Find
Notify
Tools

Deer attractants / food plots
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
anybody know what the formula is that Imperial Clover mix uses? I just can't believe that 4 pounds of seed cost $25.
I understand that the price needs to be a little higher to justify the special packaging and make a profit, but c'mon, the most expensive clover seed I can find is still under $2 a pound. How special can it be?

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I am going through the same quandry here, in Texas I got a lot of land to cover with this expensive seed! I am going to "cut" mine with milo to bring the cost down 30-40%.

I too would appreciate some insight into the reasoning for the high cost. I will suspect that the more expensive "genetically altered" feed will have higher protein as the pay off.

On a small food plot, will anyone notice a difference?

How big should the plot be in order to really realize a gain in antler growth?

This is my first year to try it. I'll keep you posted.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is very little reason for the high cost. I don't believe that scientists somewhere in a hidden laboratory scientificaly re-engineered the clover seed to make it worth 100 times more. Some types of clover are more rich in nutrients however. Off the top of my head, I can remember that Bio-Logic is a mix of something like:

red clover
rape
some other type of clover
imperial clover
another clover

You can find all of this stuff at your Farm supply store for cheap. That's what I suggest if you're going to give this a try. The big thing to consider is that once you establish a food plot in an area that does not have an abundance of nutrition, animals are going to come for miles to use it, will continue to use it, and become somewhat dependant on the food plot. It may become a major long-term commitment.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to use 80%alsack and 20 % red clover.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote