Find
Notify
Tools

I Want to go Elk Hunting!
 Login/Join

<Hicks>
posted
Flatlander here!
I want to set up an elk hunt for next fall.
I am an avid deer hunter (in Michigan), but I have never been elk hunting.

Where should I go elk hunting? What state, what outfitter?

Do you recommend a guide.... fully guided/semi guided.

How much should I expect to pay?

Please help me out here if you have information.
Thanks,
Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's almost like asking "how long is a piece of string". What sort of hunt do you want??? Horse back with every whim indulged? One on one guide service? Drop camp? will you be part of a party? Very few outfitters will drop camp a solo. A drop camp hunt can range from packing your group and YOUR supplies and gear into the rough and remote to providing everything except your gun and a change of drawers. Drop camps do not include guides but may include some helpful pointers from the outfitter. Needless to say, it is all priced accordingly. Most state DNR offices can provide you with a list of liscensed outfitter/guides in their state. Contact them and check prices and EXACTLY what you can expect for your bucks. Price wise, I would pick a guy kinda in the middle of the pack. Avoid like the plague, guys that promise the moon and low-ball the other outfitters. Avoid any outfitter that guarentees you an elk.
Yes, you can go to where ever on a self hunt. (there are certain exceptions, like wilderness areas where you must have a guide) But you would have to be very lucky to be a first timer and connect with an elk.
Most of it is research, a lot of phone calls, a lot of questions and common sense. One last thing, start now getting into shape.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
HICKS,
Montana, Wyoming and Colorado will give the best chance for a tag. I personally donot know the names of outfitter, but there is a outfit that I've heard some good things about. United States Outfitters, or USO for short. I've seen their adds in several of the hunting mags. A fellow hunter told me that they screen the guides very carefully. I've never used them myself. Good luck, Keep us posted.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't eat a Colorado or Wyoming elk. Their herds have Chronic Wasting Disease, closely related to mad cow.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daddy2B8162>
posted
Hicks, will you be hunting rifle, bow, muzzel loader???? If you are going on a rifle hunt, Montana and Idaho have some great hunting. Arizona is another state that has some great bulls, but getting a rifle non res tag is hard. But a non res bow tag is not so hard. The Wyoming and Colorado herds have been found with the Cronic waste but has been for the most part found in the heards closer to the flat land not the mountain heards. I live in South Dakota, and my preferance is Montana to the north west part of the state. As for outfitters, go to the Montana fish and game web site, also, do you have any sport shows that come into your home town???? The shows can be a good source for shopping and talking to the outfitters personally. Good luck and have fun!!!!!!! Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
www.saddlemountainoutfitters.ca

excellent guides and fair prices. The man knows his stuff

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Hicks,

You can get a basic idea of what to expect by checking the Associated Hunting Consultants web site: http://www.hunts.net and clicking on the Elk link. You can call Rich LaRocco for details on any hunt you like the sound of. I used to work with Rich , and he ia a solid guy.

You don't want to go on a hunt by yourself until you learn the West and how to hunt elk in the West.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Hicks>
posted
I am planning on doing a gun hunt. I shoot bow, but I think I would have a better chance of getting something with a gun.

I would like to do a horse/pack type trip. Most likely a two person / guide setup. We have three, maybe four in the group.

I'll check the above sites out.

Thanks

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Denton

You are a little misinformed about the Chronic Wasting in Colorado and Wyoming. While it is true that the sickness is here, most of it is contained in the ranches that raise these animals commercially. The area with the highest incidence is in the northeast part of Colorado and southeast Wyoming and there are very few elk in that area.

Also the herds carry less that 10% infection rate. You also should know that there has never been a single case of a human getting the virus from meat since it is only found in nerve tissue such as spinal column and brain tissue.

To make a blanket statement like your's is irresponsible. Kind of like the statement Oprah made about the beef in Texas a few years ago.

Oh, and by the way Chronic Wasting also exists in Nebraska, Kansas, and UTAH!!

Mac

------------------
When hunting and fishing get in the way of your job, it is time to quit the job!

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chronic Wasting Disease is present in almost all areas of the U.S. and Canada. It supposidly came from the area of Wyo./Colo. border but that is a moot point. It has also shown up in both mule deer and Whitetail deer in Sask. Here several private herds are infected,both elk and deer. There is no evidence that this disease can be transferred to humans. I have been involved in the study of this for several years. To date more than 1000 animals have been or are about to be killed for testing,both wild and tame. I would not be afraid to eat elk or deer meat and anyone who would suggest it to be dangerous watches too much T.V. Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 358Mark:
Chronic Wasting Disease is present in almost all areas of the U.S. and Canada.

I believe that is incorrect. Do you have any reference?

To make blanket statements that suggest that there is no danger at all from infected carcasses seems to be to be fully as irresponsible as saying that merely being in the same area with infected animals is dangerous.

We know precious little about prions and prion diseases except that there is no way to sterilize infected tissue, no way to destroy prions, and there is no cure or even treatment. Kuru, CWD, Mad Cow Disease, scrapie, and Kreutzfeldt-Jacobs seem to be the same thing.

For some straight information:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/HunterEducation/chronic.asp

<10point>
posted
Oh hell, is thats whats arong with my memory ? Well I guess it was worth it................10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct, I was too broad in my statement.I should have said Western U.S and Can.We have tissue samples from both elk and mule deer from several western states and Alta/Sask. which testsd positive. In wild animal testing far less than 1/10 of 1% has been the norm.Some commercial herds have been 2%. You should realize that it is not in the best intrest of anyone to publicize results of incomplete results.
There has been no evidence to show that cwd can be or has been transferred to humans or to commercial cattle. It is no more dangerous to eat venison than beef or pork. Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
Wouldn't eat a Colorado or Wyoming elk. Their herds have Chronic Wasting Disease, closely related to mad cow.

Yes, stay away from Colorado. All the deer and elk are infected with CWD. Go to Utah, the elk and deer are bigger there anyway.

An elk hunt here is at best difficult and at worst one of the most frustrating endeavors you can engage in. Elk hunting success can be extremely affected by weather. Last year for example it was very warm in Colorado and while many elk were taken, many many hunters went home empty handed. Even the folks who've been hunting the same spot for the past 10 years found it very difficult to score.

I always suggest to folks that want to get into hunting elk in Colorado that they start out going after cows. This way you're pretty likely to go home with 200lbs of elk meat and you'll get to know a given area pretty well. You can hunt elk without a guide and be successful but not knowing an area all that well more often than not means that you're not going to see many bulls, and maybe no elk at all. Elk migrate and they are in different areas at different times of the season and that all depends on what the weather is doing. If there's snow you can see huge herds. If it's warm and sunny, you might not see more than an occasional doe.

Good luck.
re5513

one of us
posted Hide Post
One word of caution!! Elk hunting is additive! Once you get the bug you will be hooked for life!!!

mtelkhunter

Posts: 597 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote