Find
Notify
Tools

Gator huntin'
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I just got to thinking this would be a wonderful change of pace, and give a fella a chance to see some 'glades. Who has hunted gators here? Does it have to be at night?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did it once. And it was a daytime thing. I went with one of the problem alligator hunters in FL. Had a good time. We took 3 that day with the biggest being a tad under 9 ft.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've got a good friend who guides for gators if you need a place to go. He finished up pretty well this year.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, PM incoming.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This may be a silly question but.....can a non-res do a DIY gator hunt in FL? I just looked online and it states there's a drawing for a $1022 non-res public water TRAPPING permit, but it then uses the term trapping and hunting interchangeably. Is it feasible?

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don hampton of h and h gator hunts. One of the best in the business.jim Shockey agrees with meSmiler
I went to shoot one with the rifle during the day, but ended up crossbowing one at night. 11.5 footer. Sooo glad did the night hunt as it was an Awesome experince, one ill never forget. I was gone less than 24 hours. Just an amazing hunt.
Please pm me with any questions.
Highly recomended.
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not easily....
It probably is more properly classified as "Trapping".. as the shooting is done to put down the caught gator... You don't legally shoot some random gator swimming in open water or laying in the sun on a golf course shore and hope for the best...

You also have to attend some classes, get properly certified, collect all the equipment you need, etc etc... Only then can you go out and "Hunt" gators (Meaning trap gators...)

Then - you gotta go find them.. properly catch one... kill it and bring it home...

Probably much easier and cheaper in the end to go with a licensed trapper/guide... You get to partake in ALL the fun without having to deal with the giant hassle associated with Governmental "Help"....

quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
This may be a silly question but.....can a non-res do a DIY gator hunt in FL? I just looked online and it states there's a drawing for a $1022 non-res public water TRAPPING permit, but it then uses the term trapping and hunting interchangeably. Is it feasible?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TJ....I'm sure you're exactly correct. I'm just stubborn and always think of DIY before I realize that logistically it's just not feasible living 1000s of miles away.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Ann,

PM incoming. Would love to do something like this

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
It's a great hunt. Brought the family to Florida and they went to sea world one day and I went gator hunting and only took about 6 hrs total. Hunted the sluces and took a 10 ft gator. Great weather-compared to Montana in the winter- great people and had a great family vacation..... patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote