New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ammo available in Mongolia?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunted there a few yers ago and rented there gun since I was traveling there from Korea and did not have a rifle with me. Was a real experince. Traveled around looking for a gun then ran around looking for ammo. Found seven rounds for $5.00 each. On the way to the field I stopped on the side of the road and shot at a rock to make sure it was hitting alright. Pretty primative. Worked though shot two rounds. One Ibex and one elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the regulations are that a firearm and ammo must be in seperate CONTAINERS. They may be in the same bag as long as the ammo is in one container, and the rifle in another.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could make a suggestion:

I bought a Cabella's Alakan bag (luggage) with two compartments.It has a bottom (rectangular) compartment that is about 4 or 5 inches tall, by maybe 32 inches long, 12 inches wide. The top compartment is huge, and will hold anything from sleeping bags to boots.

I now remove my action from the stock of my rife, and put the barreled action and scope into a locking (breakdown) case, that fits into the bottom compartment of the suitcase.
The stock then goes into the top compartment of the bag, as does my ammo (the ammo is in a small-size Pelican case).

Now, my ammo and rifle always arrive together (or alternatively are lost together).

I have never had TSA or customs (or any airline people) give me a hard time about it.

One caveat: be careful how you fill the large volume of the top part of the bag. You can easily get all your essential gear into in. Thats the problem. The airlines are getting REALLY strict about the 50 lb. limit on one bag. Last overseas trip I had 80 lbs total weight in that one bag, and had to pay the overweight cost. If you take connecting flights, you have to pay the overweight on EACH leg.

When you get to your final destination just reassemble the rifle and sight it in.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Last I heard, packing ammo and firearms into the same bag was a no-no for airlines in the USA...maybe the disassembly mediates that, but I think you have been lucky thus far.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote