THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Largest game with the smallest caliber...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Largest game with the smallest caliber...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I usually just point at something with my finger and it drops.

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While on a caribou hunt in NWT in '94, my guide, an Inuit, showed me a video through the viewfinder on his camcorder of his 9 year old son shooting a large polar bear, which he told me measured 11 feet..There were two bears in the video, and they appeared to be exhausted and at bay...I suspect they had been run with snow machines...

The lad was using a .222, and dropped the bear like a rock with a shot to the base of the skull... My guide told me that they used .222s and .223s because they didn't ruin much meat...

Another fellow told me that he hunted polar bear and shot one with his .375 H&H...After his bear was dead, he discovered that his Inuit guide had been "backing him up" with a 22-250....

Posts: 119 | Location: Addison, NY | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beat this- big gray housecat with a popcorn seed from a 22 cal. pellet gun (Sheridan Blue Streak). My grandma beat my ass good for this. I was 10 years old. I SHOULD of posted this on the small game forum to get an "atta boy".

Posts: 73 | Location: North Central / Montana | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of eskimo36
posted Hide Post
I am not trying to start anything here but over the years we have all been privy to some amazingly, effective shots at game with small caliber guns. I am not advocating doing this but was just curious about other people's experiences.

Posts: 487 | Location: OK | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a small mule deer buck this year with a 223 WSSM. I handloaded Barnes Triple Shoks so I knew the bullet wouldn't come apart. Complete penetration through the rib cage at about 150 yards.

With the new better constructed bullets in .224" this year, hunting in those calibers will be easier; 70 gr TSX and 70 gr Scirocco.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY hope that we are looking for those desparation situations, not the guy who goes out on PURPOSE to hunt a cape buffalo with a .22short, just to see if it can be done.

THE MOST amazing kills of animals come from nonfirearm unconventional kills with something never considered a weapon.

Example,
Many years ago in one of the outdoor magazines was a report of an eskimo out fishing who discovered he was being stalked by a polar bear just as the attack was taking place. The man rammed both of his arms with the HUGE mittens down the bear's mouth and throat to keep it from biting him. The bear pulled back and shook his head throwing free the eskimo,
BUT
leaving the mittens lodged in the bear's throat.
The bear choked to death on the mittens.
Compared to something like that, anything with any caliber ... just isn't that big of a story.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've seen several Whitetails taken cleanly w/ 22LRs and 22-250s. I'm not saying they are good in any way but, they do work.

I heard about a man who took a Mulie Buck w/ a 22 short to the heart after he jumped the wounded buck. Turned out that the original rifle shot only broke the deer's lower leg and the 22 slug did him in.

I've seen elk that have been taken w/ a 25-06. A little too small if you asked me.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22lr on a large whitetale doe. 80yards to the throat, and she dropped at the shot.

Never tried it again.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My great granddad shot alot of deer with a .17 remington
notice i said shot.....who knows how many he wounded

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose killed with an air gun

Seriously! It happened in Anchorage, Alaska about a year ago. Moose browse in the backyards throughout the year, and this older fellow used a BB gun to shoot moose on the rump to keep them away from his garden. Well...this moose, maybe a year or two old, comes into his yard, and the man shoots it on the rib cage. The BB hits the lung (probably traveled between ribs), and the moose dies minutes later.

A good thing was that the old man had to answer in court for what he did. Having moose in the backyard is a very common occurrence in Alaska, so most people just let them eat whatever they want, even the plants in their gardens. No need to kill a moose over a cabbage or something like that.

Also, there was a Native lady who shot and killed a large grizzly with a .22LR. She shot it at a fairly close range, through the thinner bone at the base of the ear.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't beat an Elephant with a .22 but how about an American Buffalo (Bison) with a .22. Just a month ago I helped my brother-in-law kill three Buffalo. He raises them and sells the meat, hides, horns, skulls, etc. With his herd and another herd on a Federal reserve he worked on before retirement, he has accounted for some 600 killed. On the occasion when he wants to keep a skull and sell it he will kill the Buffalo with a .22 bacause he doesn't want to blow out the back of the cranium. He uses a 30-06 in the brain when he doesn't use the .22. On this occasion he took two with the 30-06 because he couldn't get that perfect head on 10 yard shot but the third he took with the .22. He hit the Bull right between the eyes and he hit the ground with his chin with the rest of his body following suit then he stuck him with a butcher knife for a quick bleeding. Yes he has had some get up even after hitting them with the 30-06 but he says you can count those on one hand out of the 600. The meat animals he butchers are normaly about 1100 to 1200 pounds on the hoof. Good shooting.

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine used a 22-250 with a partition to kill a mulie at 80 yards.

one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post

Quote:

Moose killed with an air gun

That's why I prefer marbles and wristrocket to keep 'em outta the hay shed

--Mike

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lion with a .22 hornet, shot from a truck a long time ago by a friend of the family. Shot behind the ear, it was a male too!
A PH is RSA told me he shot 3 kudu cows with .22 shots to the head when he saw them on the road (just after jumping his fence and about to leave the property...)

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a full grown rat with a dart from a blow gun a few years back. Does that count?

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote