THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Canadian spring bear hunt in area not hunted for 40 years!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian spring bear hunt in area not hunted for 40 years!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
My wife and I will be part of the first group of hunters to hunt spring black bear in a Canadian Provincial Park around Lac Mourier in western Quebec in over 40 years. We will hunt and fish for a week out of the Auberge Cartier fishing lodge.

We were told that several people have been killed and others injured or frightened by large, aggressive black bears in the Park in recent years. The Fish and Game Dept. decided it was time to reduce their numbers and teach the rest to have some respect for humans in the Park. They have issued 50 spring bear permits to Auberge Cartier. We are told to expect to kill 400+ pound black bears if we are selective.

We will fly into Val d'0r, Quebec, then drive to the lodge. Boats, motors and gas are furnished for fishing during the day, 4 wheelers are furnished for the trip to the baited stands in the afternoon. This will be my wife's first big-game animal if everything works out as expected. It should be a great time!

Can any of our Canadian friends on the forum tell me more about this area and the Provincial Park we will be hunting in? What kind of weather should we expect in this area during late May? Will the black flies and mosquitos be a problem that early? What fishing tackle and lures should we take?

If anyone else is interested in this hunt, take a look at their website at www.aubergecartier.com

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

[This message has been edited by Mark in SC (edited 04-27-2002).]

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to try the poutine at the local chip shop (or frites as the quebecers call them)

I've worked in that area in the past. And I Moose hunt just south of there in the fall.

You can expect the moskitos and black flies to be voracious in Late May, especially to "tourists" that are not used to them. Bring a bug hat (moskito netting hat) just in case. You might consider bringing a bug jacket.If you don't need them great they don't take up much space. but if the bugs are bad you will be thankful for them.

Bringing "Deep Woods Off" bug spray would probably be a good idea.

The weather is beginning to warm at that time of your so expect some cool nights in the 40's and warm days up to the 70's or even higher if there is a heat wave.

As to fishing. that part of the de Laverendrye park (or is the camp in a ZEC?) should be full of Pike and Walleye. A good medium weight spinning rod. 10-15 pound test (more if you are trolling) and a bunch of red and white or 5 of diamonds (yellow with 5 red diamonds) Spoons (from 1- 2 inches long) would work for casting from shore. Bring wire leaders because the pike's teeth will cut the monofilament.

Rapalas (or equivalent) work well for trolling

The pike will really take anything especially if it has red in it.

yellow, fuscia and Black (mister twister) lead headed Jigs with rubber tails also work well depending on water color. Check with the outfitter what tackle/lures work best. I suspect that you will do a combination of trolling and casting. Some of the lakes can be rocky so bring lots of lures to replace the many that you will loose due to snags.

Good Luck with the hunt, there are some big Fat bears in the region. Come back and report what you get.

email me directly if you want more info.

RH

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 04-28-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Rockhead, thanks for your reply and all the useful information.

What the hell is poutine? I really enjoy trying different foods, but, even not knowing what it is, poutine doesn't sound good.

We'll be ready for the bugs, don't worry! Here in coastal South Carolina we deal with ticks, chiggers, gnats, deer flies and mosquitos pretty much year-round. I wear out a Shannon Bug Tamer outfit every two years.
I've been deer and hog hunting in the swamps here in December wearing nothing but a tee shirt, running shorts, bug jacket and pants and jungle boots. The heat,the bugs and the snakes keep the sissys out of the woods. Around here, if you want to hunt, you gotta love to suffer!

The cool weather sure sounds nice. We have 95 degree days and 70 degree nights here already, and the dog days of summer are still a month away!

I'm looking forward to the fishing almost as much as the hunting. I've caught lots of fish over the years, but basically only saltwater species. I've never fished for pike or walleye. Will the same lures work for both? In the walleye fishing I have seen on some of the outdoor shows, it looks like they use primarily live bait, minnows, leeches or worms. I'm really looking forward to a plate full of fried walleye!

We'll be hunting out of the Auberge-Cartier lodge on Lac Mourier. They say that it is about 1 1/2 hours away from the area of Laverendrye Park where we will be hunting. We'll fish all morning then go to the bear stands in the afternoon and sit until dark.

They also offer moose hunts; you might want to consider booking a moose hunt with them.

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

In Quebec you will not be able to use live bait. except worms and maybe leeches. allowed.

I have also worked in N carolina So I am familiar with your vermin (the bugs and snakes).

On the plus side even though the flies will be probably worse than in S. Carolina, Quebec does not have any: Water mocasins, Rattlers, Chiggers, Ticks or Fire ants, so you can sit down on the ground anywhere.

I'm not sure what you have for fishing tackle but if you bass fish similar tackle works for Pike and walleye. Oh bring a pair of needle nose pliers the Pike have sharp teeth. I have the best luck fishing with spoons up to about 2-3" long ( daredevils red with white stripe or the reverse) are my favorite) and medium size Jigs about the same size. Spinners also work. Have a look at the Pro-Bass catalog to give you some ideas

or this site: http://www3.sympatico.ca/richlauzon58/

you might also check out http://walleyenews.com/

If you fly fish, you can try your luck with Pike, use large streamers. There may also be brook trout in some of the streams in the area so bring along some spinners

Walleye are excellent eating, my favorite

Pike are ok, I prefer them smoked

By the way Poutine is a quebec concoction of Real fresh cut french fries (not the frozen kind), with cheese curds covered in Hot chicken sauce. Sounds awful but is really quite good.

RH

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MWP in SC>
posted
Rockhead, thanks for the info. and the links to lure and walleye sites, they were very helpful.

If I have a chance, I'll definitely try the Poutine. I love cottage cheese and french fries, so why not combine them with some chicken gravy over the top? Sounds like a winner to me, albeit a bit high in carbs.

I appreciated your responses, that's the great thing about Saeed's forums, you can often find someone who has "been there and done that" to provide first-hand information.

I'll post a report when we get back on May 29th.

------------------
Life member of the NRA and GOA. Do you part to protect our Second Amendment rights and our hunting heritage!