New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: IS THERE a lesson here????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All in good fun of course and I'm all for useing what your comfortable with. While your 340 will certailny open doors that a 243 wouldn't I'm not so sure about that at those ranges with a 270 or a 30-06. I'm very comfortable with the 270 for boo with the right bullet. I carried a Weatherby Accumark on my last boo hunt at about 9# with the scope. Never again after picking up a Kevlar stocked Mtn rifle that weighs in at 6.5 # Heck I get sore just thinking about the weight of those 340 cartridges ! I certainly agree with you that a little overpowered is better than under, but neighbor you and I have a different idea of just what a "little" over powered is !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Lawcop, One of the questions I have for you as a fellow michigander is where do you get to practice shooting at those distances ? I think one of the reason so many are uncomfortable with shooting at 300 yards is they never get a chance to practice at the range with those distances. I personally have never been to a range with even a 200 yard lane.
PS. If you need any help eating those steaks up just give me a call ! Caribou is the best venison I have ever had.

CLEAR CUTS,
Right now the areas North of West Branch all the way to Grayling and over to Tawas are rife with clear cuts in the state and fed forests.
I have been driving them for years finding different ranges.
Finally the state sold a contract for about 4000 acres within 6 miles of my home where I found the almost perfect 1000yd range. It has a hill at both ends for the perfect shooting height and the backstop hill is 60 feet high.
We have measured out to 1700yds for shooting but haven't used it yet. THe longest I have played at is 1200yds. On one dead calm day I got myself a 10" five shot group with the .340 but with only 10power glass it is really tough to get the sight picture you need for group shooting.

Lots of places to shoot long in the state forests. All you need is to have a small game icense to avoid hassles with the DNR.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

THAT'S what I get for hanging around with cops, even Canadian ones. I hunt with 4 Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMPs) men . They are like the FBI of Canada. These guys can let their hair down but they are real gentlemen and sportsmen . They are also a lot of fun. They simply won't take shots they can't make, but they don't mind asking me to take one for them.

At first I did not want to say anything, but with your other post combined with this one, it takes the cake!

Lawcop said:

Quote:

I took both of them because it was outside of HIS comfort range to take them and we were on the last day of the hunt.

YEAH, real gentlemen and sportsmen! HA!

Look, LAWCOP, nothing against you personally, but what you did in the Province of Quebec is ILLEGAL for both you and for them to do!

You guys broke the law, and ignorance of the laws are no excuse!
To top it off, you guys are police/RCMP officers- shame on all of you! You are not above the law.

For the benefit of other forum members who may not have hunted in Quebec:

It is strictly forbidden to take or attempt to take any animal on behalf of or for another hunter or permit holder. In other words it is illegal to party hunt or shoot another animal for another hunter.

Irregarless of my personal views on what you did, when you come to hunt Quebec, please respect these laws- that is what being a real sportsman is all about.It should not be about filling tags, but about real sportsmanship and respect for the laws of the land.

BTW, the Quebec S.O.S. Poaching hotline 1 800 463-2191. Their toll-free information line is 1 800 561-1616.

Suffice it to say that the info on this forum will remain on this forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd been thinking about range finding optics and when I asked Bruce for his recogmendations for a range finding scope "Shepherd" was the only word to come out of his mouth. Good enough for me It took 1 phone call to Shepherd to hammer out the correct reticle for my handload (great people to speak with) and locate a stocking dealer, and I have been a happy camper ever since.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I SOLD Bruce on the Shepherd idea when he started playing with mine then took my .340 to Grayling to play with out on the floppers out to 1000meters many years ago.
He has seen they work as they advertise and he KNOWS about how they stand behind their warranties....
(a very long story applies here, get him to tell you sometime.)

I sold an extra P1 I had to one of the mounties this year while up there and I am waiting for commitments to pick up some more.

Without the Shepherd I wouldn't have been able to take the bulls I did this year.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote