THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Fail Safe or Sierria Game kings for moose

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fail Safe or Sierria Game kings for moose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok I have some 230gr. Fail Safes and some 225gr. Sierria Game Kings. for my .338 Win Mag. both shoot excelent!

Witch would you choose for Eastern Moose (Quebec) shots will be between 50yds -200yds.

I have about 200 of each.

Thanks

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Fail Safe.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I would go with the Fail Safe.

+1

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I also would use the Fail Safe bullets.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Fail Safes are a premium bullet, I would use them.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Most premium bullets like the Nosler Partition and the Failsafe were developed to get deeper penetration than standard cup and core bullets like the Sierra GameKing on large animals like moose and elk.

I've only shot 2 moose. Both practically dropped in their tracks from a single (each) 180 gr Partition from my .30 Gibbs.

With the choices you gave, I would use the Failsafe on your moose hunt.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Failsafes! My favorite bullet, pity its not on the market anymore. One of these days ill try those XP3 bullets that replaced them. I think its similar, but without the steel cup

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another +1 for the Fail Safes.

Posts: 121 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: 10 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either will do the job just fine. I had no problem fully penetrating eastern moose with Hornady 180gr spire points out of my 300 Win mag at 3100fps. They are not that tough to put down and you don't need premium bullets to do the job.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Failsafes.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Which ever ones shoot more accurately in your rifle. Both will work fine.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLH4570:
Fail Safes

Yep, Fail Safes. I, unfortuantely, used up the last of my 7mm supply in 2003. Damn good bullet. Not the most accurate, but good enough and I never had any lost animals or "failures". (Hence the name, I suppose).

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote