New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utah CA bighorn
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am being lobbied hard to big on a tag in an upcoming auction. Has anyone ever hunted the CA bighorns in UT? If so, could you provide any details.

Thanks.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Rich LaRocco a call at hunts.net. He's a very knowledgeable and honest guy and knows Utah like the back of his hand.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
maybe heathington is available to guide? sofa

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
One of my best friends bought the tag on the Newfoundland Range this past year. He gave the tag to his daughter and she killed a beautiful ram. I'm literally boarding a plane to Mexico for a week of mule deer hunting but PM me and I can get you in touch with them and you can get all the info you would want

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
PM sent Larry. Hope it helps

Drummond

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah has 3 units which offer Cali Bighorn hunts. Antelope Island, Stansbury, and the Newfoundlands. I don't think there is an auction permit for the Stanbury unit. All Cali sheep in Utah are transplants from the Antelope Island herd.

Antelope Island is a State Park which sits in the Great Salt Lake. It has been hunted for 2 years, with 2 tags given each year. The auction hunter is allowed to hunt first, then the public hunter goes later. You can Google Antelope Island to see the terrain/size/etc. The island sits 15 minutes from hotels. There is a but of bad publicity with havin the hunt on the Island.

The Newfys are on the boarder of Utah and Nevada. Steeper and farther away from any lodging. It is really the middle of no where. Beautiful country. Steep and rocky, but you can catch sheep from the base to the top. Lots of sheep out there, good mature ram potential. The Utah WSF actually has asked the UDWR to give more ram tags as there is an abundance. (it is rare for them to ask for more permits). The UDWR only issues a handful of permits each year.

I would choose the Newfys for the experience. Antelope Island is a literal walk-in-the-park. Which unit are you considering?

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is near Price. I can't remember the name.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Utah does not have big sheep; overall. Beautiful sheep and lots of them in certain areas but the state is not known for high scoring sheep.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, there has been some confusion. The December auction of the CA bighorn tag is for residents only. The Newfoundland tag is being auctioned in February.

Drummond, I will make contact with your friend early next year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything near Price will be Rocky Mtn Bighorns. The Cali bighorns are in the central/west portion of the state. The Range Creek Unit is near Price and is a great hunt. The Rattlesnake unit, south of the Range Creek, is the best Rocky unit in the state.

Utah also has no "resident only" auctions. Not that I am aware of anyway. They want all the $$$$ they can get off those tags.

Another avenue is with the Ute Indian Tribe. They shoot some 190+ Rockies there.

Here is thread on an Antelope Island hunt from this year:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/...DCForumID8/5163.html

Here are two threads on the Newfoundlands:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/...DCForumID8/4797.html
http://www.monstermuleys.info/.../DCForumID52/56.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC:

Check the UT-FNAWS website.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry- That is very interesting about the auction. Thanks for the information. I think they are hurting the program by only allowing Utah Residents to bid on the permits. The auction tags are given to fund special programs and disallowing non-residents to participate diminishes the money and thus the program. That stance on the those 2 permits will cost the programs tens of thousands.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread. The Nine-Mile permit would be a good hunt for Utah Rocky Bighorns. The Cali Bighorn (called rocky in Utah DWR management) permit on the Newfys will sale in Feb most likely-- as you already stated. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC:

I agree.

I already have a desert big horn. I need to decide if I can handle the climbing for the CA big horn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I would Talk to Randy Johnson about anything sheepy in Utah! I drew the Dirty Devil Desert Sheep tag at the Expo in 2010. I didn't Hire Randy, long story about a tuff time financially, but if it wasn't for him I might not have killed my ram. He will be there in Feb No doubt and if you are coming in could talk to him personally. Here's his web site www.highdesertsheepguides.com . Even if you don't hunt with him I guarentee you will enjoy talking sheep with him. Good Luck.

Posts: 265 | Location: Corvallis,montana | Registered: 10 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am being lobbied hard to big on a tag in an upcoming auction. Has anyone ever hunted the CA bighorns in UT? If so, could you provide any details.

Thanks.

Larry, I must ask you, what do you hope to really leave as your lasting conservation legacy? I mean, do you really feel that your efforts will be remembered for actually making a difference in conservation? if so, where?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I don't care if what I have done is remembered or not. If I buy that tag, that will be something north of $100,000 I have contributed to the conservation of wild sheep in Utah over the last 3 years. Surely, this will have been helpful to conservation of the sheep.