THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Axis deer hunting or other Texas exotic?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Axis deer hunting or other Texas exotic?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been exploring the idea of doing an Axis or other Texas exotic species for something new and different.

I was wondering if any of you who have done it could recommend an outfitter.

Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
muley mike- check him out in the outfitters tab

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Check with Mike at West Texas Hunt Organization

https://www.westtexashunt.com

He has a guide named Tyler that really knows his stuff and is a pleasure to hunt with.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are so many options and so many operations you will just have to do some research and check references.

I do not actually know anything perrsonally about Mulie Mike but he seems to have a lot of satisfied clients and offersc as pretty range of hunting/species options.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info, I will check out Mike!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a bunch of good outfits that offer axis hunting. Keep in mind they can be hard antlered anytime during the year, with the majority in the spring/early summer.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a few days I am doing an Axis and Blackbuck hunt booked through Muley Mike.
At this point I can say all dealings with Mike have been thoroughhly professional, courteous and satisfactory.
This will be my first Texas hunt.
Good luck in finding your ideal hunt.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Jettons at Chalk Creek are a great family. I have family that work at Escondido. Can't go wrong with either.

http://www.chalkcreekexotics.com/

https://www.escondidoranch.com/

Posts: 57 | Location: Belton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are so many options and so many operations you will just have to do some research and check references.

+1 with emphasis on checking references.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Muley Mike. Successfully hunted with him last year and am booked again for this year.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mulie Mike!

1- Answered all my questions, was professional
2- Easy to work with
3- Great guide
4- took a great trophy on the second day
5- He called the guide to see how the hunt was
going and followed up with me
6- great price

I hunted with him in September. Thanks to this site,
I was able to find out about him.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I hunted free range Axis 2 1/2 years ago with Hunter Ross and Desert Safaris. They are a top notch outfit.

I've seen so many good reviews of Mike McKinney (Mulie Mike) of WTO on several different forums. I hunted whitetail this year on one of his places in Sonora and it was great. I highly recommend Mike and WTO. I found his prices much more competitive. I think Mike offers low and high fence options for Axis. I have a low fenced Sika deer hunt set up with him in 2018.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sika deer during the rut!! They sound like a miniature elk.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that Texas is a big state and has some huge ranches..Not all hunts are high fenced hunts by a long shot..A large fenced ranch can be a challenging fair chase hunt..Chose your hunt with care and enjoy.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of EddieWalker
posted Hide Post
Texas is HUGE. Axis are almost everywhere. You need to decide what you want in a hunt, then where you want to fly to. Big airports are spread out, then it's hours of driving to get there and back. Do you want to hunt free range axis, or are you OK with hunting them inside an 8 foot fence? Are you wanting a really nice trophy for the wall or will any mature buck do? If you hunt free range, you might go days without seeing an animal, or you might only see a few bucks without a single one being a decent trophy. If you hunt high fence, you need to decide if the number of acres are important. Some ranches are only 100 acres, others are thousands of acres. Lastly, what type of accommodations do you want? Is it just you or will you be bringing kids or a spouse? Hotels are in town and can be as nice as what you want to spend, but you also have to realize that in some smaller towns, you will never find fancy. Lodges on the property can include everything from all meals to no meals. Who is going to do the taxidermy? I always bring my cape and horns home with me, but others seem to be happy leaving them there and having it shipped home. You need to know all the answers to your questions before you can find the right place to go for you.

Posts: 129 | Location: Tyler, TX | Registered: 23 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind they can be hard antlered anytime during the year, with the majority in the spring/early summer.

30.06king
one of us
posted 31 December 2017 23:27
In a few days I am doing an Axis and Blackbuck hunt booked through Muley Mike.
At this point I can say all dealings with Mike have been thoroughhly professional, courteous and satisfactory.
This will be my first Texas hunt.
Good luck in finding your ideal hunt.

I am back home in New Zealand now after my short, 3 days, hunt. I did not shoot an Axis Buck although I came close. Saw more velvet than hard antlered bucks so the comment above re abundance of hard antlered bucks is worth noting. From my perspective it was a relatively easy hunting style ( vehicle and easy terrain ), although watch those cactus burrs, but Axis Deer themselves are challenging game. The bigger bucks especially behave as if they know their headgear makes them the object of hunters' desires. I would hunt them again anytime, and hope to do so.
I did take a Blackbuck. A smaller beast than I imagined but a very attractive trophy.
https://drive.google.com/file/...FDr/view?usp=sharing

I drove around the parts of Texas I visited. Yep, sure is big !

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to shoot a Texas Blackbuck. Can you say what ranch or near what town you hunted the Blackbuck?

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Always wanted to shoot a Texas Blackbuck. Can you say what ranch or near what town you hunted the Blackbuck?

Epperson Ranches ( owner William Epperson), literally 5 min. drive from town of Rocksprings.
Mike McKinny ( Muley Mike ), West Texas Hunt Organisation, is the guy who books hunters here.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Epperson Ranches ( owner William Epperson), literally 5 min. drive from town of Rocksprings.
Mike McKinny ( Muley Mike ), West Texas Hunt Organisation, is the guy who books hunters here.[/QUOTE]

Nice! Thank you, love that area. Had a great whitetail lease in Sonora years ago.

Dave

Posts: 927 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted a lot of exotics with Dan Moody, mostly around Uvalde/leakey. We hunted aoudad near Sanderson. I preferred to hunt Blackbuck in the winter (they get "blacker") and Axis in the summer (more hard antlered then) though it can be miserably hot then! ha. Dan can also put you on hogs, you can dog them (stick them with a knife, too medieval for me!) Night shoot them or hunt over bait. He's a great guy and has access to hundreds of thousands of acres!

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best of the goats is the West Texas Audad hunts in far West Texas, Also Lots of Muflons in West Texas, they sure do bar b que up nice..Had them on my ranch but just shot them for personal use now and then..Allowed some of my deer hunters to shot one or two...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote