New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleeping buck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever caught a buck sleeping in the middle of the day and shot him in his bed?Ever hear of this?I read one time were a apache indian said that was how he always killed his big buck,Just wondered if this was folk lore or it really can be done.I have been still hunting in the middle of the day looking for a beded buck,if the wind is right i believe this will work.iam not apache but do have cherokee blood,i hope the buck willnot know the difference! thumbSeems like a Hard way to hunt
but that always makes the harvest that much sweeter! wave

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I don't know about sneaking up on a bedded buck. They usually have the wind at their back. That way, they can smell behind them and see in front of them. Maybe it would work if you approached from a quartering away direction.

By the way, did I see your picture in GON?

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot one in his bed 2 years ago, but only because he bedded down about 75 yards accross from me on another ridge.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shot a forkhorn on a Colorado deer/elk hunt about 5 years ago at 20 feet. He was sleeping with his head on the ground.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once killed a spike bull elk in his bed with a muzzleloader in Colorado. This was before they had point restrictions. I've also killed 2 whitetail bucks with one bullet when they were bedded on a friends ranch. Didn't know there were 2 of them though. That was a little unsettling. Thank God we had 2 buck tags available and my father was with me at the time.

I guess when you spend almost every availabl free minute hunting something, you can see just about anything once or twice.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a blacktail at about 4 paces once--came over this rise in some timber and he was laying there facing away from me--once he lifted his head it was all over---it wasn't an intended sneak, just lucky, but guys do sneak up on deer and other game all the time--mostly archery though I'd say---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose once in my pajamas. thumb

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I shot a 5 x 4 whitetail last fall in it's bed with it's head down sleeping. It was 175 yds. away laying in a small cattail swamp when we spotted him, I took a good rest and shot him in the neck. It was the first I shot while it was sleeping

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Bill what was a moose doing in your pajamas?
roflmao

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a muley buck lying in its bed, and could have shot a nice whitetail at 10 yards in its bed, but flushed it to a buddy on the other side of the ditch, who then proceeded to miss it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a mulie sleeping at 350 yards away in eastern Montana. Didn't even know what hit him.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
bbh,
I shot a big ol blacktail buck in his bed sleeping last year. I was still hunting on a rainy day, saw him bedded down in the remnants of an old rotten log at about 50 yds. He got a rude awakening! This year also killed a blacktail in his bed on the same ridge as last year. This one was laying down nibbling on any brush he could reach. After watching him for about 5 minutes I tipped him over with a head shot. Was just a dink buck so it didnt matter if the skull was messed up.

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote