Find
Notify
Tools

minnesota wolf hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
over 23000 applications for 6000 licenses - 400 wolf kill limit

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and They'll be lucky to kill 40

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:

With the wolf season concurrent with the deer season, when every Minnesotan and their grandmother is in the woods, I'm willing to bet a thirty pack of Grain Belts that they shoot well over 40 wolves.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So true.....they need to allow hounds and baiting if they really want to kill anywhere near that 400 target.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from a bear hunt north of Duluth. The wolves were everywhere. Me and several other hunters saw them from the stand. I'm curious to see how the hunt goes.

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Arkansas | Registered: 18 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by edholum:
quote:

With the wolf season concurrent with the deer season, when every Minnesotan and their grandmother is in the woods, I'm willing to bet a thirty pack of Grain Belts that they shoot well over 40 wolves.

I guess if they going to shoot them illegly not all those deer hunters are going to have a tag.

Same problem in Wis 600000 hunters 2000 permits every hunter whos has a permit will not see a wolf.

Not all permit holders well be good hunters, or trapper and a stuip judge put a stop on using hounds in Wi.

I live in prime wolf country and depending on the year see 5 to 20 wolfs.

This year I have seen 6 most crossing the a road,the lastest one Friday evening sitting on a bear bait with a freind.

If I draw a tag the traps are coming off the wall boiled and set.

You can bet every wolf taken the kill will be investagated to the max to make sure it was taken legally. Not group hunted ect.

Posts: 19597 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several valid points already mentioned regarding things that may limit the number of wolves taken. They may be seen fairly frequently right now. Just wait til the shooting starts. Those wolves will make themselves scarce real quick.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
First off I'm not implying or condoning that people shoot wolves illegally with out a tag this year or party hunt, shoot a wolf because they know that Joe Shmoe has a tag and is in a tree 300 yards away. Although, I'm not ignorant enough to not realize that people have been gut shooting wolves for years and party hunting will probably occur this year.

What I hope will happen is similar to what has occurred with the SD mountain lion hunt. 74 lions were shot in just over a month with out the help of hounds or bait, but mainly due to the fact that hunters focused on the lions. A lot of people had success calling lions in (mainly because they were starving), I've never tried calling wolves but my assumption (may be wrong) is that they will be more aggressive if you are calling on their turf than a lion would be. Now lets say that 25% of hunters who draw tags (1500) hit the woods actively hunting wolves because they are excited they drew a tag and have always wanted to hunt a wolf or have a reason to finally put out the traps, to shoot/trap 40 wolves only 2.7% of those 1500 hunters need to kill a wolf. Now throw in all those hunters who just have a wolf tag in their pocket while deer hunting, it seems 40 wolves will be easily surpassed.

But I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that they are giving out 3600 permits to take a wolf in the early season that runs concurrent with the rifle deer season. The other 2400 permits are for the late season that runs during muzzleloader season and trapping seasons.

My 2 cents...

While I think they will luck into 40 kills this first season since MN wolves have not been legally hunted for a long time they are dreaming if they think they can get to 400 with this type of a hunt structure.
Wolves are very smart animals and they will learn quick that they are being hunted. Combine that with the fact that most of the guys who draw permits are going to be weekend warriors who are deer hunting with a wolf permit in their pack in case they see one and there is no way they will kill 400 legally.

I think the DNR is just trying to get the first wolf season in the books amid the "stop the DNR wolf torture" billboards that are all over the cities right now.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The way Minnesota and Wisconsin is going about the wolf hunt is a joke. This is not out west. We cannot glass the wide open and spot wolves and stalk. Other than baiting there really is no way effective way to hunt wolves in the woods. Even baiting is not very effective with the here today gone tomorrow nature of wolves.They are going to be a target of opportunity. As such if they are really serious about reducing wolf numbers they should sell unlimited licenses over the counter. Require kills to be reported and shut down when the quota is reached. Seems pretty simple to me.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As such if they are really serious about reducing wolf numbers they should sell unlimited licenses over the counter. Require kills to be reported and shut down when the quota is reached. Seems pretty simple to me.

Thats the way it should be.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
A handful of good trappers are capable of equalling the wolf take of several hundred deer hunters. Traps work 24/7 and properly placed there is an opportunity for catching a double with pack animals like wolves. Fur prices for wolves are pretty good this year and should provide the extra incentive. I am just curious why the first season is closed to the most effective method of harvest.

I'm sure the hounds would have made a good dent in reaching the season limit - maybe next year. I suspect baiting for wolves will be about as successful as it is for coyotes, which is not very unless you are taking trailcam pics. Calling is much more likely to produce results. Deer hunters will get their share largely because the more time in the woods the more likely to see one. I do think that a wolf pack in an established territory is more likely to simply go nocturnal than be displaced by daytime gunshots.

It's just a shame that many of those taking a wolf won't have a clue on properly handling the pelt for personal use or for selling.

Good luck if you've got a tag - I'd be all over it if it were closer.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smart money is on the trappers. The problems are that the consistent trappers aren't guaranteed a tag and even if they get a tag they are limited to one. I know of trappers here in WI and the UP who are simply tired of trying for coyotes because wolves are clogging their traps.

Wait until next year when those lucky deer hunters who have tags are touting themselves as professional big time DG hunters.

Like Mike said, this is a joke. Don't try to make sense of anything the WI DNR does, it will only make your head hurt.

Posts: 488 | Location: WI | Registered: 31 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I put in for an early season tag,
highly unlikely Ill get a tag,and even unlikelier that If I draw a tag,that I will see one.
I have deer hunted ever year since 1975,only saw wolves once,not while I was hunting,not since 1987 at all.

See lots of tracks. Roll Eyes

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know of trappers here in WI and the UP who are simply tired of trying for coyotes because wolves are clogging their traps.

Very true I know a couple that catch them on a regular basics in their fox and yote sets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Road kill and Rat Poison.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote