Find
Notify
Tools

Coues Hunting Pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentalmen ,

This is a topic that I thought that needs talking about.At the begining of Jan I went to Mexico Chihuahua to hunt coues deer.This was a 5 day hunt, my first.I always thought of myself in fair shape. I lost 17 lbs for this hunt.Some people call this the poor mans sheep hunt.As an easterner we don't see the steep mountains or big hills like out west or south west.There are somethings I learned about Coues hunting real fast , not easy .
You spot a deer than you have to get close enough to see if he big enough to shoot. If you a good long range shooter that it gets a little easyer.It may take you all day to spot a good deer ,this means that you are climbing up and down sometimes all day . This is the cardio part that you need.You are carring a pack and rifle.Yes sometimes it is very easy, see it shoot it and done . Most of the time you will stalk maybe for hours and the deer vanishes, thats why the call Coues deer the Gray Ghost .

For the hunters that do this kind of hunt year in and year out my hats off to you. I shot a 10 inch bill in BC and it was easyer that Coues hunting. So all you people that think you are a good hunter and in good shape try Coues hunting this will test all you have in and out.

I finaly shot my Coues on the forth day It is 94 3/8 ths . I had missed a smoking non typical the day before.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
And they were Jack O'Connor's favorite game animal, for a reason. Congratulations on the successful hunt and look forward to your pictures!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Quite a bit different than sitting in a treestand, eh? Wink

Congrats on a nice buck. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I've only been drawn three times for Coues whitetail in the 8 years I've put in since I got to AZ. I got one shot in those three hunts and I missed at about 400yds. My buddy got his deer 30 minutes later at 30 yards - just my luck. I am still without my 1st Coues deer and yet it is my favorite hunt. It wears me out getting up to a ridge to glass but the easier a hunt is, the less it means.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It sure is a fun hunt. I did my first one in December and rebooked immediately. Congrats on gettign a good one!

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]my coues pictures[/URL][IMG:top] [/IMG]

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you earned your buck, a dandy he is too!

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote