New
Find
Notify
Tools

460 Weatherby Mag ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[Confused] A friend has offered me a Mark V 460 Weatherby Mag that's in great, nearly mint condition. It's ported, polished and pretty. I use a 300 Win Mag and a 375 H&H for elk, and have no idea what I'd do with a 460, except shut down the damned trash truck when it disturbs me on a quiet Saturday morning. And yes, it would be fun to have just because, even if I couldn't afford the ammo. Are these Weatherbeasts still in use or appreciated anywhere?

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By ported I'll take it that you mean it has the old Pendelton De-Kicker-should have around 64 tiny holes in it.

In answer to your question on another forum,she'll go anywhere from $900 to $1500.I don't think there's really a set value for used (I've never seen a "used" 460-more like "previously owned,fired two rounds"),as I've see them range from $900-$1100 frequently,and see them go ran for over $2000 occasionaly,even though you can get a brand new one from Weatherby with the Accubrake for $1800. [Confused] [Roll Eyes]

The 460,when loaded properly,is good for elephant and cape buffalo.She'll do a number on just about anything that walks,crawls or slithers.

The Pendelton brake only cuts down something like 5%,so if you try pushing 500s over about 2200 FPS,she'll get your attention REALLY fast,espically if the biggest you're used to is the 375,which is VERY mundane compared to this baby.

Should you get it and decide it's just way too much fun to shoot [Wink] please contact me.I'll trade you a few light kickers for it.Like a good friend likes to tell me,"Son,you're a glutton for punishment". [Big Grin]

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Carl>
posted
Hello;
If you can get the Weatherby for a decent price take it, there is nothing much better unless you go truly Custom Gun. I had a 460 and sold it after I had to cancel my Afrika Trip. The only drawback I noticed with full 500 grain loads was a bigger muzzleblast then the 458, recoil seemed not much different. god Lucck, Carl.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello MT.
Go for it!! You'll probably never really NEED it for anything, but it's fun to deal with the pure power!! [Big Grin]
I've seen people here talking about "flinching", and I must say:
Remove that stupid muzzlebreak, and do some seriouse accuracy testing from a bench with some "full throttle" 500 grain loads with this lady. Then....you'll know what a "flinch" is!! [Eek!]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can truly teach one to flinch in proper style. However it has a wonderfull trait, that big case builds about 38,000 PSI with a 500 gr. bullet at 2200 FPS therefore it kicks about like a 338 or 375 with that load...I like the 460 Wby caliber, I am not a fan of the action or stock...

Posts: 41941 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm really on your side there, Ray! [Wink]
I dont like the Weatherby rifles myself. I have my 460 buildt on a BRNO 602 action, and with a straight classic laminate -stock. I like what my stock do, but I'd prefer walnut though. [Frown]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian M:
...I don't think there's really a set value for used (I've never seen a "used" 460-more like "previously owned,fired two rounds"),as I've see them range from $900-$1100 frequently,

The last one I saw "previously(currently at the time) owned" was setting on a corner table at a Gun Show. Beautiful blueing that looked so deep it gave the impression you could reach into it. It was wearing the beautiful super fancy inlaid stock.

The guy was asking $900 for it and was including the remaining 17 rounds (plus the 3 spent cartridges) from the first box fired in it. Talked to him awhile and come to find out the 3rd shot broke his collar bone.

Didn't really need it for our Deer, Hogs and Black Bears in the Carolinas, so I let him keep it. [Wink] Sure was a beautiful piece of work those Japs did on it back then.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a good deer rifle when filled with FFFG and a 500 gr paper patch. Maybe buffalo too. Definately Hondas.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote