Find
Notify
Tools

how does cougar taste
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted
some one was telling me that cougar meat tastes great. i personally would not consider eating one. i have never shot one and have never heard of anyone eating them. just curious. TIA

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Cougar- the other white meat.

Cougar is excellent. Looks and has a similar texture to pork.

Stay WELL away from any sinew, fat and bits like that. I would suggest only eating the choice bits, but I hear some like to stew the shoulder meat.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check my comments on eating my cougar.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten fried backstrap on a couple of ocassions and it was very good indeed, however I never much liked the idea of eating a damn cat. They lick there ass you know

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
How does cougar taste??

Like pussy, I hear.

cwilson

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
good one cwilson!!!!!!! my wife keeps telling me she wants to have a (house) cat but i dont think i could eat a whole one.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
In a word, GREAT!
A friend of mine did up one shoulder (boned it out first) as a pot roast. It was very tasty and not at all tough. Some cuts are tough, just like a beef.

The coloration and texture will remind you of pork, but the flavor is all its own.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard that it tastes just like Spotted Owl!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Last year at the Big Buck Contest banquet they had a long table out with all sorts of wild game. I tried some sweet and sour couger. It was a little chewy and odd tasting but the sweet and sour hid the taste for the most part. There was some other couger dish that was gone before I got up there. Everybody said that was better.

There was also some grizzly bear that I missed out on.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
LE270, I actually can't make my mind up as to whether it taste more like spotted owl, condor, or possibly chicken; however I can't remeber what chicken taste like because it's been a since I had any, so it must be spotted owl or condor. Seriously, I had some around the campfire a couple years ago when I was in Idaho elk hunting. They fixed up like chicken strips, and I thought that's what I was eating until they told me otherwise.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To me it tastes a lot like whooping crane. I prefer something more tender.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had never heard of eating Cougar until a couple days ago a coworker commented on how good it is, apparently it's pretty tasty.

Posts: 113 | Location: no fixed address | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
M16 wrote:
Quote:

To me it tastes a lot like whooping crane. I prefer something more tender.

M16 - Ya know what they call SandHillCrane?
RibEye in the sky...
really good