New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted

I got lucky enough to draw a California Bighorn permit for this season In the Owyhee River Wilderness. I guided sheep hunters in Wyoming for 21 years so this turned out to be my #50 sheep hunt.

Personally my only ram was a Dall I killed in the Yukon in the 1986.

I had never been to the Owyhee desert wilderness before obtaining this permit so I knew I really needed to scout it out well to be successful. I spent four days each week since the middle of July through August learning the country. Some of it was finding good ram locations and some was eliminating places to look when the season started. I found one dead ram during these trips.

This area is all Wilderness, non motorized travel so a lot of walking is involved. I used my ATV to get around on the trails which are the boundary of the wilderness in many places. The closest you can get to the canyon rim is one mile and often the rim can be up to three miles from the Jeep trail. I only saw one person for five minutes off in the distance while scouting and no evidence of other people in the places I went. It is a very remote location. I was always alone during all of my scouting trips.

My hunt opened 8/30. I did have a friend who went with me and planned to stay with me for the first three days. I brought enough supplies(food, water and fuel) to spend 20 days since the season was only 16 days long and I left home three days before the season opener.

The first day of the hunt we hiked around a big area which was like a horseshoe but saw only seven ewes. We moved to another location where we decided to pack food, water and minimal camp gear to spend the night where we ended up at dark.
We hiked nine miles starting at 5am trying to get to a section that we knew would hold rams. We reached the canyon rim at 8:30am then offed our packs to start glassing the canyons and flats above the rims.

At about 10am we heard three loud, yet muffled cracks in succession which came from the lower canyon behind the canyon walls. I told my friend I was going to check it out so I skirted the canyon rim to a saddle in the next southern peak.

I heard loud shale noises echoing below which sounds like dinner plates shattering. Glassing, I spotted nine rams feeding in the river bed below. I ranged them at 494 yards. They were very active, clumping together when one found some good feed then scattering to other lush greens. I watched them for several minutes while devising a plan to get to a good shooting location. I decided to shift around to the left of the peak then move lower to get to the edge of the cliff for a good vantage point and possible shot.

I reached the edge of the 500 foot cliff where I pulled out the legs of my bipod and set up for the shot. Watching the rams, I chose the one I thought was the largest which I could see had well broomed horns. I ranged him at 286 yards as he moved to the left of the group to eat by himself. I was looking at him below at about a 60 degree angle so I held the crosshairs of my Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X scope even with the bottom of his body. When he was broadside and still, I touched the trigger of my Rem 700KS .280rem. He flattened out on his right side when the 145gr Speer hit him in the shoulder. I watched him struggle to rise for a few seconds before deciding to give him an anchor shot. I watched and waited for another ten minutes before heading back to my friend at the only access point to the river bed below.

We emptied our packs of gear then started for the ram. We walked the river bed for 1.5 miles which snaked around several big turns. We reached the ram then took photos of my 10 1/2 year old Bighorn. I commenced to caping while my friend skinned the rear and took off quarters. After I finished caping and prepping the skull I deboned the quarters and loins for the lightest loads.

We headed back to our gear where we spent the night. We got up Monday morning, ate, then hiked back to our base. Loaded up the ATV's to return home.

It was a great hunt in spectacular, wild country. It has lots of Indian history including that of Claude Dallas back in the 1980's. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to enjoy this experience.

Thanks for reading.

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely awesome, but I can't see the pics?! Great story, thanks for posting.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Planning pays off.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS, Fantastic story and pictures.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your story, very nice hard earned Ram.
Congratulations~!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!! Congratulations on doing it the right way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10 1/2 years old what a great old ram

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great ram, great story, great pictures! Thank you!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Well done!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice ram. Could have been worse if you stepped on the last picture! shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and pics. I still hate snakes. Hope you saw him well before he saw you, but it was probably the other way around!

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dux,

That is an excellent California Big Horn ram. I spent a lot of time counting and capturing BH in the Owyhee River area. You took what a hunter should. He is an older age ram for sure.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job.

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!! Congratulations!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
He's a real dandy! Congratulations.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, and beautiful country! Thanks for the detail and pics!

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Congradulations on your hunt; great photographs and story...

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a real real REAL hunt! Great report. Amazing pictures of true wilderness.

BTW is that stone structure an Indian burial chamber?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
That ATV would have looked great after humping that load out of the bottom, good job.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great Ram! Beautiful pictures, congratulations!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT report!!!
Thanks for sharing...such a refreshing story and great photos...CONGRATULATIONS!!! clap

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram..........Congratulations!

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done! A dream ram...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great country, great hunt, great ram!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, a 92 lb Ele and now a Desert Bighorn....it's all downhill from here :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report. Great pics. AIU

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bobby !
Great photos and report beer

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Wish I had the time and experience for a DIY like that.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dedication, determination and applied desire. Well done young man, nice ram.

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Thanks for the great report

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote