New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer aoudad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just booked a hunt with Mike McKinny to hunt aoudad in west Texas at the end of June. It's gonna be hot but in the end it was too much temptation for my cousin and I to pass up. With the weather pushing 100 degrees here in Tucson every day at least we'll be somewhat acclimated. Hoping to have some pics to share and a decent story to tell. Either way it beats not doing any hunting during the summer! Anyone else hunted aoudad in the summer heat before?

Posts: 150 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
It's not usually as easy as a winter hunt, But it's better than sitting in your living room! Well, I have actually never been in your living room so I wouldn't know ...

If you have never hunted them, you will be amazed at how they can just appear in an area you have been glassing for an hour. No different than a lot of Western Big Game hunting though.

Is it guided or unguided?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted aoudad on public land in New Mexico for the last 6 years and shot 5 decent ones but nothing over 27". This will be my first hunt for them in Texas. Really looking forward to hunting an area where the rams have a chance to mature. On public land it's not uncommon for guys to shoot the first sheep they see and a lot of young rams hit the dirt. We are doing somewhat of a combo hunt. Mike will be with us for a couple days and we'll hunt a couple more on our own if we haven't shot our rams yet. This is going to be a real change. My best ram was shot on a morning that was -6 and blowing snow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a quick video my client put together from our hunt out there last week. Was 110degrees and we were still on the Aoudad, this is the place we will be at so a little teaser for yah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded

I offer primarily free range hunts and also preserve hunts on 1 million acres across west and southwest Texas for native and exotic game.

www.westtexashunt.com

Please Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/

Posts: 440 | Location: El Paso/ Far West Texas | Registered: 20 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the summer hunt. Hopefully you'll find that 30+

We're booked with Mike for early Nov for aoudad as well.
Looking forward to the hunt. Haven't chased aoudad back home in west TX in the last 8yrs now.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Southwesthunter,

Great, it helps to have some experience with Aoudad. You should have a great hunt. Looking forward to a hunt report.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No teasers necessary Mike. I've been waiting for years to hunt aoudad in west Texas. Thanks Scotty. Your gonna need to take Cody's shells away so he doesn't shoot the first 20" to come along! Will definitely do a hunt report just hoping it includes grip n grin pics of a couple good ones. It'll beat sitting on the couch or being at work.