New
Find
Notify
Tools

200gr Speer Hotcor for elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just found out that I drew a cow tag for here in WA. I'd like to use my 338-06 for the hunt, but I'd like some input on my load choice.

My rifle shoots the Speer 200gr Hotcor into 1" groups at 100yds. My personal testing with this load has proven it to be an extremely tough bullet. I also have some of the 230gr Fail Safes that shoot closer to 1.5" at the same range. I would tend think that the 200gr would be the best choice since it shoots better out of my gun. What do you folks think?

All else fails, I'll pull out the 458 Win Mag with the 400gr X bullets. This one shoots about 1" at 100yds too. It's just a beast to carry through the woods. This one usually comes along as my backup rifle for bear and elk hunting

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

"I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow."

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI
my hunting group has teens who hunt Elk
some use a 270 or a 30-06
you don't need a cannon to kill an Elk-

you can use what ever rifle you have
the 338-06 is fine

http://members.tripod.com/~elkhunter2/index.html

Many hunters and guides consider the .270 too light to be used as an Elk caliber. Maybe, maybe not, but the crudentials of the .270 in the field cannot be denied. The .270 with it's oversized case holds enough powder to push a 150-grain bullet in the 3,000 fps range, and the retained energy at 400 yards is nearly 1,200 ft/lbs, which will certainly ruin any Elks day with a well placed shot.
But because the heaviest bullet offered is the 150-grain, many hunters prefer a caliber that offers a heavier bullet and more retained energy.
You will have to consider the type of terrain you will be hunting in also and the U.S. Forest Service would be a good place to start for this infomation, or the Game and Fish department for the state you will be hunting in.
Consider the fact that in certain situations the Elk will not always be standing broadside, and the bullet will have to go through a great deal of mass and bone to hit the vitals. But there is no doubt about it , the .270 has proved itself to be an adequite caliber for Elk hunting.

Posts: 46 | Location: Down South but north of OZ | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 200 grain Speer in my 338 Winchester magnum as a deer load. I pushed it to 2600 fps and found it to be a pretty soft bullet. If I were to hunt the western Wa mountains I would want a tougher bullet. It might work OK at the longer ranges on the eastern side of the cascades.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I killed my first elk with a 200gr HotCore from a 30-06. 'Course this was quite a few years ago. The deer and elk have gotten a lot tougher since then. Evidenced by the sorts of weapons used to harvest them. Big Grin

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would use the speer. I used the 200 speer in my 338 win mag for deer. Reloading data said 3000 fps. I thought they were plenty tough.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk are not as tough as cape buffalo or hippos.

If you're shooting your .338-06 well (which it sounds like you are) by all means take a crack at an elk with it.

The belief that elk are somehow "super" tough, came from folks who made marginal shots (either hitting guts or limbs). In that case, you'll be following that elk for a long way, regardless if you shot it with a .223 or a .458.

MG

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have seen elk do funny things when well hit. They aren't bullet proof but tougher than deer, especially big bulls. I shoot a .338-06 & it is my primary elk rifle. Mine likes the 210grNP & I use the 200grSpeer for practice loads. In my tests I have also found the Speer a bit soft when fired into water soaked phone books. At 2650fps impact vel. it expands to .600"/150gr remaining wt. The 210grNP expands a bit more but retains more wt. I have only recovered one 210grNP from anything, that was a big bodied Kudu bull shot in the chest facing me. The bullet looks exactly like the test bullets I shoot into wetpack. It expands to about .73"/185gr remaining wt. I would shoot the 200grSpeer but resist raking or frontal shots or shoulder/bone shots & you should be fine. If it's a cow tag I wouldn't be as concerned. It's a good elk load @ 2800fps. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends hunts elk in Colorado using 165gr nosler solid base bullets @ 3400+fps in his 300 weatherby gets one every year, btw he uses the same bullet for mule deer and bear it has to do with shot placement.Another friend has used a 6mm ruger#1 to kill elk in colorado but he can call his shots ie: head,neck or chest and I've seen the animals he's shot, he was trained by the usmc recon as a sniper.The apache guide I hired for the anterless elk hunt on the San Carlos Apache Rez uses 130gr bullets in a 270 and gets an elk every year.I've used an M1 Garand for mule deer in colorado,my 06 sako and my 300wm sako.On the elk hunt I'll use my 300wm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would use the North Fork 225 grain bullet in your 338/06.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
COLLEGEKIDANDY - "I would tend think that the 200gr would be the best choice since it shoots better out of my gun. What do you folks think?"

Yep. Shoot accurately at a cow elk with that load and you'll have a prime elk roast for Thanksgiving dinner.

Good luck.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your thoughts everyone. I figured that the 200gr Speer would work, but I hadn't found any one with who used it on an elk.

I haven't had much time to spend hunting the last few years. Usually only 3-4 days for deer and elk seasons combined. I would just hate to blow it because of a poor bullet choice.

More than anything, I don't have time to work up a new load. Otherwise I would have worked up a load with the Barnes Triple Shocks.

Andrew

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I would say press on with the Speer. My elk/deer load is 165gr Speer Hot-Cor out of my .308Win...accurate (for me), and cheap...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think the issue is bullet wieght but bullet construction. That bullet will shed its core on a close shot. The Speer Grand Slam would be a better bet or I believe Speer has acquired the old Bitterroot bonded core process which is even more dependable. My vote, the 210 Nosler partition. It just works.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding? Those 200 grain Speers only costs about 20 cents apiece! Everybody knows that it is impossible to kill even a small, sickly elk with any bullet that costs less than 75 cents. And you're better off spending a dollar or more.

But if you really think you're going to find an elk cheap enough to lay over dead for a 20 cent bullet, then go ahead, and good luck, chump.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
CK, unless your rifle is really picky, I'll bet the same load you use for your 200gr Speer will also do well w/ the 210grNP. In my rifle I load 1/2gr less powder for the 210grNP as I do the 200gr Speer & POI is almost identical. Still, if you stay off the shoulder or raking shots I think your 200gr Speer will be ok, especially if you are beyond 100yds. Good hunting! beer

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
CK,
I have been elk hunting for the last 25 years in my great State of Oregon. I have seen elk taken cleanly with calibers from the 30-30 all the way to the 375 H&H. Most of those from core lokts, silvertips etc. DO NOT listen to some jackass who would try to tell you that the price of a bullet is the deciding factor in an elks demise.
The 338-06 is an excellent choice for elk, and the 200 gr Speer in that caliber considering the modest velocity should be more than adequate to do its part, as long as you do yours.
I am constantly amazed at the amount of "expert" elk hunters from across the country who go on a out of State hunt a time or two and tell the rest of the Native Western hunters that the only thing that will kill an elk is a huge magnum loaded for "bear". Elk are tough, no doubt about it, but considering your caliber-bullet choice you obviously know that.

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried a number of bullets out of this rifle, including the 210 Partion, 225 A-Frame, and the 225 Interbond. It just prefers conventional bullets over most of the premiums that I've tried. I figured that since most .338 bullets were designed for the larger magnums, they would perform well at the modest velocities of the 338-06.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
It'll work fine out of a .338-06. The velocity is low enough it will hold together. I wouldn't shoot the shoulder. In fact I would probably go to a 225 or 250gr standard bullet like a Hornady interlock or Sierra Gameking.

You won't have problems unless you were driving them much faster and aiming for bones. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the .270 has proved itself to be an adequite caliber for Elk hunting.

If you are willing to settle for "adequate".

By the way,I still can't find where the original poster even mentioned the 270win in his post. Big Grin

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Adequate EekerOUCH! True though. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by collegekidandy:
I just found out that I drew a cow tag for here in WA. I'd like to use my 338-06 for the hunt, but I'd like some input on my load choice.

I've used the 200 gr Hot core in Africa, and I assure you, it is too soft for Elk. Please use a tougher bullet (like a 210 gr TSX or Nosler partition).

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why you guys use light for caliber bullets in big bores escapes me. I'd use the 225's or even 250's. I used the 225 gr NP's at 2550 fps in my .338-06 and killed a decent bull with one shot in excess of 300 yds.

Unless your shooting at 500 yds 1" accuracy isn't needed either. The ability to be physically capable of getting to the elk, then quickly placing a bullet from a field position is far more important than a 1" group or a 1.5" group off a bench.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
But Frank, I love the 210grNP in my .338-06. Then again, I could never get any 225gr bullet to shoot well enough to leave the 210s at home. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred,

Hot, Hot and HOT. 99 today with over a hundred for tommorow. WHEN Ya coming out again??

Picked up my new Rem Sendeo .300 Win Mag. The LR elk gun project rifle. Too hot to shoot it.
Trying to get some good properties lined up for big game season before everyone else gets the idea.

Seeing some GOOD muleys lately, all in velvet. LONG time to big game season but a few may survive the roads and the poachers. Looking forward to hunting this year.

FN

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
HEy Fank, unfortuantely I didn't draw this year but we may be up the end of Sept. for a friends wedding. We'll stay a few days & go walk the property some more, more house planning, etc. Set a night aside the weekend fo 9/23, well grab dinner & visit.
Yeah, it's hot everwhere this year. Must be that global warming thing huh? animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a cow elk tag, I wouldn't feel under gunned with a 6mm Remington....

I tote a 338/06 also, when hunting elk...For cow elk, I don't think there is such a thing as a bad bullet for elk hunting....in 338 bore....whatever the gun shoots well, load her up and go get 'em!

I usually shoot 200 grain Hornadys in my 338/06 for open country.. and the 250 grain RN hornady for thicket hunting for elk....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338-06 is a great choice.

I do not have any experience using the Speers on Elk, but I have shot elk with the 210gr NP's and TSX's out of a 338-06. They have worked great to say the least.

I have used Hornady 200gr SP's extensively for practice and deer. If I had to, I would use them elk. But I don't have to.

This is my opinion based on my experiences. If your comfortable with the load, use it. There is no doubt in my mind that your load will kill an elk.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote