC) and go on a hayride to see/feed the wild elk. Ice fishing on Strawberry Resevior (80 miles East of SLC) is always fun (if you like the cold). You can just glass the foothills above the city and see deer. I don't ski anymore, but of course you know about that activity.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will be in booth 1017. Come by and visit...........wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody have any good recommendations for anything else to do in the Salt Lake area? Probably spend a day skiing. Anything to see in the winter on Antelope Island?

Cabelas, Trolley square and Rodizios, make it your only meal for the day! Big Grin Spend some time down town walking around and looking at the lights and the Temple. SLC is a nice city.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote