New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, I've been bitten.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So what is the best value priced muzzleloader? One to hunt deer in Alabama for 3 weeks and maybe use on a early season elk hunt. What would you recommend? A knight? A thompson center or........?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I use and like a T/C Encore 209X50. I've been shooting 260 grain Precision Rifle Dead Center saboted bullets over 130 grains of Hodgdon Triple 7 for some pretty good groups and nice on-game performance. I really like the versatility of the Encore, but as you have other rifles to fill specific functions, this may not appeal to you as much. The Encore does have a different "feel" to it, but one I find refreshing and conducive to fairly good shooting. However, if you'd rather stick with the traditional feel of a rifle, you might be better served with a Knight or T/C (non-Encore) in-line like the Black Diamond or Omega. The Remington 700ML gets pretty decent reviews, though I don't like its complicated bolt design (pain to clean). Another option might be the Savage ML with Accutrigger. I hear good things about them, and the ability to shoot smokeless powder might appeal to you (is it legal in AL?).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong but I think some states out west do not allow a MZ that has a 209 primer. In other words I think they require a percussion cap or flint. So get a MZ that you can convert to caps if you prefer primers.

I shoot caps on mind because it does not accept the 209s but my son shoots 209 on his and it will take either.

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Savage ML10II!

Simply the Best.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You definitely need to check out where you'll be hunting first. Many states don't allow inlines. If the only states that you might hunt DO allow them, the encore is great, versitle, powerful. But if you might hunt somwhere that prohibits them, you might want to consider something like a Lyman Plains Rifle.

The slow twist round ball barrel is all you'll ever need for deer.

The fast twist barrel (I believe its called a hunter and comes w/ a rear aperature sight) for sabot & Maxis. Good for deer & elk.

I like this gun because having both barrels you enjoy the traditional shooting of the round ball on Coyotes, Rabbits and deer, but easily switch to the fast twist barrel if you're after big stuff. You can get extra barrels for them from Midsouth Shooters supply:

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a CVA Kodiak Magnum. Put a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 1.75-6X scope on it and took it to the range. I use 2 American Pioneer powder sticks (100 gr) and a CVA Powerbelt . The thing is incredible, it gives 1 1/2 " groups at 100 yards. Not bad considering the whole rig including scope was under $300 !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Like everyone else all ready said, check the regs of every state that you want to hunt in. Some states restrict powder type, barrel length and one even requires that flintlock only be used.
BTW, bowhuntrrl your posts are much more interesting all of a sudden.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bowhuntrrl and Fjold,

You guys are killing me Cool How can I work with all the blood rushing from my brain? Big Grin

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are going to think you posted this in the Ignorance Crater! Big Grin I personally prefer the look and feel of a Hawken type rifle and would opt for a custom shop Lyman Great Plains Caplock in 54cal, but then that is my ideal. I am Very sure that you will get lots of suggestions! Wink derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
If it is In-line, then the Thompson Center Encore is the way to go. You can interchange other barrels on it, which is a big plus.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
If it is In-line, then the Thompson Center Encore is the way to go. You can interchange other barrels on it, which is a big plus.

Only problem is that it costs 3-4 times as much as many other muzzleloaders out there!! On top of that, they aren't legal in many states, mine for one !!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote