Find
Notify
Tools

Thwack!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Well, it's been an interesting two months--moved, started a new job...and mama said, "there'll be days..."

Anyway, I managed to hunt both the Nebraska and Wisconsin seasons, and did pretty well (if life ever calms down, I'll try to learn how to post some pics).

One of the deer I shot this year gave me the classic "thwack" when the bullet struck. It was a 30-30 170 grainer at about 140 yards.

I missed the first three shots (that's right, 3--it was probably too dark to shoot with a peep sight), but the deer just stood there in the lane, and #4 was it's demise.

In the 30 or so deer I've shot, I don't ever recall hearing the thwack. Normally, I shoot a .270, and shots are less than 200 yards. Why wouldn't I hear a thwack with the 270? Too much muzzle blast too close in time to bullet impact?

That 30-30 (a Speer 170 @ about 2150) did a number on that doe, though--it dropped in its tracks and didn't live long.

Anyway, just rambling...hope you're all doing well.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always listen for and usually hear a hit from any rifle I'm shooting. The only times I haven't heard that Whuup! is when shooting cast bullets.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
It depends on the terrain and the cover around. When I'm out West in wide open areas, I usually always hear the "thwack," but here at home in the dense timber, I never hear it.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i hunt in such tight spaces that the bullet is usually still in the barrel when it strikes the deer. Wink

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have really only heard the sound of impact when hunting in Africa and then mostly on longer shots. I mean a hundred yards or so. I've been curious myself why I only hear some of them. I'm beginning to believe it has something to do with muzzle blast and time lag till impact. Maybe your ears shut down partially when you hear the large muzzle blast and the recovery time is what makes the difference. It's a most interesting question that I would like to hear an answer to. Maybe there are some ear doctors on the forum who could answer the question.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Chances are, your ears haven't recovered from the blast of the 270 by the time the "kugelslag" comes back. The 30-30 is far easier on the ears. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'd say I'm at 50/50.

Depending on terrain, shot distance, etc., I sometimes here the bullet impact, sometimes not. As mentioned above, out west, with shots ~ 150 yards or more, I definitely hear the impact.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot rifles from .17 caliber to 45 caliber. It has been my experience that hearing bullet impact is a function of velocity, distance and mass of the bullet. I can’t recall hearing the bullet impact on small caliber rounds. On say 7mm and up at ranges of 100 yds and over I almost always hear the bullet impact on game. In fact due to recoil, it is one of the best ways to immediately know whether I made a good shot. I recently had the opportunity to zero three different rifles at 300 yds. One a 270/140 gr combo, a 300 win mag/168 gr triple shock combo and a 338 rem ultra-mag/225 gr partition combo. At 300 yds the impact on paper could be heard. With my 45-70 and 400 grainers at 1800 fps I always hear the impact on both paper and game at 100 yds plus.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I shot a buck on Saturday with a .243 at about 45 yards and heard the thwack

Then in October I shot a Red Stag twice and heard the wop both times at about 130 yards with a mzlbreaked .338

I've shot at some animals where I was so close that you couldn't hear it though, like within 15 yards

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear it a lot on p dogs not so much on big game. But then p dogs tend to me out there a ways.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They usually have to be a little ways away, the muzzle blast drowns it out. It is more noticeable to me when you step up to a 9.3x62 or .375 H&H, sounds like hitting a sack of feed with a scoop shovel.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear electronic ear protection and hear bullet strike about 50% of the time. Longer range is definately more likely.

The sound is different depending where you hit. Not infallible but a good indication which can be used with other information such as reaction to the bullet strike to indicate what has happened.

Thwack - chest

Hollow thud - generaly too far back - when accompanied by the deer hunching and walking off you just know you gut shot it.

Crack - can be an echo from the supersonic bullet but can also indicate that you hit bone only. If the deer limps off it's allmost certain you hit a leg.

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
It is definitely a velocity / distance thing, with bullet mass contributing also.

I would say with a HV round like a 270win, you have no chance of hearing the impact if the distance of the shot is much less than 130-140m. I believe that your ears have not recovered from the muzzle blast before the sound of the impact gets back to you. I have shot a few deer at 180-230 yards with the 270 and the sound of the bullet impact is very clear - my buddy will say "you slammed the door on that one". On a 250 yard shot, there is about a 1 second lag from the bullet leaving the barrel until the sound of the impact gets back to you.

I do a fair bit of night shooting of Foxes with a .222rem. I can almost always hear the impact of a 50gr bullet at distances over 100m.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i hunt in such tight spaces that the bullet is usually still in the barrel when it strikes the deer. Wink

HA HA HA

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
I'm actually surprised at how long it takes to hear the thud from my 308 at 300m on a target.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've heard that sound when I've shot game with a rifle but this year I was totally surprised when I connected with my first arrow on an Elk. The bull was only 15 yards away and the woods were so quiet you could've heard a pin drop. The sound of that arrow hitting the Elk was loud and something I wasn't expecting.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I do think it is in the timing of the sound, and the type of impact, i.e., where in the body the animal takes the hit. After all the muzzle blast, the sonic boom and the impact are all competing for your attention when sound is for the most part deadened out by the nervous system anyway!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I hear the impact on jack rabbits with a 17 HMR. So it's not dependant on being large heavy bullet.

Location of hit, chest and guts impacts make a lot more noise than a neck shot. where the animal is at in relation to canyons, heavy timber, distance etc will affect how well you hear the impact.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Thanks for commenting, everyone--it's interesting to hear about the range of people's experiences.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I was shooting down an alley in a very dense red-pine plantation.

The alley was about 10-15 feet wide at the furthest point; the deer (there were two does) didn't seem bothered by the muzzle report (or by the lead flying over the back of the one).

Anyway, thanks again, and good hunting!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote