THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What cartridge for my new BLR takedown?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cartridge for my new BLR takedown?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
Guys browning is now making the BLR in a takedown!

I have a 270, a 308, and 2 376 steyrs.

I reload but don't know whether I want a new caliber in the mix.

What shoudl I get?

300 Win Mag?

300 Win Short Mag?

308 Win?

325 WSM?

358 Win?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you have a .270 and a .308?

split the difference and make a .280 or 7x57 (.275 rigby)

or, perhaps, step down to a dedicated deer/antelope rifle and make a .264/06. if you're headed to montana, you're going to need one when you stomp around the central and eastern thirds of the state. Wink

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that you have a real "hole" to fill, pretty much got it all covered. But if you WANT a new toy.... I'd go with the 325WSM. Good fit with your exsisting arsenal! Smiler

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of think a .358 Win would be a nice cartridge in a takedown BLR. I don't know but the WSM cartridges just don't float my boat. The .300 Win Mag would be my second choice.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am leanin to sumptin in 30 caliber. But the 325 WSM is the perfect al aound NA caliber...but then I gotta by 8mm bulletts...ugh...

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
In light of all the other recent posts.... Doesn't it HAVE to be in .308 Win. ??????

Smiler

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yeah...maybe...so what's your point Kyler... Razzer

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
325 WSM all the way!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I'd pick the 325 WSM. BUT, I was just thinking the new 338 Federal might make a great cart for the BLR.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I know but they don't make it in 338...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd purchase 3 in 25-06.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
358 Win

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Mike,
You need a 260 just to get sumpin at the bottom end.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08.
the 358 is gonna leave you cold since you already own the 376 steyr.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Win Short Mag is a very good round. More velocity than the 308, and a lot less recoil than the 300 Win Mag. I've shot all of theses rounds, and like the 300 short mag the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get one of the short-action cartridges for sure; the long action BLR doesn't do anything for me. I used to own a .308 and liked it well, but I'd probably go with either the .300 WSM, .325 WSM or the .358 Winchester. The .300 WSM will probably be the most convenient of the three in terms of ammo availability, but the .358 BLR seems to have very strong resale value, for whatever reason. If you want to shoot big animals regularly, the .325 is an obvious choice.

Smiler

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Canuck,

I know but they don't make it in 338...

If they would make it I would say the .35 Whelen. But of the ones you mentioned I would go for the .325 WSM

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358!!!!!!!!
It suffers from all the woes, too short to hold a lot of poder so not a magnum
doesnt have a belted case
doesnt have a press agent touting its glory
doesnt have a fancy name
doesnt have sleek speedy lines
doesnt have the name MAGNUM anywher associated with it.

what it does have is the ability to kill anything in North America with aplomb and great ease. It will drive a 250gr speer SP widthwise through just about anything you want to shoot. It will drive a 250gr speer lengthwise through most of the game you would shoot.
I have killed I have no idea how much game with one and have never recoverd a bullet and never had an animal go more than 40 feet.
I shot a buck I jumped as it cleared a blowdown. It was a snap shot that entered the right rear leg breaking the the heavy thigh bone. It proceeded through the stomach and intestines and kept going. It clipped part of the heart and a lung and kept going. It hit a rib squarely and kept going. It blew part of the rib out through the exit hole and for all I know it could still be going.

they are not fancy.
you willnot kill the running elephant at 1000 yards with it. But anything under 300 yards that walks in this hemisphere is going to be very impressed by it. thumb

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
Just my $0.02 but what about 7mm WSM?

I've had a Win 70 Super Shadow in 7mm WSM now for two years. It's light to carry, accurate, and as flat shooting and hard hitting at the 7 Rem Mag. I was looking over the BLR Takedown at the NRA Annual Meeting and I may have to pick up one in 7mm WSM myself before deer season!

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a snap shot that entered the right rear leg breaking the the heavy thigh bone. It proceeded through the stomach and intestines and kept going. It clipped part of the heart and a lung and kept going. It hit a rib squarely and kept going. It blew part of the rib out through the exit hole and for all I know it could still be going.

WHEW!
i'll bet that was fun to clean...

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Lawcop which rifle is your 358 winchester in?

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Bet there'll be a Euro version in 9.3x62.

Say a 'battue' style with the hogsback Euro stock, satin nickel reciever with lots of engraving and gold inlay.

Der Scheutzenpimp. dancing

If a guy really wanted to be cool then that's the one to get.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id like to see a saT/D BLR in this short376s:
Enough bore and case difference from .358win to make a difference, but still not too much for the little gun.. maybe around 21.5" instead of 20" tube.
Lets forget about high velocity and Sec.density for a while how bout we just throw some fat pumpkin .375-250Aframe@2500 and see how they smash,,,,....

Just havin some fun!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short Action? Hell yes!

308 Winchester? Hell yes!

BLR's and short actions good, long actons, not so good, got several, and a TD in 308 is in my future.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Before I even read one response, my first thoughts were one of these 2:

either 308 or the 300 WSM. That's it.

I'd take either in a heart beat. Is there really any motivation for anything else? Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have anolder (1976) model BLR in 358 and find it extremely useful. Perfect little brother to the 376. Recoil is moderate and just about any bullet will work in it to satisfaction.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
I want one in 358!

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
375 winchester AI?
25 Souper?
338/444?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
Before I even read one response, my first thoughts were one of these 2:

either 308 or the 300 WSM. That's it.

I'd take either in a heart beat. Is there really any motivation for anything else? Big Grin

Although I suggested the 300 WSM in my earlier post, I could live comfortably with a 308 also. It be a FINE round.. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had a trigger job done on one of these (BLR’s)? I have one of the older ones in .243. I like the gun a lot, but the trigger has about 1/8 travel in it, and is about 5-6 lbs.

Buck,

Posts: 109 | Location: MS | Registered: 25 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they made it in 338 win mag you would only need one caliber for everything.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
325 WSM

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck3:
Has anyone had a trigger job done on one of these (BLR’s)? I have one of the older ones in .243. I like the gun a lot, but the trigger has about 1/8 travel in it, and is about 5-6 lbs.

Buck,

Buck3, check with a fellow who posts here as 'Westpac' he can do it!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
458 winchester mag. Oh wait, they don't make that one... Sounds like a good gunsmithing project...

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote