Find
Notify
Tools

Mexico hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
Exploratory hunt with a new outfitter hunting out of Empalme. Rodrigo Velezquez hunts his own ranch, neighboring ranches and Yaqui land. I was his first American client. His camps are primitive and will need to be updated with better amenities, but his areas are good and his equipment is adequate. His is a hell of a tracker, especially since he is primarily a bowhunter. I took both deer in the first 5 days and spent another 5 days looking for javelina, which I never saw, and shooting coyotes and jack rabbits. I used my Winchester, M-70, 30.06 with handloaded Sierra 165 grain loads. Both deer were killed at less than 80 yards. The Coues was running full speed quartering way and piled up in spectacular fashion. It was a hard hunt, but one I would certainly do again.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic animals!!!....Congrats!

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
When (notice I didn't say "if") you go back - I am going with!
Good Trophies Boet.
-
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good hunt and took trophies to be proud of. Congrats.

Posts: 633 | Location: California | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great bucks. Congrats. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a shame, such great hunting in such a unstable country. If it were safer all us Texicans would go back to hunting there as we did in the 80s and 90s. You couldn't pay me to enter that country now.

GREAT trophies and it sounds like a great week of hunting!

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We will have nothing to do with Mexico or Mex. products.

You could not pay me to go there.

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I was apprehensive about the trip before I left, but had put it off for a year and the outfitter was wanting to get my take on his operation. I figured what the hell, I had been in Zimbabwe at the height of the farm invasions and when the first killings had taken place and was there a few years later during the elections and when Mugabe was cracking down on the opposition in Harare. Mexico couldn't be anymore dangerous than that.

I drove down from Oklahoma with a friend. He is fluent in Spanish, having lived in Mexico for 7 years and being married to a Mexican gal. We crossed at Nogales after we met our outfitter on the US side. Getting the gun permits was a bit of a run around, but no major problems other than they insisted on counting every round of ammo. We then drove to Empalme and had no troubles. Everyone we met was freindly and helpful. The ranches we visited were always offering help, a meal and a cold drink. I flew home from Hermosillo and had no trouble with my guns or my trophies either in Mexico or Phoenix. I saw no evidence of violence or drug cartels in the areas I traveled and never felt in danger in any way. Once a guy gets accustomed to the slower pace of the Mexicans and learns to roll with the flow everything works out fine. I would go back next year unless things change drastically.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
My wife & I just returned from vacation/business in Mexico. We spent 8 days traveling by bus between MxCity, Pachuca, Real del Monte, Queretero, San Miguel, Guanajuato & Leon. Wonderful time, friendly people, beautiful scenery, food, architecture, etc. Only heightened military/police presence was on the highway outside Queretero. If you've never been to Guanajuato or San Miguel, put it on your bucket list.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote