Find
Notify
Tools

what kind of berry is this-updated
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of jb
posted
any one out there know what kind of berry these are?

They grow near here in a few different places,probably on a old farm stead as there is apple trees and also these

which look to me to be plums.who can help me out?I could collect a few gallons of these if I had enough time.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The lower pic is wild plumb.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purple ones and red ones! Big Grin

I agree, wild plums on the bottom, not sure on the top! Huckleberry???????

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Top photo looks like huckleberries and the bottom photo looks like plums.

Huckleberries make wonderful pies and plums make terrific jelly.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Take a handfull of the top variety to work and leave on the break room table....(tell close friends not to eat)
....wait a day or two and you will know if they were tasty and safe. shocker

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the plums, but the top photo doesn't look like huckleberries. The fruit and leaves don't look right. The fruit should look like a big blueberry (they are in the same family). However it could be a domesticated variety.

Cut a branch with the fruit and take it to the local Extension Service or NRCS and they should be able to point you to the right name or know somebody who does. Likely if the birds haven't eaten them, there is a good reason not to try them until you know for sure.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the top ones look like ink berries and if thats what they i was always told they were poisonous the bottoms definatly look like the plums

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I looked long and hard on the ole internet for the top picture with no luck. The bottom one sure fits the description as many above have stated - wild plum. Here's a description from
University of Minnesota Extension :

"Wild Plum
(Prunus americana)

This is a shrub or small tree growing from 3 to 20 feet high. It is found in thickets, along roadsides,pastures, riverbanks, and old farmsteads. The fruit has a sub-acid flavor, is round, red or yellow, and 1/2 inch to 1 inch in diameter. It ripens in August and September. It is used for sauce, pies, jelly, and preserves."

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I have fired off an email to the local extension office, here in farmington.I will post up when I find out what kind it is.
The plum tree and the other berry tree,grow right next to each other.I would guess they were planted,at some point in time.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
The top one looks like Nannyberry, a Viburnum. If so, the berries are edible and make nice jam.

The bottom one is a wild plum, also a good wild fruit.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
If the ones in the top photo grow on a bush I would not eat them until I found out for sure what they were. As a child growing up I was always told they were poisonous by my grandfather and dad. Of course thats in my part of the country.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
The extension agent is off till next week. Frowner
riding around on the bicycle, and looking,I see there are hundreds of these tree/bushes around with these berrys on them. literally Hundreds .

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
The extension agent just got back to me on the berry....it is buckthorn,a very invasive plant.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Its a good thing you didn't listen to me and make a pie out of those berries. Goes to show you have to be careful about what you eat in the wild.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a listed Noxious weed in many states. Good thing you didn't eat any! My internet search states the berries contain a laxative. This ensure that the seeds will be dispensed everywhere by birds.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you, but that top photo of the dark berries are BUCKTHORN. Considered Invasive and considered undesirable and quite hard to eradicate.

The others are plums.

Posts: 68 | Location: AK, MN winter | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
your very good,AJ,but a little late. Smiler

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
I would take a branch into the local garden store and see what they think.

If it is a buckthorn, I don't see any thorns.

Is it a small tree like a chokecherry? Looks similar.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
yes it is a smaller tree.they are everywhere I look.Now that they have fruit,they are very easy to see.
The county agriculture department id'ed it as buckthorn.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM