New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cock on Close Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I really like the way most of these actions function...why are they so rare? Safety?

Cock on opening adds a lot of stiffness to the initial bolt lift and cants the rifle when you are shooting fast...just don't like it...

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a topic not too long ago where a proponent of cock on closing spoke out and made many good arguments.

I don't like cock on closing at all on bolt rifles although it works very well on the 99 Savage. Perhaps it's that those bolt rifles have such a long heavy spring?

The pre 64 M 70 may cock 25% on closing. Try one of those. They are very easy to lift and cycle from the shoulder. That feature is a significant part of their appeal to me.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
My M96 is cock on closing. I've been in some fast shooting pig encounters and haven't felt disadvantaged at all.

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Cock on opening adds a lot of stiffness to the initial bolt lift and cants the rifle when you are shooting fast.

I don't buy that argument for one second. Up until just a few years ago, the dominant match rifles in NRA highpower were baed on the Remington 700 and Winchester Model 70. Those competition rifles retained the cock on opening mechanism of the standard actions, and shooters using them had (and still have) no problem getting ten well aimed shots off from sitting or prone in 60 or 70 seconds without taking the rifle off the shoulder to cycle the bolt.

Maybe your technique needs work.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Sabot, I own both and find the cock on opening much easier. My 1891 Mauser is a cock on closing and even though it is a very smooth action it just takes a little too much force to be really comfortable going down with the bolt handle to cock it.

Of course it may be because I grew up with cock on opening rifles and that's what I'm used too.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote