Find
Notify
Tools

Aoudad - To Eat Or Not To Eat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted
Upcoming Aoudad hunt with a buddy. He's heard that they aren't very tasty and I have heard they are. What's the verdict for those that hunt/eat them?

Question:
Should we eat or donate the Aoudad meat?

Choices:
Eat it!
Dontate it!
I've never shot nor eaten one, but I still have an opinion!

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never shoot anything I don't take to eat. If I find I don't like it, well, the German Shepherd has to eat too.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Jalepeno cheese Summer Sausage made out of Aoudad/Pork is lip-smackin' good.

Last one I shot I got 35 two pound rolls.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to argue with that pic!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
Larry, it's just a poll to see what others do. I plan on keeping mine (assuming I get one). I'm just running the poll for my friend. I don't mind donating for Hunters For The Hungry, either...

http://tacaa.org/hunters-for-the-hungry

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never killed or ate one,but sure would give it a whirl.Almost any wild game should be hung for a week before butchering so all the blood drains out of the meat.It also gives the enzymes time to break the meat down.I raised meat goats for a time.The meat could smell pretty funky unless you aged it. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one old ram made completely into smoked sausage, it was good, but that is a LOT of sausage, especially after adding pork.

A young lamb I shot ate pretty good.

The ONLY way i would try to eat an old trophy ram would be sausage, unless you are very fond of strong mutton.......

Normally I feed Coyotes and Buzzards...

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What JTEX said....

Posts: 10375 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pulled the tenders out of a couple…OK
Heads and capes for the rest.
Didn't think of sausage, would try that.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As with any meat, proper care after harvest is important. I've found Doodads very good if properly cared for and prepared. Don't overcook! It is usually pretty lean so adding oil is the ticket. As an example, a nice round steak on the grill tenderly brushed with Italian Dressing is very tasty.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote