THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What if? you were only allowed one caliber

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if? you were only allowed one caliber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What if you were only allowed to use one centerfire caliber and it was a .243 Winchester with all other calibers being banned?

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would probably die the first time you ran into a pissed off Grizzly

one of us
posted Hide Post
The man who shot the world record grizzly of Lonesome Lake, BC with a 30-30 lived for many years to tell his story!

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
IT WOULD BE A SAD DAY INDEED.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would hope it had a barrel short enough to fit in my mouth with my right big toe on the trigger! [Mad]

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzlies have also been killed with 9mm pistols, but I wouldn�t suggest it. :-)

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I'd load it with X bullets and pck my shots carefully...Or move to where they had more cartridges available.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
I'd move as quickly as I could to a more gun friendly place.
Andy

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
There would be alot of different bullet options for 6mm and we'd be all better shots. [Smile] I think we would kill almost as much, wound less, and be more picky about shot angles and distances.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
You'd be living in Australia in about 10 years from now [Wink]

Bakes

Posts: 8051 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Wouldn't bother me in the least as a 243 will kill anything on the planet,not ideally but it will get the job done with proper bullets and proper placement.
being theres no bears other than black bears here in my area I wouldn't fell handicapped with 243.
Most are very accurate and easy to shoot.I've killed lots of game with one when I was a kid and everything I killed then is still dead.

[ 09-30-2003, 15:03: Message edited by: rws2 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shortshot:
What if you were only allowed to use one centerfire caliber and it was a .243 Winchester with all other calibers being banned?

It would mean the DEMOCRATS had enacted 99% of their (imcorrectly worded) version of Gun Control.

[ 09-30-2003, 16:09: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why couldn't it have been a .375 H&H [Frown]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only caliber I hate more than the 7.62x39 is the 243, and now I'm stuck with one.

Oh well, Barnes TSX and perfect bullet placement will keep me hunting.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would buy .243 brass and neck up to .260 or .284 and I doubt that most of those idiot gun grabbers would notice the difference.

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd gather up all the .243 ammo I could find, and hunt down the stupid people that messed with the Constitution and persuade them to reconsider their ill conceived legislation.

Have a nice day! [Smile]

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the young Inuits in a caribou camp in Canada I was at purportedly shot a polar bear with a .223 (one shot to the heart).

I asked him how long he had to hide and all he did was smile.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

If I lived in a country there one rifle was the law, I would have filed for political assylum in gun friendly country [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm surprised thast there are anti-gun people among all political fractions. How about thoose untoucheable rights that the liberals are ranting about, refering to Hobbes, Nozick, Locke. They must apply to guns too?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
"That would be great! The .243 Winchester is our favorite BigBore!!"

Tom Thumb, Mickey Rooney, Tiny Tim, Arnold Stang,
Paul Reuben, Joe Pesce, Truman Capote, "Tattoo",
Mahattma Ghandi, Sammy Davis Jr. and Joel Gray.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is actually practicaly the case in East Sussex constabulary.

Seeing as the deer are roe and fallow and there are no dangerous game it makes no difference other than to piss off gun nuts.

I would rather this than a limitation on seasons, tags, gamewardens, lotteries, hunter orange etc etc.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's why we're here & the rest of the world is there. Maybe I'ld move to NewZealand? [Confused]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'd do just fine! But if you wanted to go to a more gun friendly country, where in hell would it be?

NOW, it would make me mad as hell, if the law told me I couldn't own but one gun, but if we don't get off our duffs, this will become reality!ONLY, I doubt it will be a 243 left for us, that is too deadly, it would more likely be something like a singleshot 12 ga shotgun,for a while, then nothing! [Mad]

The smell of the dirty grabbers should be an awakening odor! Ask those who live in Aussie land!

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used a 30-06 all most my hole life swiched to a 243 kills just as good as the 30-06. I still have my 243 but went to a 300WSM dead is dead no matter how you look at it. But would not have any problem hunting any thaing where i live with a 243 i would take it black bear hunting in a min.
hart+ lungs=dead

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
I'd file off the front sight so it didn't hurt so bad when the bear shoved it up my a**!

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3Oott6 sorry if your that bad of a shot. the gamewardens catch pochers a round here kill bears with 22mags. By the way my 243 did not come with sights and it stays oiled at all times. If i was going black bear hunting 243 would not be my gun of choice but if thats all i had it would bother me hell pepople kill them all the time with a bow.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 30ott6
posted Hide Post
Shortmag- Come on over to Grizzly country!

Posts: 1143 | Location: Cody, WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SO! It's not what you shoot but how you shoot it! And the problem is? [Cool]

[ 10-06-2003, 03:40: Message edited by: kudu56 ]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30ott6
Your miss under standing me i said a 243 would be good for what i hunt in W.V. not W.Y. all we got far as big game a round here are deer,turkey,bear, and most of the bears only avrage 150Lbs to 250Lbs. if i was hunting grizzlys i might thaink diffrent. A 243 a round here would not be the gun of my choice to black bear hunt with but it would get the job done. I bet thay have been a grizzly or two killed with a 243 but i would not try it. [Wink]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
We would rally all of the 243 owners together that we possibly could and persuade the Nazi bastards who placed it to lift their stupid ban, and then give our wives and daughters back their 243's.

Now, what if your aunt had gonads? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10169 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
243 Winchester is not a caliber.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Elias>
posted
Why .243 ??? I would take my 30-06,if I were to chose only one cal for a multirifle.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I'd neck it up to .308.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Why couldn't it have been a .375 H&H [Frown]

AMEN, and AMEN, and AMEN

Just the way I see it,,,,, [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 79 | Location: Colorado (out in the sticks) | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmo:
I'd gather up all the .243 ammo I could find, and hunt down the stupid people that messed with the Constitution and persuade them to reconsider their ill conceived legislation.

Have a nice day! [Smile]

Elmo

Well Put !

45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well put, my a$$.
You really think the big boyz would be looking back at you with a bunch of .243 Winchesters?
This is no game, and it ain't about shooting a couple of people.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote