New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping and receiving rifle
 Login/Join

<AVMcGee>
posted
Can I mail my rifle to an out of state gunsmith for repairs and then the gunsmith mail the rifle back directly to me? Thanks .

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Federal laws allow this. There are diffeerent methods of shipping including USPS, UPS, Fedex. Up until recently I used UPS exclusively. I have now used the Postal Services registered mail and have had great results.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's perfectly legal. However, be prepared to deal with people that don't know their own company's rules when you go to ship it. For example, years ago UPS tried to refuse my shipping a rifle to a gunsmith for a rebarrel job. I had to call the gunsmith from the UPS office (on my calling card) and have to gunsmith direct the UPS manager to the exact paragraph in the shipping regs that states it's legal. All in all it took about 30 minutes to get this done when it should have been just like shipping any other package. It would be much easier if UPS would actually train their employees to do their jobs, but their turnover is so high that you don't get the brightest bulbs when dealing with them. Maybe the USPS wouldn't be as much of a hassle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am FFL holder is only required in ownership transfers. From Alaska it is a lot cheaper and less hassle to use the USPS priority mail.
Ups and fed-X are way over priced. In the states it might be different though.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used USPS Priority mail and for the most part they have been terrific to deal with. Just make sure to follow their regulations to the letter. One of the BATF suggestions, and one the Postal Service likes to see followed, is to never indicate on the box that their is a firearm inside. So, plain boxes with simple mailing labels work fine. No manufacturer boxes with big "Remington" labels or such unless covered.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
Thanks for the responses.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
I've used UPS many times. No problems at all. I always insure though, just for good measure.

MM

<leo>
posted
Ship your gun in a good quality hard case that's lockable, it can be plastic. To keep the case from being marked too much, put it in one of those long plastic bags(Fedex has them) and fold the excess back over and then tape around the covered case a whole bunch with that tough tape they provide. If the lock fails the tape will keep it tightly closed and then insure it just in case. Also, take the bolt out and lay it alongside the barrel. Mail the key separate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've sent guns to gunsmiths through mail and had only one bad episode. UPS managed to break apart a study carton and lots of parts were lost. I suggest that you send your rifle assembeled or taped together and get plenty of insurance.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35nut.....repeat after me. Alaska "is" part of the States....we are The Lower 48 not "the states" .... you are showing your age.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all UPS,USPS and Fed-ex shippers will knowingly accept a firearm.
MailBoxes Etc makes it a corporate policy NOT to accept for shipping or receiving any type of firearm for any reason.

I still use them though, I just put the firearm in a box and don't mark it w/ what's inside.

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 35nut:
A FFL holder is only required in ownership transfers.

I perfectly understand that I am able to send a rifle to a gunsmith. I am wanting to check if the gunsmith can turn around and ship the repaired gun directly back to me .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he can legally ship it back to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with 35nut on the USPS being the way to go. Send it registered and have the gunsmith do the same on the return. I do this probably twice a year and have had no problems at all.

Somtimes the post office people don't know it is legal. I tried to ship my guns home from MT last fall but was stone walled by postal employee that of course knew everything. I would suggest that you call your local PO and get them to check the regs before you get there with your gun and have to fight with them.

Posts: 12918 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

35nut.....repeat after me. Alaska "is" part of the States....we are The Lower 48 not "the states"
DB you are right. But after 23 years in Alaska some of the local slang takes over.
And when it comes to shipping Alaska is treated like another plannet insted of one of the states.
By the way how did you gues that I was 40 years old?

<Alaskan>
posted
I had kinda a related question for someone. Same thing but can you send a rifle to a relative for their use through the mail system?

Thanks

Pat

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaskan.....as far as the law is concerned a relative is just another person with respect to sending them a firearm. Short answer is "No, no legally".

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once again READ MY LIPS. If there is no ownership transfer and the person can legally possess a firearm you can ship the firearm to them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently tried to send my lever rifle through Mailboxes Etc (to get it re-finished), and the lady at the counter had a cow when I told her what I was intending to ship. She said I could not even be in the store with a firearm. I then called the local post office and inquired if I could ship a firearm through the USPS and was informed that I could not. I ended up using FedEX (firearms can only go Overnight priority) and paid $40.00. So what is the correct answer on using the USPS for firearms shipment?. Anyone have a link to the regulation concerning this issue?.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35Nut, that is definitely not true. A while ago, when I asked about sending firearms through the mail somebody posted the pertinent regulations from the BATF.
They clearly state that a rifle may not be sent to another person without an FFL. You may, however, send a gun to yourself at another address, but you are the only one who can open the box at the receiving end.
If I can find the thread again, I'll post the link to it.
USPS does allow guns to be shipped, however many clerks don't know their butts from a lifesaver when it comes to their own regulations, so forget trying to argue the point with them.- Sheister

Found the thread- the regs were more complete on another thread but I can't find it right now. However, these regs cover this discussion-under a post by Customstox
http:www.serveroptions.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?

[ 08-23-2002, 09:21: Message edited by: Sheister ]

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other big advantage in using registered mail with USPS is that the insurance is greatly reduced. I was part of the team on the 2002 ACGG rifle this past spring and the cost to ship and insure at $15K dropped to half using registered mail. It is not as fast but everyone who touches the package has to sign off on it. They are locked up in a secure place when left anywhere overnight. I would not even consider using UPS anymore.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<AVMcGee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by efryman:
I recently tried to send my lever rifle through Mailboxes Etc (to get it re-finished), and the lady at the counter had a cow when I told her what I was intending to ship. She said I could not even be in the store with a firearm. I then called the local post office and inquired if I could ship a firearm through the USPS and was informed that I could not. I ended up using FedEX (firearms can only go Overnight priority) and paid $40.00. So what is the correct answer on using the USPS for firearms shipment?. Anyone have a link to the regulation concerning this issue?.

I am putting this reply here from mssmagum. It is taken from the classified forum.

posted 08-11-2002 08:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, here is the info from their site on shipping guns. Bottom line, you can send to any dealer period but not directly to an individual unless you are picking it up there.....

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Here is the info on buying and selling....

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state, if the buyer is not prohibited by law from receiving or possessing a firearm, or to a licensee in any state. A firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the
purchaser's own state? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR

Here is a link to the info.....

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm

<AVMcGee>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
Yes, he can legally ship it back to you.

Thanks everyone.