Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Looking at those numbers for Arizona I would have to guess someone(?) has added the roughly 27.1% (19.8 million acres) of Arizona which is owned by 21 recognised native tribes ("domestic dependent nation's") to the "Private Land" column.

There are some excellent big game hunting opportunities under tribal jurisdiction on several of these Tribal lands.

Of course for the sake of argument, State hunting and fishing privileges will not apply on the Tribal lands like they will on the rest of Arizona's "private land."

Posts: 3048 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
EXACTLY what public land has been included in those figures?

I just C/Pd the information without really looking at it much, but I presume millions of acres of Tribal land is included as private land, which it should be, if that's what you're talking about in AZ!

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Writer:
EXACTLY what public land has been included in those figures?

I just C/Pd the information without really looking at it much, but I presume millions of acres of Tribal land is included as private land, which it should be, if that's what you're talking about in AZ!

I'm also guessing that the "public" land includes only that controlled by the Federal agencies and does not include AZ State Trust land, which is open to LICENSED hunters and fishermen but not to the general public. So the 9.2 million acres of STL would change the percentages quite a bit.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
As mentioned elsewhere, land ownership has nothing to do with whether or not HSUS and FOA can convince voters to ban the hunting of mountain lions. Arizona is just the start. Win or lose, what they learn here will be used in campaigns to end mountain lion hunting across the west.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who don't run dogs or might be physically unable to chase the dogs I would recommend using predator calls. Many Mt Lions will come into distress calls. I have a couple of friends who live in CO and UT who have both called in big cats with predator calls. I've personally never called in one but have seen them in the wild when hunting for Elk or deer.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those who don't run dogs or might be physically unable to chase the dogs I would recommend using predator calls. Many Mt Lions will come into distress calls. I have a couple of friends who live in CO and UT who have both called in big cats with predator calls. I've personally never called in one but have seen them in the wild when hunting for Elk or deer.

Those would be my preferred way of getting a lion,

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a misconception of what hunting is all about..Now sitting in a covered camouflaged stand or a stand mounted up high in a box, both with coffee and sandwiches, some with beer and hot tubs or swimming pools and a bar and bench rest...Is that OK!!Never hear much about it, driving around shooting antelope just 5 ft. out of a truck is sport? not much, See a lot of the same with Mule deer. Quail over dogs, ducks and turkey.

You can live in the highest of Lion population and never see one in a life time, or if your really lucky you may see one or two in a lifetime..I know I lived in such a Lion population on a 75,000 ac. ranch and in my life Ive seen 3 maybe 4 Lions while ranching and driving from the ranch to town..

I grew up hunting Mt. Lions in the Big Bend of Texas and the Davis Mountains of Texas, dogs and horses and when the horse went down you jerked the saddle off and tied him up or turned him loose and started running, and Ive crawled on my belly in a cave barely small enough to allow me entrance, with a 22 pistol to shoot the lion, or out of a tree, had a whole herd of Javalina run over me to get out of a cave, and a sore back for a week, and the Lion had an escape route and never saw her again...Ive trapped my share of Lions also..I suppose until one has hunted Lions on there terms one is dealing with unreasonable expectations..Its mostly unsuccessful and mostly hard on the body.

I see it as sporting, and like ANY animal, some kills are easy and other are hard. With Lions there are no high fences, and no guarentees, they are not numbered or named like some high fence whitetails Bison or elk..The Lion is a free animal, mostly nocturnal, smart and crafty,will kill a dog, and make a hunter almost kill himself.. Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
But what is wrong with a hunter wanting to take the chance of calling one in?

I believe it is a legal method and I also believe that some folks have killed lions and black bears that came in to a call.

What ever happened to PERSONAL CHOICE concerning how an individual wants to hunt?

Yes, following hounds is a higher percentage hunt and that may be the only way I will ever kill one, but isn't MY decision on how I want to try and kill one?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote