THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Mountain Lion Road killed.... In Connecticut?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lion Road killed.... In Connecticut?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for further info

But aparrently This particular cat prambulated himself from North Dakota through Minnesota and across the Lakes states and finally forgot how to cross the street safely somewhere in the Nutmeg state...

Anyone hear anything aobut it?

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
Looking for further info

But aparrently This particular cat prambulated himself from North Dakota through Minnesota and across the Lakes states and finally forgot how to cross the street safely somewhere in the Nutmeg state...

Anyone hear anything aobut it?

AD

No, but if it's so he probably had better luck with the white-tails than I did when we lived there...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know they can travel .One was tagged in ND but killed by a train 700 miles away. But CT ? I think someone may have captured it and brought it east. Is there any comment on how old the cat was when tagged ?
BTW you are aware ,i hope , that cats don't exist in NY and PA !!! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?Q=483778&A=4013

From the Connecticut article. South Dakota to CT, verified via DNA.

Elmer Keith. Enough said.

Posts: 40 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 06 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 to 5 year old male going 1,500 miles 'looking for a female ?' cuckoo By train ? does the TSA permit that ? rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
2 to 5 year old male going 1,500 miles 'looking for a female ?' cuckoo By train ? does the TSA permit that ? rotflmo

I know a couple of guys who travel way farther than this in the pursuit of "la femme".

There is a somewhat vulgar Spanish proverb which says that one pu**y hair pulls harder than a hundred horses.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen more wildlife on that road (Merritt Parkway) than I've seen in the woods my entire life. It's more of a game preserve than an expressway.

This is the first I'm hearing of the migration from ND, but it was all over the news when it was struck. There have been several more reported "sightings" throughout CT the last month or so.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, DNA testing linked the cat to South Dakota.
article
Our core population of mountain lions have had many documented dispersing. 300 miles north into Saskatchewan, 300-2000 miles east, 600 miles south to Oklahoma.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
My family is all in Indiana. My nephew sent me a game cam pic taken in Southern IN of a mountain lion dragging a deer. I went on the IN DNR website and they have quite a few pics posted of mt lions they have caught on game cams. I guess they must be expanding their range.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cats can travel... several years ago Outdoor life ran an article about an AZ lion hunter's dogs baying a Mexican jaguar. There was a story on the 'net called "Eyes of Fire" if memory serves.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always said, 'You never see a fat Tomcat!'
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live about 300 yds from 'Panther Brook' in PA apparently none seen here for 100 years .I guess they'll return.
One of the articles said they have trouble crossing rivers .Deer and bear certainly don't .Anybody have info on rivers and cats ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Cats can travel... several years ago Outdoor life ran an article about an AZ lion hunter's dogs baying a Mexican jaguar. There was a story on the 'net called "Eyes of Fire" if memory serves.

Jaguars are native to Arizona, New mexico and Texas. Look at the Boone and Crockett record book and you will find entries from those states back in the early 1900s up to about the 1940's. They pretty much shot them out, but didn't get them all.

The one they found in Arizona was believed to be a native born cat and not one that wandered up from Mexico. They're rare in the states, but not extinct.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting on the Jaguars. I know there was a cougar tagged down near the Wind Cave Park In the SD Black Hills a few years ago as a kitten and a coule years later it was killed way over where I hunt on the west side of the BigHorn Mountains in Wyoming, a good 200+ miles from where it was tagged. I thought that was a good distance until reading about this one!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well thats the word the DNR of sevral states are puttting out all their cats are coming from the Black hills as their states can not no possible way have a cat population on there own.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the articles said they have trouble crossing rivers .Deer and bear certainly don't .Anybody have info on rivers and cats ?

Mete, When hunting Mountain Lion in the Frank Church Wilderness in March, we pushed 2 different cats to the edge of the Salmon River..they promptly jumped in and swam to the other side. The river is 200' wide with plenty of whitewater.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ! There seems to be a myth ,often repeated, that cats are afraid of water. Tigers certainly are not as I've seen too many videos of tigers hunting deer in the marshes of India.And there was afascinating video of a cat [jaguar or puma] that was catching fish !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Thanks ! There seems to be a myth ,often repeated, that cats are afraid of water. Tigers certainly are not as I've seen too many videos of tigers hunting deer in the marshes of India.And there was afascinating video of a cat [jaguar or puma] that was catching fish !!

As for Cats & Water
I recall several years ago being shown a video of a Tiger (in India?) who was munching on his lunch (some sort of Deer) when a crocodile tried to "mooch", the tiger took offense and had little problem (and much apparrent enjoyment) tearing the annoying Croc into what the cat considered less annoying pieces

I also know that Jaguars have little objection to getting wet. I recall a still picture in National Geographic of a Jaguar asleep in water with little more than his Eyes, ears and nose out of the water.

As for cougars here in the eastern states...
I've never seen a Cougar in pennsylvania, however I have friends who I believe have seen them.
I have personally seen what appeared to be a cougar kill and tracks.
Of the animals that could have made tracks that size, only the Cougar has retractable claws....

the fact that they haven't been seen is negative evidence and therefore proof of nothing.

THE thing I point out about Cougar is that they are CATS, cats are experts at not being seen if they so desire...

Until you've had an indoor/outdoor cat disappear without going more than four feet from your lap you cannot understand how good cats can be at that kind of game... (one of their favorites)

Whenever I hear (or read) some armchair expert saying "someone would have seen them" I know one thing for certain... that that "expert" has never been housemates with a cat.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote